Author Topic: Cows again  (Read 7537 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Cows again
« Reply #60 on: 07:57:13, 05/10/20 »
More sad news  :(

Yet there will still be replies from some of the clever folk on here saying it is people's perception of cows behaviour or the way they have re-acted to the cattle that has been the problem.

Hate will never win

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 09:22:29, 05/10/20 »

Yet there will still be replies from some of the clever folk on here saying it is people's perception of cows behaviour or the way they have re-acted to the cattle that has been the problem.

Agreed. It irritates me to read blasé tutorials on how to deal with cattle. Many here have walked past cattle without incident countless times, but it only takes one near miss or serious encounter to change ones attitude and I suspect that the blasé ones haven't had any of those yet.

I think that members of a walking forum should warn less experienced walkers of the potential dangers of cattle in terms of being wary, and taking avoiding action whenever possible rather than taking the tough guy approach or sneering at those who choose caution.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Murphy

« Reply #62 on: 10:11:08, 05/10/20 »
April/WD
Your words are so true. I stopped posting on here because of belittling comments about my experiences of cattle.  Even the most experienced of us can have issues, with or without dogs, and I find the previous  blase attitude of some on here to be irresponsible. I do hope we all do take the question of dangers of cattle seriously and we don’t go down this route again. Believe me as one who knows from experience you really do need to take care

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 10:34:05, 05/10/20 »

If you go far enough back in my posts I think it will be found that I sang from that particular song sheet. But before I go wholehearted into the this line or reasoning, I feel those here, who think me too critical of landowners and farmers, should reall be thinking where does the blame really lie.
Agreed. It irritates me to read blasé tutorials on how to deal with cattle. Many here have walked past cattle without incident countless times, but it only takes one near miss or serious encounter to change ones attitude and I suspect that the blasé ones haven't had any of those yet.

I think that members of a walking forum should warn less experienced walkers of the potential dangers of cattle in terms of being wary, and taking avoiding action whenever possible rather than taking the tough guy approach or sneering at those who choose caution.
Having been around on this forum for some years I think I can sense a lessening of those sentiments, yet I also believe that there is a sentiment of appeasement towards farmers or in actual terms the agricultural industry among the public in general. The whole issue livestock safety in the countryside is a series of chapters of mismanagement based one sectors unwillingness to take responsibility to change and it goes back decades. Perhaps the Livestock sector should have recognised some of the symptoms 30-40 years ago, but the real issue is the land managers failure to recognise that the public have right to be in the countryside, be there safely, without compromising access. 

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 10:43:18, 05/10/20 »
It is true there are incidents involving cows and walkers.  Most also involve dogs but they are very few and those involving walkers without dogs are even fewer.  There are other more common causes of injuries and deaths to walkers in the countryside.  Slips, falls, road traffic accidents, hypothermia, medical emergencies in remote locations.  A sense of proportion regarding risk is required.

Late edit - I posted in haste on my way out for a walk/paddle
« Last Edit: 12:39:36, 05/10/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 13:16:27, 05/10/20 »

Wholeheartedly agree April.  Unfortunately, it looks as if you have been proved correct.

Perhaps another topic could be started by anyone who wishes to discuss walking through livestock and leave this one available for those who wish to pay their respects to the loss of a life.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 13:51:49, 05/10/20 »
... the real issue is the land managers failure to recognise that the public have right to be in the countryside, be there safely, without compromising access.

I think you're absolutely right BWW.  O0

There are, of course, other causes of injury and death to walkers, but few (if any) involve unprovoked attacks by someone else's animal when walking on a public right of way. I would like to see real accountability in these circumstances so that it doesn't pay for livestock owners to take chances with people's lives.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 13:52:07, 05/10/20 »
I went on a 'livestock awareness course' a few years ago, should anyone here like the handout I was given please pm me your email and I'll send you a copy.
Where there's a will ...

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #68 on: 17:19:17, 05/10/20 »
This article, on the KillerCows.co.uk website, regarding the stats for attacks by cows, makes for some interesting reading

https://killercows.co.uk/facts-stats/cattle-attack-statistics-an-alternative-view/

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 17:43:56, 05/10/20 »
Interesting article.  Must say if I can find a way around cows I tend to take it, even if that means deviating from the ROW and trespassing  O0
Where there's a will ...

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 18:16:44, 05/10/20 »
Yes, a very interesting and well written article. Thanks.  O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 18:22:58, 05/10/20 »
Blimey I have walked near there :(
Can't recall any cows though.
RIP
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 18:30:51, 05/10/20 »
April/WD
Your words are so true. I stopped posting on here because of belittling comments about my experiences of cattle. 

I was thinking of you as I wrote the post this morning, I always remember what happened to you Murphy.

If you go far enough back in my posts I think it will be found that I sang from that particular song sheet.

I wasn't thinking about your posts when I wrote the post this morning BWW.

Wholeheartedly agree April. 

I always hope anyone who has lost someone to an attack by cattle does not read some of the posts on these topics where the blame is nearly always levelled at the walker by some posters. Not very respectful or helpful.

This article, on the KillerCows.co.uk website, regarding the stats for attacks by cows, makes for some interesting reading

https://killercows.co.uk/facts-stats/cattle-attack-statistics-an-alternative-view/

I remember reading this article a few years ago. The number of incidents involving cattle where injury has only just been avoided is not recorded except for websites like Killer Cows.

Must say if I can find a way around cows I tend to take it, even if that means deviating from the ROW and trespassing  O0

We were walking on Hadrian's Wall yesterday and there was a sign saying anyone who wanted to, could deviate from the right of way to avoid any cattle then rejoin it when the cattle were passed.
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 10:28:51, 06/10/20 »

Perhaps another topic could be started by anyone who wishes to discuss walking through livestock and leave this one available for those who wish to pay their respects to the loss of a life.
I would agree with this if it was a book of remembrance that the OP was asking for. Too often we get links without comment from an OP, so those commenting are blindly trying to join into a discussion without direction, not in this topic.

Todays news. I'm not going to go into it too much as its a friend of a friend. However I appreciate farmers have to graze livestock but its about time ROW were made safe with electric fencing to keep cows away from walkers. I dont trust cows and my family had dairy farms.
 https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/people/richmond-school-teacher-killed-cows-while-walking-his-dogs-2980002
But that does not seem to be the OP's purpose for posting the link to yet another tragic event. The article I posted, from the British farmer suggests more than electric fences, but shouldn't we as walkers allow our opinions be heard in open forum. There are many silent watchers and perhaps our opinions may go further. The British Farmer's article is a sad indictment of too little far too late. I first heard the warning signals at an Agricultural show in the 1970's, from cattle stewards, when it was my job to organize the all livestock parade in the main ring. Even then we were expected to recognize safety procedures.

Recently I met a farmer I knew from college days, he was doing community service, because as landowner, he was found jointly responsible for a fatal accident to a contractors employee. It was the NFU that managed to keep him out of prison not the CLA. Landowners repeatedly fail to own up to the reasons we have to have Rights of Way to access our countryside, it is because of their historical and repeated opposition to sharing the countryside.

If the head was made to take responsibility for it's tail, perhaps some meaningful safety protocols might be the result.
« Last Edit: 10:38:56, 06/10/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 13:05:21, 06/10/20 »
... but shouldn't we as walkers allow our opinions be heard in open forum. There are many silent watchers and perhaps our opinions may go further.

That is exactly the reason why I get irritated by macho and blasé accounts by some members who downplay the potential dangers from cattle. We should not forget that forum posts are read by a far, far greater number of casual visitors who are looking for information than we might imagine. Therefore (I believe), forum members have a responsibility to encourage caution and wariness in their posts on the subject, as well as giving advice based on experience that promotes a safety-first approach.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy