Author Topic: Rory Stewart  (Read 2641 times)

Pitboot

Re: Rory Stewart
« Reply #30 on: 14:41:29, 19/06/19 »
On the left, I know what you are talking about. His was not an award given to a close relative.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 14:42:47, 19/06/19 »
Then he is a toe rag beneath contempt.
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:15:34, 19/06/19 »
Theres a forum member, very infamous troublemaker of yesteryear who never seems to post now, thankfully. Claimed to have been in special forces. Was often on about it, along with many other bits of bull.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:21:48, 19/06/19 »
I know someone in the pub like this, he seems to go elsewhere for a few weeks and then reappears. When asked he also says he's been on a mission, mostly to the far east or the middle east. Just doing his duty for the motherland!

taxino8

« Reply #34 on: 21:15:54, 19/06/19 »
One example is the amount of people who claim they are or were in special forces, but none say they ever served as a cook or instrument tech.

Not quite the same thing but me and my mate are both Ex-Army, me a R.E.M.E. Mechanic and him a former W02 Head Chef, Catering Corps.
We now have our own taxis and were both called to a local pheasant shoot to pick up some people to take to York Train Station.
I was there in my Help for Heroes fleece when this guy pops out of the bothy where they had been having a good drink and said hello. He was from Northern Ireland, I know the accent and probably had former military or RUC service.
He says to me “what were you in?” R.E.M.E. says I.
He then turned to my mate, “what about you?”
He didn’t want to admit he was a cook so said “I served with many units”, this was strictly true but I found it a bit sad that he was too embarrassed to say he was in the A.C.C.
The weird thing is he had served in N.I., Kosovo and Gulf War1, I’d only been to N.I. so he should have been proud of what he’d done,

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:25:57, 19/06/19 »
Never be ashamed to be a chef.  I once had the RAF Mobile Catering Unit in my area of responsibility.   I was talking to one of the young Sky Gods who was telling me tales of daring do about being one of the first to fly into (and out of) theatre.  I just asked him if he enjoyed his meal when he got there.  Cooks are often like Engineers, first in, last out.
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #36 on: 21:29:10, 19/06/19 »
Never be ashamed to be a chef.  I once had the RAF Mobile Catering Unit in my area of responsibility.   I was talking to one of the young Sky Gods who was telling me tales of daring do about being one of the first to fly into (and out of) theatre.  I just asked him if he enjoyed his meal when he got there.  Cooks are often like Engineers, first in, last out.
I agree, we used to take the **ss out of them but were very glad to see them at the end of a hard few days on rat packs.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:47:17, 19/06/19 »
I know someone in the pub like this, he seems to go elsewhere for a few weeks and then reappears. When asked he also says he's been on a mission, mostly to the far east or the middle east. Just doing his duty for the motherland!

I watched a film ages ago call "The odd angry shot" about an Australian battalion in Vietnam. At the start of the film they were full of themselves "We're going to show them yanks how to do it" and all that sort of thing. Then they get out in the jungle on patrol and nothing happens. Day after day nothing, then BANG a snipers shot (hence the title). They try everything to get the sniper but never do. The film was the most accurate depiction of squaddies I've see, the swagger, the black humor right down to a tee. At the end of the film they go into the pub where it started, the barman asks if they'd just been in Vietnam and they answer "No mate we've just been on exercise," they just didn't want to talk about it.         

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:03:10, 20/06/19 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 15:28:33, 21/06/19 »
I miss him already.

I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of Rory Stewart.

He'll be back. :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:43:42, 21/06/19 »
My last contribution, I saw this story about him today. I miss him already.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rory-stewart-climbed-out-of-fifthfloor-window-and-scaled-building-after-getting-locked-out-of-office-a4171661.html
Very impressive considering there is a three foot overhang to clamber over.To be honest he takes himself a tad too seriously and that has been his downfall.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy