Author Topic: Getting to the start of The Tour Du Mont Blanc?  (Read 1731 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
For those who have hiked this route already. Suggestions of the best way to get from the UK to Les Houches, France. I do not want to spend silly money so is it best to go by coach, train, fly, drive (where to leave the car?) or hitchike?

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Getting to the start of The Tour Du Mont Blanc?
« Reply #1 on: 22:46:55, 30/06/13 »
There used to be a regular bus service from London to Chamonix.   Driving, motorway from Calais, possible in one day with two drivers, best to stop off at one of the budget hotels such as Formule 1.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:57:00, 30/06/13 »
Remembered it is Eurolines.  Or try Rail Europe, about twice the price at £160.

pottermuss

« Reply #3 on: 14:06:21, 01/07/13 »
All depends on time and money, quickest way is to fly to Geneva, transfer to Chamonix, train to Les Houches.  Overnight bus from London takes 19 hrs may be half the price of air travel.

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 01:36:57, 02/07/13 »
Not too expensive to fly to Geneva - use Skyscanner to check fares.

From Geneva Airport Chamexpress is a quick and cheap way of getting to Les Houches.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

Boweyes

« Reply #5 on: 18:20:28, 02/07/13 »
When I went I flew to Geneva, then took the Alpy bus to les houches. I'm going to the alps in Sep and got return flights from Liverpool for about £80 so there are good deals out there. I think the alpy bus is about €40 return, it's about 1 hour 15 each way. There are other buses tho or a train from the airport I believe, but not sure on timings.

Hope this helps!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:09:14, 08/07/13 »
Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions, as always real issues of family life can easily thwart plans. My first choice date has just passed so I am now looking to go sometime next week. The train quotes are too expensive. Eurolines charge £97 open return to Chamonix so I expect this is the choice I will make unless I can get a cheap flight. Tried to get other people to come with me but the pull of Ipads, TV and armchairs is just too strong. Anybody out there interested in having a go with me? I did promise my wife that this year I would try to hike with other people for safety reasons but so far no luck. If not I go alone.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:31:55, 08/07/13 »
I think the delay might have been advantageous.  There has been very late snow lying quite low down, would have been on the TMB trail.  Apparently people doing the MB ascent have almost needed skis!

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:03:57, 08/07/13 »
I did promise my wife that this year I would try to hike with other people for safety reasons but so far no luck. If not I go alone.

You won't be alone on the TMB, it's the most popular trek in the Alps. You can soon pal up with folks that you'll meet along the way and in the Refuges.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:08:48, 08/07/13 »
Have you looked at carpooling which seems to be quite a good way to travel in France - you pay for a space in a car and if your dates are flexible it could work for you.

http://www.carpoolworld.com

but I imagine there are other sites offering similar.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:54:16, 09/07/13 »
With any luck you might hook up with a doe eyed French girl desperate to improve her English - well your wife was worried about your being on your own.  We shall expect the full story of course.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy