Author Topic: Confusing Signs  (Read 2254 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Confusing Signs
« on: 18:33:41, 06/08/07 »
Hi chaps,

I just posted a new 'trip report' in Rest of England, but there was something I alluded to, but thought it deserved a topic of its own and that is one of confusing signs on fences and stiles.

On the Cottam walk I have just posted, we came upon a field and a gate (as you tend to do), on the fence post was the familiar 'Public Bridleway' sign, and another sign below it which I haven't come across before.  A little figure in a red ring crossed out - reminding me of the no smoking signs - with the words "No Access Land" beneath it.  I took a picture of it as I thought I'd collect your opinions on it.

Needless to say I carried on .. and found in the grass beyond a "Bull in Field" sign, so presumed that it had something to do with this ... still, confused me.  ???

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: Confusing Signs
« Reply #1 on: 21:20:47, 06/08/07 »
I think, and I'm willing to be corrected here, is that it means you follow the advice in American Werewolf in London - Don't stray from the path.

At the weekend Bunsters Hill was open access land, as we strayed from the path we wanted we went straight up and over to get back on course.

If this wasn't open access land we'd have had to stay with the route we were on. So I'd say it's the opposite of open access land, you can;t roam as you please you have to stick to the designated routes.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Feriol

« Reply #2 on: 23:13:02, 06/08/07 »
It does mean the land isn't open access. The sign may be in place because it is close to open access land, or due to a temporary restriction on land that usually is open access.

Or it could be because some people got confused and thought everywhere became open access, so some land owners may be putting signs up stop unlawful wondering.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:18:45, 07/08/07 »
Thanks for that.

That seems to make some sense out of it.  I was beginning to doubt myself there for a minute.  It would make sense that a farmer wouldn't want us roaming all over the place if there was a bull in the field.

Not too sure about the American Werewolf analogy mine, I was nervous enough with a bull lurking around, without contending with werewolves.   :o

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:10:23, 07/08/07 »

Not too sure about the American Werewolf analogy mine, I was nervous enough with a bull lurking around, without contending with werewolves.   :o

You have to remember the film. In the beginning to the two walkers (ironic no?) were leaving a country pub late at night and were told - don't stray from the path.

They did ofcourse, otherwise it would be a very short film.

Oh and the lead singer of Showaddywaddy (who sang one of the theme songs IIRC) was born in the town where I currently live - although I'm moving.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:20:35, 09/08/07 »
Oh, of course I remember the film - I have the special edition just across the room - it must be one of the films that succeeded in putting people off hiking for a while.  I was quite young when I first saw it, and I know it put the heebie-jeebies up me.  Open countryside at night? No way!

Aren't I right in thinking that it was based in the Nth York Moors, but actually filmed on Dartmoor?

I take it you're not moving because the lead singer from Showaddywaddy comes from the same town?  ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:38:01, 09/08/07 »
One of the first films I remember, don't have it any more.

I'm not sure where it was filmed (I do recall Rik Mayall was in the pub scene).

Well it's as good an excuse as any for moving!
Dazza
--------

titaniumdude

« Reply #7 on: 00:02:07, 24/08/07 »
It was filmed in the Yorkshire Dales and the pub scene was filmed in a rather well known Dartmoor pub called The Halfway House which has been there for years, though the welcome has got somewhat warmer over time.  The sign means that 'you are about to leave access land'.  You could've easily missed the one that told you that you were just about to enter access land quite easily.  The first time I came across one of these a couple of years ago I thought it meant 'no hikers' and took a long detour around the area (this interpretation wasn't aided by the beware of the bull sign in close proximity). 
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

peter60

« Reply #8 on: 12:44:40, 30/08/07 »
Here's my favourite confusing sign - found on the Herefordshire Trail South of Kington:

There are only four paths in reality, but six pointers!

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:00:19, 03/09/07 »
Ha! Ha! Ha! That's excellent.  I would be still there now, thinking.  ::)

peter60

« Reply #10 on: 15:12:19, 03/09/07 »
Here's a naughty shot that I took of a couple of colleagues snapped at just the right moment!  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy