Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1554 times)

GordonHorwich

Hello everyone
« on: 12:16:10, 30/11/16 »
I have come across the forum whilst publicising two events, The Two Crosses Challenge Event and the Red Rose 50 which will hopefully show up in regional forum.
No longer in my first flush of youth, I got into fellwalking in my teenage years of the late 60s and 70s and spent two summers as Assistant Warden at Crowden in Longdendale Youth Hostel on the Pennine Way, where I met my wife.
We were leisurely walkers with a two daughters growing up and walking in Yorkshire and holiday destinations. I have been a tail-end charlie in running for over 30 years (ok - at the back in fell races and good standard xc but reasonably well up where the standard was more extensive).
A few years ago I decided I wanted a challenge, so organised myself and improved my fitness to complete a solo crossing of the 900km/50,000m ascent GR10 along the Pyrenees and got involved with East Lancs LDWA. Search for Gordons GR10 and you will find an ebook of my experiences.
I still run regularly, averaging 30 miles per week and get out on club walks and challenge events. I also completed my first LDWA100 last year in Dorset and am looking forward to the North York Moors 100 at Spring Back weekend.

GordonHorwich

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: 13:51:13, 05/02/20 »
Thought I would do an update to re-introduce as I realise I have not been very active in posting in the last few years. It is now 10 years since I walked the GR10 so I think it is time I started doing some more decently long treks. Also I think my (semi-)serious running days may be over. One thing I notice is the limitation in posting on International routes so I need to get my post count up to qualify as it is an area that I am particularly interested in as I head from semi-retirement towards full retirement and have many targets to complete whilst still active enough. Hence the recent proliferation of posts.

watershed

« Reply #2 on: 17:39:04, 05/02/20 »
Hi Gordon,
             Unfortunately I cant open your "Gordons GR10" site  as my computer protection suggests it has infected malware.
It is a pity as it sounds very interesting and I would have loved to have explored it.
Welcome back, by the way.
I can heartily recommend retirement. I took early retirement in 2016, but have been back part time working for a year. I will fully retire again within the year and get some more walking adventures realised.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:23:41, 05/02/20 »
Gordon, i really enjoyed your GR10 writings. I used the info in it to give me some ideas when i waled part of the GR10 4 years ago.
It's all uphill from here.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:58:36, 05/02/20 »
Welcome back, from Devon.

I have no problem accessing your GR10 trip - will read later at leisure.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:45:23, 05/02/20 »
Welcome back  :)

Unfortunately I cant open your "Gordons GR10" site  as my computer protection suggests it has infected malware.

Useless snake oil most of the time, always giving false positives!.

The GordonsGR10 site opens just fine, it's a blog on Blogger. Looks interesting.

GordonHorwich

« Reply #6 on: 09:23:10, 06/02/20 »
Hi, The blog is still there but I retired the website at the end of last year so until I recreate it I need to post as an attachment to the blog, if allowed.
If you email me gordonstone (at) btinternet.com, I am happy to send you a copy (it is 86MB in case you have a lower limit on your inbox)

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:15:33, 06/02/20 »
Hi Gordon, welcome to the forum. I know you from the soul scene and came to your everything's Tuesday a few times back in the day. Hope you're well and enjoying your walks  O0  I knew you were into your running but didn't realise about the long distance walking. Look forward to any trip reports and photos
Andy  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy