Author Topic: Tetcott  (Read 3311 times)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Tetcott
« on: 10:01:53, 24/06/15 »
Since my fall from a ladder several months ago I have been unable to do my favourite longer walks on Dartmoor, so I have been trying to get back into fitness by doing shorter walks in the Devon countryside.
Yesterday my wife and I did a 6-mile walk around the small hamlet of Tetcott, which is halfway between Launceston and Holsworthy close to the Cornwall border.  It's one of those places that is miles from anywhere and if you didn't have a reason for going there you would never know it existed.
We parked the car in the village hall car park (SX 33986 96174).  The public are permitted to use the car park, although they request that you leave a donation in the letterbox next to the entrance door.  From the car park we walked up the lane, soon arriving at the gateway leading into the grounds of Tetcott Manor.

We went through the gateway into the grounds and headed towards the church.  This is where the Lord of the Manor would have attended services together with his servants and estate workers.

Next to the church is the manor house itself, a lovely old building that has the date 1603 above the door.

From there we walked past the estate farm, where there is an old granary raised on stilts to prevent rats & mice getting in and eating the grain.

We then headed downhill and into the woods.  This is where timber was obtained for use on the estate.

At the bottom of the hill is the ruined Tetcott Mill, the former estate corn mill.

Adjacent to the mill is the miller's house, now completely covered in vegetation.  We were last here some six or seven years ago and the building has deteriorated since then.

From the mill we walked through fields to Luffincott, which is no more than a farm and a disused church.  In the field in front of the church were some young calves that Mrs. DD instantly fell in love with. 

After dragging her away we continued through quiet lanes and fields to eventually arrive back at the starting point. 
Just before getting there we had to walk downhill through a field containing a large herd of cows with their calves, together with one mean-looking bull.  We kept well away from them and they started running down to the bottom corner of the field.  We then realised that they had all congregated around a gate that happened to be our exit from the field.  We were becoming a little concerned, but were soon relieved to see a quad bike heading down towards the gate from the opposite direction.  The farmer's wife had seen us crossing the field from the farmhouse in the distance and had sent her husband to make sure we were alright.  We stopped to thank him and had a chat.  Unlike some farmers, he was quite friendly and I think he was surprised to see walkers there.  Although a public footpath runs across the field I think no-one ever uses it.

This was a lovely walk through typical rural Devon. 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Tetcott
« Reply #1 on: 11:18:54, 24/06/15 »
Very nice photos, looks a pleasant walk  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:46:42, 24/06/15 »
Thanks sunnydale.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:50:00, 24/06/15 »
Lovely photos and interesting history too  O0 We went through a field with cows in on Monday. Thankfully they didn't move toward us or block our way, very nice of the farmer to make sure you were alright  :)
Hate will never win

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:35:46, 25/06/15 »
Thanks April.  Your cows probably didn't move because they were scared stiff seeing Beefy coming towards them. ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:44:17, 25/06/15 »
Your cows probably didn't move because they were scared stiff seeing Beefy coming towards them. ;D

;D  They did look at him in a rather curious way  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:27:19, 25/06/15 »

;D  They did look at him in a rather curious way  :)
Oi ...  >:(
they recognised that i was 100% beef so they knew they were ok ... ;D

nice pics Dave, looks a nice walk ...  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:23:46, 25/06/15 »
Oi ...  >:(
they recognised that i was 100% beef so they knew they were ok ... ;D

nice pics Dave, looks a nice walk ...  O0
:D :D

Thanks Beefy.  I'm looking forward to getting back to more strenuous walks on Dartmoor.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy