Author Topic: Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June  (Read 24965 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June
« on: 12:49:18, 19/10/16 »
I've now started to plan my Pennine Way walk for 2017, and for others looking to do so and wishing to use b&bs  I'd get in soon as I've found that many are already full  >:(
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June
« Reply #1 on: 13:00:18, 19/10/16 »
That must be a more popular time then when we did it this year (end June/beg July), as when my hubby fired off emails to 21 B&bs in January, they all came back with a vacancy!

Are you using Old House Torside as I think you can now only use their own baggage transfer service ( I think they may have had a falling out with Brigantes!)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:11:00, 19/10/16 »
I've now started to plan my Pennine Way walk for 2017, and for others looking to do so and wishing to use b&bs  I'd get in soon as I've found that many are already full  >:(

I sometimes think they say that especially when you are looking for a single room in a place that doesn't have any, as they will make more money from a couple of people than a single (even after single supplement  >:( )

There's always YHA's to fill in the gaps. Are you doing it North to South this time?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:38:14, 19/10/16 »
Ha! At least you wont need GPS coordinates as the file you sent me did the job perfectly.  Have fun . Even on the most horrible bit between Greg's Hut & Garrigill which as it turned out was THE worst bit to my mind. A couple of months since then and I have not changed my mind.

Don't forget to look at AirBNB if you are stuck I got a couple of hints from that. On one occasion someone let me sleep in a whole holiday cottage for the night in Dufton at the same cost as my previous night B&B. To me the biggest problem was between Tan Hill & Middleton , I ended up going into Bowes, which I didn't want to do, but it was very good at the Ancient Unicorn. this added an extra leg on the journey.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:51:11, 19/10/16 »
There's always YHA's to fill in the gaps.
When I was booking none of the YHAs were free as they were either block booked by adventure companies or YHA were holding them in the hope they could rent them out as a whole.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:54:21, 19/10/16 »
There's always YHA's to fill in the gaps. Are you doing it North to South this time?

I wish, they are only taking bookings at the moment for those who want to book the whole hostel, they'll only release the accommodation 3 months before if they get no takers  >:(

Edit:  Just read Ridge's post which says the same thing.

No, I've decided to stick with South to North  ;)
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:56:10, 19/10/16 »
When I was booking none of the YHAs were free as they were either block booked by adventure companies or YHA were holding them in the hope they could rent them out as a whole.

aye, they did that last year. I contacted YHA who told me to check again after the new year as most of the schools would have finished booking by then. Kinda stuck in the throat that members can't book places as schools come first.  :(

If I did the PW again, I'd do it North to South, change of scenery etc

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:57:01, 19/10/16 »

To me the biggest problem was between Tan Hill & Middleton , I ended up going into Bowes, which I didn't want to do, but it was very good at the Ancient Unicorn. this added an extra leg on the journey.

Fox& Hounds at Cotherstone pick up from Baldersdale Reservoir

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:00:02, 19/10/16 »
... even on the most horrible bit between Greg's Hut & Garrigill which as it turned out was THE worst bit to my mind.

Yes, that's not a nice stretch  O0

To me the biggest problem was between Tan Hill & Middleton , I ended up going into Bowes, which I didn't want to do ...

This time after some reports about Tan Hill I'm stopping at Keld bunk barns, and Middleton was an issue, but the Fox and Hounds at Cotherstone will pick up/drop off at Middleton so I'm staying there (think that was a tip from someone on this forum but can't recall who)

Edit:  Crossed with rural roamer's post !!
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:08:44, 19/10/16 »
If I did the PW again, I'd do it North to South, change of scenery etc

I did give that some serious thought, but transport wise it's easier for me South to North, and as my second week is over half term I reckoned it would be easier to book accommodation during the half term week the further North I was  ;)
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:16:44, 19/10/16 »
I did give that some serious thought, but transport wise it's easier for me South to North, and as my second week is over half term I reckoned it would be easier to book accommodation during the half term week the further North I was  ;)

half term...might explain the full B&Bs also  :D

Finishing at Edale means I can be back home in a couple of hours whereas last year it was a long journey home from KY, spending the night in Berwick  >:(

I'm just looking at what I want to do next year  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:30:16, 19/10/16 »
the Fox and Hounds at Cotherstone will pick up/drop off at Middleton so I'm staying there (think that was a tip from someone on this forum but can't recall who)

Edit:  Crossed with rural roamer's post !!

Yes that was probably me! Though I think I may have heard about it on here before we booked so someone else must have stayed there too.
We had to arrange pick up time at Baldersdale in advance as theres no signal after A66 but you'll probably be ok from Middleton.
Typical village pub, not modern but clean and one of our best meals, very friendly.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:15:55, 19/10/16 »
Am doing the PW again in 2017; this time north to south.. Doing it in August and rang the YHA last week to book at Byrness (Forest View), Alston, Dufton, Hawes, Malham and Mankinholes. Got in all of them ok. Maybe because it is School holidays? They have nipped their prices up a bit.
Avoiding Tan Hill staying at Butt House in Keld. Got the rest still to book up. Bellingham, Greenhead, Middleton, Cowling or thereabouts and Crowden area...
Apparently there is a new YH opening up near Hadrians Wall late  summer 2017.

John

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:24:48, 19/10/16 »
If you walk a bit further than Cowling to the Reservoir near Stanbury, you can get a bus from there to Haworth (YHA there) and then back the next again morning, OR if you feel energetic, walk the extra mileage into Haworth and then next day take the Bronte Trail out of Haworth which rejoins the PW just before Top Withins.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:35:56, 19/10/16 »
There's also a private hostel attached to the Greenhead Hotel   O0

Crowden is a pain since the hostel there closed.  There is a campsite there, and the Old House b&b, but as I'm planning to get to Hebden in two days I'll be wild camping around Wessenden Head reservoir.
« Last Edit: 16:39:31, 19/10/16 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy