Author Topic: The Tongariro Alpine Crossing  (Read 1177 times)

mendipman

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing
« on: 23:57:11, 29/12/11 »

This very good day's hike is in the Tongariro National Park, North Island, New Zealand and is regarded as one of the best 10 hiking trails in the world as compiled by the online travel adviser Cheapflights.website. The choice of trails in such a list will always be the subject of much discussion and argument but few would disagree with this one being included - at least not in New Zealand as on the day I did it quite recently there were hundreds on the route and more were arriving by the coachload.

It's a 20km route with about 1100m of ascent and passes over a saddle between two volcanoes, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. It's a one way trek and expected to take 7 - 9 hours so you have to arrange transport for your pick up at the end. The volcanoes are constantly rumbling and there is quite a lot of thermal activity.
This is the start of the walk with Ngauruhoe clearly visible in the distance.

All the trails I have walked on in New Zealand, The Milford, Routeburn, Abel Tasman and Keppler Tracks, are all controlled by the Department of Conservation and are all well maintained and waymarked. This is a good example.

A small waterfall, Soda Falls which could well be a thermal water outflow.

Ngauruhoe

Towards the first crater

The Crater Rim

The Red Crater

The Emerald Pools with the Blue Pool in the distance

Descending into the crater

The Emerald Pool

Looking back to the Red Crater, the highest point of the crossing

Blue Pool

Descending from the Blue Pool

Lake Rotoaira

The path zig zags down to the finish at Lake Rotoaira

This is the first photo of my ascent of Ben Lomond. I had met a friendly Australian at the start of the walk in Queenstown and we walked up the lovely One Mile Creek track together until we reached the SkyLine above Queenstown. I then continued on my own.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Re: The Tongariro Alpine Crossing
« Reply #1 on: 01:22:02, 30/12/11 »
More excellent stuff there Dennis. The colours are really outlandish arent they? I loved the colours of the Emerald lakes. It s a     very diffrent landscape to what im used to in UK, not so much green. Bet you had a ball that day. Keep those TRs comin  O0 O0 O0 It always fascinates me to see what the mountains in the rest of the world look like
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:54:45, 14/01/12 »
looks really good, a litle crowded though
you have 1 life live it

stroller52

« Reply #3 on: 00:42:10, 15/01/12 »
Fantastic surroundings - as AJ says completely different to the UK; the infinite variety of the natural world is breathtaking.  Shame about the crowds though.  Great TR and look forward to more O0 O0 O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy