Author Topic: C2C in 2017  (Read 23338 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C in 2017
« Reply #15 on: 12:01:23, 29/09/16 »
I loved the Lion Inn. I camped there and arrived in rain and thick fog. When I eventually made it into the pub I met a bloke from the USA who grew tomatoes on a big scale. He gave all of us customers a talk about the different types, the cycles of the year, the type and cost of the equipment that is used, the ones that are used in ketchup as apposed to the ones that are put in tins, the ones that make money and the ones that don't, etc. Absolutely fascinating.  :-\

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:01:35, 29/09/16 »
I've done it but if I was to do it again I would try to re-route myself to avoid some of the road walking stretches. All in all a good hike, I have never really decided if the Lake District start, or to finish there is best way to do it?

I'll tell you in 3 weeks after I've finished at St. Bees  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:14:48, 30/09/16 »
Having walked the coast to coast now 9 times and planning my 10th, next year. I can recommend the walking poles for a long distance walk, saves a lot of stress on the knees, great for wet boggy sections and warding off animals, especially dogs. Although the walking poles can be a pain whilst going over stiles. A lot of the coast to coast route can be wet and boggy in places and one's to note are, at the top of Loft Beck, Greenup Edge, from Boredale Hause to the Knott, Nine Standards, Greystone Hills. Although, that depends on the time of the year and how much rain has fallen in recent months, but I've known these places to be bone dry, so it's down to luck, I guess. The Nine Standards is a tricky crossing in misty weather and a gps or a compass/1.25000 map is a must. A good alternative route is the green route, which leads to the B6270 road and a couple of miles to rejoin the route to Ney Gill. The downside is, you miss out on seeing the Nine Standards, but nothing stopping you going up to see them, if you can see them and retrace steps to the green route. from Keld to Reeth is a choice of two routes and that is the high and low paths. The high route takes you along old mine working and can be a little remote in places, but interesting, if you like old mine workings and it's history. the lower route is best in foul weather and that takes you along the river swale, but a lot of stiles and meadows. One idea is split it, that walk from Keld to Gunnerside Gill and walk to Gunnerdale via the Gill and then along the swale to Reeth.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:04:46, 11/10/16 »
Thanks. I had a go with poles this weekend and have become a convert, so will definitely be using those.

Can anyone give me some general info on picking up provisions along the route. I think b&bs/hostels will do a packed lunch but if we were to avoid that are we going to starve or are there small shps in places, or definitely nothing available in others. Hope that makes sense.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:38:40, 11/10/16 »
I do not cook en-route, prefer to go to pubs, etc and have never had problems in picking up provisions. There seemed to be shops, pubs and other places almost everywhere. A few longer stretches without such a place but I've never gone hungry.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:33:53, 11/10/16 »
We may well run (walk) into each other. Perhaps Kay and I, and anyone else on here who does it, should  have a red rose in our lapel, or carry a rolled up newspaper, so the we can spot any other forumites on the trail. I am really excited about it (I probably said that before ;D )

I suggested something like that after Hadrians Wall last year when we most likely passed April and Beefy,said hello to them but didn't realise!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:59:25, 11/10/16 »
Poles will definitely help, I didnt have any for the C2C 5 years ago and I had problems with my knees, but they were fine this year on the Pennine Way using poles.

C2C we managed to buy lunch a lot of the time, a few days we ordered a packed lunch. They can be quite expensive though and we only want a sandwich not all the other bits that come with it! On the Pennine way there were lots of days when we thought we wouldn't be able to get anything on the way, so rather than order a packed lunch we asked the B&Bs if we could just have a sandwich and most of them were fine with that and didnt charge us much. One only charged us 50p per sandwich!  If you put up your schedule some of us may be able to advise of places to buy. Evenings we always ate in pubs or the odd fish and chips in larger places.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:11:48, 11/10/16 »
There are shops in St. Bees, Cleator, Grasmere, Patterdale, Shap, Orton, Kirkby Stephen, Reeth, Richmond, Service Station at the A19 crossing before Ingleby Arncliffe, Osmotherley, Glaisdale and Grosmont...not sure if I missed any.

There are also some cafes along the way including Honister, Rosthwaite, Keld, Lordstones (at Carlton Bank) plus a few pubs.

As for poles, I'm trying them just now on my C2C and I'd say I've mostly used them for stability on wet/muddy descents. Never used poles really before and not sure if I'm using them properly or if they are actually helping.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:12:09, 11/10/16 »
That would be really helpful. I'll post it up when I get a chance. I think we're sorted for the evenings on the whole, just the lunches and don't want to be pubbing or cafe-ing too much.

Has anyone got any experience of Sherpa v packhorse for luggage transfer. They both seem similar but Sherpa is a bit cheaper but not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Thanks Bricam O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:21:11, 11/10/16 »
I've used Sherpa twice, never had any problems. Never used Packhorse so can't compare.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:17:33, 11/10/16 »
We used Sherpa, they were fine. A lot of people we met used Packhorse, again with no problems.

Rather be walking

« Reply #26 on: 12:29:55, 12/10/16 »
I've done it but if I was to do it again I would try to re-route myself to avoid some of the road walking stretches. All in all a good hike, I have never really decided if the Lake District start, or to finish there is best way to do it?
This Sept we completed St. Bees to Kirkby Stephen due to time restraints :( , (Kirkby Stephen to Robin Hood Bay next Year in May)  :)
Interestedly we chatted to walkers walking east to west and some wished they started at St. Bees  ???

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:06:18, 12/10/16 »
Just a brief note, Re: Poles, yes I know again! Obviously a lot of people find they help, I have in fact three sets, two of which are carbon and not cheap to purchase. i have triad and triad again to get on with them. My latest foray was a walk/run along the Dales Way, I got the poles out at about the two mile point and moving fastish, I reached Bolton Abbey 13.1 miles in 3 hours exactly, so just over 4mph. However at the 18 mile point i was quite badly knacked through all the 'poling'. I stashed them away and still walking at the same pace quickly recovered. My thoughts on this are, when moving fast and pushing hard you use more energy up than the benefit for speed is worth. At a more reasonable pace with gentle pushing, it may be another story.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:26:21, 12/10/16 »
I don't think I was pushing on the poles but more just using like a walking stick, or 2 walking sticks. which probably isn't correct but I found it helpful. Peter did show me how to use the straps correctly after I said they were making my hands sore. I'm sure loads of people will now want to tell me how to use them correctly and I have read all the threads on poles before but it just steadied me and helped a bit when I was tired.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

mikelaluz

« Reply #29 on: 12:34:17, 19/10/16 »
Hi Alewife

I'm new here but just returned from doing the first 4 days of the C2C (unfortunately having to do it in bite size chunks). Firstly on the Trekking Poles issue like many I was not a fan but had never really tried.

My daughter convinced me and I'm so glad she did. Not only the descents (which was my concern) but they make ascents particularly on steep uneven and very hard Cumbrian paths a great deal easier

One other point which I put on the C2C Wainwright Forum - Be very wary of the Southern route around Ennerdale Water at one pint about 80 ft up above the Lake on the path (reservoir) and around Robin Hoods Chair I found myself on a cliff edge and unable to turn to go back and had to traverse to a ledge down to right with my back to the cliff - This would not have been a problem with two people but I was travelling solo and unable to turn without fear of falling. I have to say I have no head for sheer heights and others may take it in their stride. Arriving at Black Sail two other sets of walkers had been warned and taken the Northern route around Ennerdale Water which is the far safer route.

Final point I was fine but several walkers experienced blisters on their feet through the sheer hardness of the ground on the first few days - my advice is well worn in boots and some of the higher cushioned Bridgedale Socks and also back to the trekking Poles they take a massive strain off the impact on your feet.

Regards

Mike
PS The guide book I used for info  Coast to Coast Path Henry Steadman

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy