Author Topic: Yorkshire Wolds Way graves  (Read 6292 times)

john e

Yorkshire Wolds Way graves
« on: 16:52:05, 20/10/13 »
I walked the Wolds Way from Hessle to Filey last week, and about half way along in the middle of nowhere (I forget the exact location, it was on the corner of a plantation) I was intrigued to find a small fenced area in which there were two graves, or at least two memorial stones lying flat, side by side. They bore the same surname and I would guess by the loving inscriptions were man and wife, and they had both died separately in their thirties in fairly recent times.
I didn't have a camera or would have taken a photo which would have given me the information I am now after. I think there must be a story, probably tragic, behind this. But why put a memorial in such an odd place? Does anybody know anything about it?

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire Wolds Way graves
« Reply #1 on: 16:53:39, 20/10/13 »
I walked the Wolds Way from Hessle to Filey last week, and about half way along in the middle of nowhere (I forget the exact location, it was on the corner of a plantation) I was intrigued to find a small fenced area in which there were two graves, or at least two memorial stones lying flat, side by side. They bore the same surname and I would guess by the loving inscriptions were man and wife, and they had both died separately in their thirties in fairly recent times.
I didn't have a camera or would have taken a photo which would have given me the information I am now after. I think there must be a story, probably tragic, behind this. But why put a memorial in such an odd place? Does anybody know anything about it?

Intriguing.

Mel might know the answer to this. She does a lot of walking in that area :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:20:05, 20/10/13 »

Intriguing.

Mel might know the answer to this. She does a lot of walking in that area :)

are you suggesting a link between Mel and lots of dead people on her walks?  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:24:39, 20/10/13 »
are you suggesting a link between Mel and lots of dead people on her walks?  :D

I wasn't...but you know...it's a thought :o
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:04:28, 20/10/13 »

I wasn't...but you know...it's a thought :o

Pen-y-Ghent .... at night .... in November ....

.... just saying  >:D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:12:08, 20/10/13 »
But to answer John's question.... I'm afraid I don't know  :-[   I've not come across anything like that so perhaps it's on a part I've not walked yet.

Do you know roughly whereabouts you was? There are an awful lot of plantations in the middle of nowhere on the YWW.

I might be able to find something out if you can give me more details - I have a lot of contact with the Womens Insititutes that are dotted around East Yorkshire and if anyone will know something about it, they will  ;D

john e

« Reply #6 on: 22:22:49, 20/10/13 »
Mel,
It is on the way down to Sherburn, on East Heslerton Brow, after Manor Wold Farm.
I've searched the net but all I find is a passing reference to two graves in a guide book (Cleveland Way and Yorkshire Wolds Way by Paddy Dillon)

Thanks

John

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:04:28, 20/10/13 »
Ahh, right.  I've not got that far up the YWW yet (I'm as far as Wharram Percy at the mo).  I'll see if I can have a roam there next weekend and get a pic then ping an email to the lovely, gossipy WI ladies  O0

Oooh, even better.  If there's a tea shop / pub in East or West Heslerton I might just have to pop in to see if they know anything  :D

I'm intrigued now too  :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:17:14, 20/10/13 »
It's just after Manor Wold Farm, near East Heslerton. Continue along east heslerton brow, crossing a field away from Manor Wold Farm. Follow a grassy track alongside a hedge and a wood, then turn left a short way downhill and right to walk alongside a coniferous plantation. Notice the two graves in the corner at the far end of this plantation  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:21:43, 21/10/13 »
Cheers for that Bri  O0

LOSEHILL NICK

« Reply #10 on: 10:43:23, 08/11/13 »
I walked past there when i did the YWW in september i didnt see them must hav been dreaming of a shower steak n a beer after 3 nights wild camping

The walkers

« Reply #11 on: 21:55:16, 14/09/19 »
Did anyone find out about these? We were intrigued today very sad. I can’t find anything online and noticed this discussion but very old. Beautiful walk

lauragardens

« Reply #12 on: 20:34:19, 23/05/22 »
I think we may have solved the mystery! A few days ago we met 2 couples walking the YWW while we were eating lunch on the trail, right by the artwork above Deep Dale. They told us about the graves not far away from there. Perhaps it was you we met?

The next day we came to the gravestones, with a bench nearby overlooking East Heslerton.

Shortly thereafter we met an older gentleman walking towards us and we chatted with him. When he said he lived not a mile away, on impulse I asked if he knew the story behind those gravestones  -- and he did! He said they were young farmers from the farm that lies just down the hill (Grange Farm). He wasn't positive but said he believes one might have died in a car accident.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy