Author Topic: Beacon Fell  (Read 1392 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Beacon Fell
« on: 21:27:25, 06/02/08 »
The car park at Brown Howe, at the foot of Coniston Water was empty. Roadside parking places were quite busy - hardly surprising since the LDNP wanted six quid (that's SIX quid) for parking in their car park, whereas the roadside is free, of course.  So we joined the roadside party.
Our (thats me, Alan and the dawg) route today was aimed at gaining the top of Beacon fell - a Wainwright outlier and HuMP in the South Lakes.
The climb up to the top is easy enough and interestingly uses a shallow gully with some slabs on one side to get to the top. Its only 800 feet high, so it's perhaps not surpriusing that it's clientele seems to consist of old codgers and phogies (I include myself, but exclude the dawg in this definition)
On the top there's a cairn with a plastic box in which we found a kit-kat and a book with some pens for recording your visit to Beacon fell. And a very fine view of Coniston Water and the Coniston Fells and Black Combe
We descended to Beacon Tarn (where the dog had a bracing paddle!), and climbed up the ever so slightly rocky Wool Knott. Much heather and some bog followed as we transferred over to a long, heathery ridge to the North, which has, at its Western End, the fine viewpoint and elegant cairn of Yew bank. Is this named after a famous monocled boxer? Or maybe a carpet cleaning device?
Anyway, its a good view again.
A descent to the North over rough ground took us to a vague and sloppy footpath (vague and sloppy also describes my last maths teacher by the way...) and this vague and sloppy path lead us back to the road.
A short but cracking walk of just over 6 miles with 1500 feet of ascent.
« Last Edit: 10:59:28, 08/03/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: Beacon Fell
« Reply #1 on: 13:39:55, 07/02/08 »
Hi Mike,
We very nearly met up again yesterday. I was for going to Beacon Fell but the boss-lady said Tarn Hows and Black Fell so that was it!
The picture with the caption "hill book"?....was that your records or was it the box on Beacon Fell left there by Sean & Connie MacMahon?
Great pictures.
Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:47:14, 07/02/08 »
Another near miss!  I'm off to Tweedsmuir next all being well, so I suspect a chance meeting might be unlikely on that one.
The book was sitting in a blue plastic box on the summit cairn with a rock on it. I cant remember who put it there, but I wouldnt be surprised if it wasn't the McMahons. Its for anybody to write in, and it does have a little note confirming that it is indeed the top of Beacon Fell, presumably for anybody having doubts about their navigation.
Alan made a brief note that we'd been there and how sunny it was...
The kit kat is still available for anybody who is a bit peckish.  There were at least another 4 visitors to the top around about the same time as us, though, so they might have eaten it!
« Last Edit: 13:49:56, 07/02/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:34:36, 07/02/08 »
Thanks for that Mike , I'll let Sean know when I mail him next.
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy