Author Topic: new loner walker looking for reassurance/advise!  (Read 2322 times)

loner

Hi,I am new to walking on my own but desperately want to break out and be able to do this!
For my birthday w/e coming march 9/10/11 I am going to do a stretch of the pennine bridlewayPB (settle - garsdale stations). I am a regular runner & cyclist so I'm hoping my fitness is fine but I am getting lost in the depths of KIT. I have paper map, electronic map on tablet + gps on my phone, compass, PB guide for cyclists. But all the other stuff I would like to hear your comments:
Sleeping bag (bunkhouse 1 night, b&b treat on birthday:) ) is a good quality for warmth but 2kg - is the money for a lightweight worth 1kg?I'll have a spare set of clothes because although I'm fairly happy my coat & w/p trousers are waterproof the forecast looks wet & cold.
Could I save the weight of the sleeping bag and sleep in all my clothes? is this stupid/naive ?
My rucksack is a mate of mine - a trusty army edition canvas , kept everything dry during a week in ireland and I can use plastic for extra insurance. I'm guessing its heavy in comparison to modern hiking equip.
Boots are waterproof.
What have I forgotten?Any advise or suggestions of essential kit or basic requirements VERY gratefully received- I can go shopping on thursday! I am already hoping to do the dales 3 peaks on a guided walk soon so stuff will get used.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: new loner walker looking for reassurance/advise!
« Reply #1 on: 21:02:28, 05/03/19 »
Welcome on to the board.

A few things you didn't mention.

Gators are great in wet UK spring time.  A good 24hour flask, for those essential hot cuppas. Hat and gloves for regulating your temperature without having to stopband adjust layers.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:17:48, 05/03/19 »
Cost/weight is up to you but you need a sleeping bag.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:55:11, 05/03/19 »
You need a bag, doesn't need to break the bank, the Snugpak bags are quite cheap and decent for this time of year with moderate temperatures.

Other than that, don't wear cotton for base layers as you'll get too cold, bring a spare fleece in your rucksack and remember you could get 3 days of consecutive rain.

Gaiters, gloves, warm hat, fleece in your bag, and a sleeping bag for night time is in order.  Bring a head torch (again doesn't need to be expensive) so when you're at the bunkhouses, or delayed when walking - you have a solution to this.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:47:31, 06/03/19 »

With the additions mentioned above, I think that you have got it covered, loner.

Good luck with the walk - why not let us know how you get on when you have finished, and post some photos?  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

One F

« Reply #5 on: 08:48:04, 06/03/19 »
Nothing to add to the kit list (except maybe a First Aid kit), but wondered if you are going to follow the exact PBW route? You wrote that you have a cyclists guide and i'm guessing that will take you along all the tarmac road sections, but if you want to walk along some of the pleasant green Dales paths there is one diversion which may be of interest -

As you climb up the road from Stainforth Force to Little Stainforth, the official route takes you to the right and follows the road towards Helwith Bridge and then along the road towards Austwick. You can miss out that section of tarmac by still turning right at Little Stainforth and after 300/400 yards taking the path to the left (marked on OS at Hargreaves Barn). Follow this path until you meet the PBW again, at the corner of Wharfe and Oxenber Wood, as it comes up from Higher Bark House. You could take in the top of Smearsett Scar (and Pot Scar) too if you fancy going off path.

Don't forget to schedule a stop at Elaine's in Feizor for a cuppa and cake  :)

In general, and imho, the route is pleasant, easy to follow and not too demanding (can be exposed on Cam Fell though).

Oh, just remembered, do you intend taking in the Settle Loop at the start of the walk? If so you will be walking (almost) past my front door  8)

Hope the weather isn't too wet and cold and that you enjoy the Dales excursion.

astaman

« Reply #6 on: 08:59:38, 06/03/19 »
The only thing that I'd add is that, as a cyclist, you may have clothing that you wear on the bike that could double as walking gear. Things like baselayers, gloves (full finger ones) and cycling tops generally have the same kind of spec as good walking kit. Waterproof tops tend to be hoodless so might not do. Not sure that lycra shorts are de rigueur on the Pennine Way either. I'm sure you'll love it.

Stube

« Reply #7 on: 11:47:07, 07/03/19 »
I walked the PBW N-S last May the route is well signposted and waymarked - difficult to get lost!

The Ribble Way covers a very similar route on the section you're travelling so you may find a guide to it of interest.

In my experience the route is very quiet - the only place you're likely to meet people is approaching, and on, the Camm Road where it coincides with the PW.

Doddy

« Reply #8 on: 17:25:42, 10/04/19 »
I sleep in my walking gear less windjacket-saves the struggles of dressing and undressing but have silk long sleeved top,  long-johns and wool socks to sleep in if walking clothes get wet. Wear gaitors avoiding taking sheep/cow poo on your gear and into the shelter. Be scrupulous with personal hygiene; I use NHS body wipes at night and talcum feet and your gear will not smell. Use a sleeping bag liner;I use silk again.
I have done several thousand miles wild camping with this set up. My base-weight is around 5.5 kg

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:44:33, 10/04/19 »
All previous suggestions all very good but we all I'm sure also have developed our gear lists by planning well and perhaps by a bit of trial and error, I know I have.

For my part, I obviously have a rucksack and tent, plus groundsheet. For sleeping, I use a blow-up mattress, (stops the cold coming up from the ground) just can't get along with those thin blue closed cell mats. I sleep on my side and the blue mats 'kill' my hip bone. You need a sleeping bag, I used to use one now use a sleeping quilt, no back, no hood, a bit like the quilt I have over my bed at home.

I also try to buy clothes that I can sleep in as well, baselayer, jacket, trousers etc, all depends on the weather at the time. I have also developed a method for myself, where I just take two of every item of clothing, 2 x underwear, 2 x socks, 2 x baselayers etc and am in the routine of washing one item of these when I camp at the end of the day, wear clean, wash the other, dry out rucksack the next day. All designed to keep carry weight down!

I don't know if you do this already but in the event of my feet getting wet, I always carry a pair of old trainer inserts with me. They will not dry the insides of my boots but with a change of dry socks, my feet feel bearable as the boots slowly dry as I walk and rest.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:12:18, 10/04/19 »
Could I save the weight of the sleeping bag and sleep in all my clothes? is this stupid/naive ?

I'm loathe to post this because people who know better than me have told you you'll need one but I've slept rough and so have a other people, I didn't have a tent or a sleeping bag (but wasn't anywhere high and exposed) so you could do this, it's unlikely to kill you but you'd be less comfortable and comfort is important when sleeping or you will only sleep when exhausted and that feels rubbish. Notable sleeping just in clothes is it gets cold at night where you're not moving around, you'd want warm clothes. Don't do it though it's rubbish!

Edit: I misread what you wrote and thought you were doing the whole Pennine Way not just a stretch staying in buildings the whole time, I thought that was just for a treat.
« Last Edit: 19:19:02, 10/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:00:55, 10/04/19 »
Don't do it though it's rubbish!

Seconded  O0 . Did it once in my teens, cycled to somewhere in Surrey with a mate in the summer, curled up in a wood and went to sleep in our coats at bedtime. Absolutely froze to death from the small hours onwards. Gathering wood and lighting a fire helped a little, and you could be forgiven for thinking the two of us were very close friends because we had to snuggle up together to try and keep warm.
Later on at the end of my teens when I was hitchhiking around the country and spending nights out on beaches, parks, woods, empty buildings, even a cemetery once, and at 20 living rough and penniless in Europe, I always had a sleeping bag, I wouldn't have dreamed of sleeping without one.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:52:43, 11/04/19 »
No report back from the OP :( Intended date for the trip was early March
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:47:02, 11/04/19 »
No report back from the OP :( Intended date for the trip was early March

I guess they came here, got what they needed and never came back. Hope their walk went well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy