Author Topic: SWCP for the over 60's  (Read 27989 times)

John Walker

Re: SWCP for the over 60's
« Reply #90 on: 20:36:28, 14/05/17 »
Fantastic! Congratulations. O0 
It must be both exciting and satisfying (and knackering) to have reached the end marker. Hopefully the ferry was running, even if the bus wasn't?  I'd like to hear more about your best and worst bits of the path, when you've had time to get your breath back.  And have you got a plan for the next expedition?

http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 21:17:39, 14/05/17 »
Thank you so much :) . Yes there are a a lot of legs to remember. Struggle to remember some bits already. The photos will help and I will reflect on the good and bad bits in a bit.
Next up is a north south pennine way in late august

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 08:12:02, 15/05/17 »
Congratulations :D
 ;D We got lost in the dunes too!
I agree it really is the most stunning route. Look forward to a TR
After the official finish we then walked across the heaths to Wareham which was really nice contrast to all the coastal scenery. Wareham has good transport links too.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 13:43:42, 15/05/17 »
As it was summer we walked the beach with our feet in the water right through the naturist section.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 21:05:44, 15/05/17 »
With the benefit of hindsight, so should I! Just been loading some photographs. It is hard to believe how pretty/stunning some of the scenery is. Only a couple of tedious days out of the 37. The Teignmouth - Otterton section was great even with the railway side walking. Only two really bad weather days; around Heddons Mouth and Lamorna Cove (bad places for high winds and driving rain however). Lots of dogs, lots of public conveniences; lots of memories. A long old haul with some tough going but some great memories.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 21:03:51, 05/01/18 »
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?action=post;topic=31869.90;last_msg=496733
A belated trip report (I hope!) from the last leg of my SWCP walk; completed between May 2016 and May2017. Hope it is of interest and may inspire someone to have a go at this memorable route.
Best Wishes
John

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 22:00:32, 05/01/18 »
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?action=post;topic=31869.90;last_msg=496733
A belated trip report (I hope!) from the last leg of my SWCP walk; completed between May 2016 and May2017. Hope it is of interest and may inspire someone to have a go at this memorable route.
Best Wishes
John
Is it me?  When I click on the link it just comes up with the form to post a reply!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 09:02:36, 06/01/18 »
https://theslowwalkeryork.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/johns-south-west-coast-path-south-devon_3.html
Does this work?
Yes that's better!  Will now read it and bring back my memories of a truly wonderful walk around a beautiful coastline.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 10:03:52, 06/01/18 »
A really good read, well documented, I "walked" the path with you - far better than my attempts - I have trouble at the end of a days walk to remember all the detail apart from the food and the drink!  Do you write up your notes during the day or just at the end of the day in the pub - just thought that may be my problem, I write up my notes in the pub after the first or maybe the second pint! 

For anyone thinking of walking the SWCP in one go, in parts or in daily walks over many years as some people I met give it a go.  For those of you reading this who live abroad you will find this a lovely way to see some of best coastal towns, villages, countryside and pubs.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 11:15:37, 07/01/18 »
Thanks Harland,
I read it last night and it brought back memories which is interesting given that I only walked it seven months ago! I try and write up a few notes either in the pub/cafe when having supper at the end of the day or in bed just before lights out. This time round I missed on a few occasions and did it several days later; but even after that short time I found a few "gaps" opening up in the old memory...must be an age thing.
I am glad that I write them up as it is good to read them later and think "did I really do that?", I hope people enjoy them too. I should really post more photos and my poor computer skills preclude me from creating some of the more professional looking blogs you see about.
The hills were no doubt a bit of a [censored] on this last third of the walk but over the whole 600 plus miles there were very few days I didnt take pleasure from. Perranporth to Portreath was a bit tedious on a foggy day; as was the Plymouth area. I did'nt like day two to Combe Martin but I was stiff after a long day one to Lynmouth and the weather was shocking so I fell a few miles behind schedule. That apart, it was a great walk.
It is a long old haul. Wonder whether I will do it again. Most walks you can do in a fortnight. Much beyond this and it is more of an adventure don't you think?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 17:19:55, 07/01/18 »
Yes even in retirement managing more than 2/3 weeks at a time needs some planning on the home front.  I frequently read my very unprofessional notes (rather than journals) over the winter period.  That gets me fired up for the following year.  Whilst I would love to do the SWCP again I don't think it could ever match up to my first (only) time.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous for the first 4 weeks and not knowing what lay ahead (Everest!! - well a few inclines) made it even more of an adventure.  I am thinking about walking The Camino (the French Way) next year but I do have an issue at home that may prevent such a period of time away.  By the way I seem to recall telling you that the first day from Minehead to Lynmouth wasn't easy!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 20:39:37, 07/01/18 »
You did indeed Harland although lack of practise may have come into it a bit! As I recall it was yomping too fast down that steep hill just before Porlock that started the rot

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 08:36:09, 08/01/18 »
You did indeed Harland although lack of practise may have come into it a bit! As I recall it was yomping too fast down that steep hill just before Porlock that started the rot
Same for me and then that walk along the rocks although I think that there was a way further inland that would have been easier.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 21:28:22, 09/01/18 »
I was targetting the rock walk but ended up on the inland route which is I believe the official route now. Quite pleasant actually

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy