Author Topic: suggested walks  (Read 1172 times)

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
suggested walks
« on: 13:08:44, 11/07/09 »
 :) :) :) :)

can anyone suggest some walks for me

sat; arrive walk needed (staying at hayfield) from 10am onwards if traffic is good
sun; walking kinder scout yippeee with ranger this time   O0
mon; walk needed but coming home in the evening

last time i went-only two weeks ago  ::) yikes is that all !!
i walked hollings x/man tor one day and got lost on kinder the next and went down grinsbrook !
so thinking of ladybower/win hill maybe ?
all suggestions appreciated
oh and whilst i'm fairly fit i am not a experienced climber  ;D ;D
I also have 2 collies with me too so need to be able to take my girls

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: suggested walks
« Reply #1 on: 13:35:27, 11/07/09 »
You don't say which route the ranger will be taking you on the Sunday but an option for the Saturday could be to head for Kinder Reservoir from Hayfield, follow the path to the left of the reservoir and head up William Clough to Ashop Head. From here follow the Pennine way onto Kinder's Plateau and stick to the edge path all the way to Kinder Low passing Kinder Downfall enroute. Continue along the Pennine Way to the path junction at the top of Jacob's Ladder and take a right to follow the bridleway past Edale Cross down to Coldwell Clough and ultimately back to Hayfield. All good and well defined paths so you shouldn't have any problems navigating this route solo. O0
« Last Edit: 13:37:15, 11/07/09 by Peakbagger »
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:35:59, 11/07/09 »
Hi colliecornor

If based in Hayfield, Apart from kinder Scout there is also some other excellent walks to be had in that area.
The ascent of Lantern pike to the west of Hayfield offers some wonderful views over towards Kinder Scout and to the south of Hayfield you have the two hills of Mount Fammine and South Head again excellent views to be had. Plus the bonus of these three tops is that while everyone else is to busy rushing up Williams Clough you will have these hills all to yourself and not meet many people on the way  O0
For Ladybower and Win Hill, There is a excellent walk of 7 miles that starts from Yorkshire Bridge and follows the banks of Ladybower before a gentle climb to the summit of Win Hill and one of the best viewpoints the peak District has to offer.

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:17:37, 11/07/09 »
hi this is all it says on web site ?

Walk Details Kinder High
8 mile walk over open moorland to the highest points on Kinder

but thanks for ideas bit nervous of kinder after getting lost so thus why im going with a ranger  ;D

thanks for the ladybower one may well try this on one of the other days

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:42:31, 11/07/09 »
'Open moorland' and 'highest points' means he's taking you off the main paths and into the peat. If you have them take gaiters, you'll most likely need them. ;) Have a good trip and be sure to let us know how you got on. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:43:43, 13/07/09 »
I have no gaiters new to it all and still finding my feet
not sure what to get first haven't got that much money at the moment  :(

need ;
walking boots -have good strong pair of dessert boots
rucksack-day sack only
gaiters
decent walking jacket -have a lightweight walking jacket with zip in fleece
waterproof trousers

i have nothing so need some under layers as well,i have lightweight trousers so they will have to do for now as the above things i feel are more urgent

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 09:32:23, 13/07/09 »
I have no gaiters new to it all and still finding my feet
not sure what to get first haven't got that much money at the moment  :(

need ;
walking boots -have good strong pair of dessert boots
rucksack-day sack only
gaiters
decent walking jacket -have a lightweight walking jacket with zip in fleece
waterproof trousers

i have nothing so need some under layers as well,i have lightweight trousers so they will have to do for now as the above things i feel are more urgent
I think boots are the most important and that's where you should spend your money.

We've made do with cheap alternatives for everything else, temporarily. Goretex trousers and base layers can wait until birthdays and Xmas.

Rucksack: £20 from TK Maxx. Not sure what make (Trek-something or other) but it's big enough and stable when it's on.

Gaiters: haven't bothered yet but we've been on a couple of walks where they would have been beneficial. I think cheap ones are about £15 a pair for no-name Goretex (Blacks, Millets, etc.). Saw some in TK Maxx for £8 I think, but not Goretex.

Decent walking jacket: we shelled out for these as well - Berghaus Cornice, £160 each. I'm not sure we did the right thing because they're very hot to wear even when it's chucking it down and cold. You can pick up Paclite jackets in TK Maxx for £70 and I'm considering getting one for the summer.

Waterproof trousers: <£25 each from Millets. Not Goretex but they do the job. Decent trousers can wait.

Boots and socks are the most critical items I would say, and socks can be expensive. There's plenty of discussion in the Gear section about Bridgedale liner socks (about £12 for two pairs) which help prevent blisters and you can wear normal sports socks over them.
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:44:40, 13/07/09 »
thanks for that having been having a nosey on gear section but there are loads to get through
and time that could be spent on walking  ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy