Author Topic: What are your walking plans for 2018?  (Read 20186 times)

Doddy

Re: What are your walking plans for 2018?
« Reply #15 on: 10:11:04, 01/01/18 »

St Kilda landing would be great. Neil Oliver of TV Coast fame had to make three trips before succeeding to get on. A very small jetty/landing area I think.
Good luck.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:59:52, 01/01/18 »
There's a boat goes out from Leverburgh in Harris to St Kilda, and also one from Uig in Skye, both run by local companies who go out 3 or 4 times a week.  Never heard the bit about losing part of your deposit before.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:31:33, 01/01/18 »
That's in the summer of course. I think only people who work there go in winter!

micmac

« Reply #18 on: 13:12:55, 02/01/18 »
Having not had much spare time to walk since October i foolishly signed up to walk 1000 miles this year. Made a start yesterday. Myself and my daughter are currently walking the Trent Valley Way, as some of it is on our doorstep, that's what we walked yesterday. So the plan is to walk that and then see what takes our fancy afterwards. My son is also planning on joining us so until he is used to walking any distance we will be having short walks.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:00:20, 02/01/18 »
St Kilda many years ago, used to have a small community of people living there, Rockall is a rock, that has never been permanently lived on, its just a rock out in the Atlantic, one of probably hundreds.
St kilda is different, its this tiny rock, in the middle of this vast ocean, that used to have a thriving community of hardy folk living there,  and its a significant World Heritage site, with the largest colony of Puffins anywhere in the Uk.

Watching these nature programmes on television, looks amazing, and to think back in the 1930s there was a tiny community living there, so far from the Uk mainland, but nothing can beat seeing it for real.

My first view of the Standing Stones of Callanish on Lewis, and the Ring of Brogar on Orkney, were items on my tick list for many years, i will never ever forget them, worth the journey i made ten times over.

St Kilda so far out in the Atlantic, has been on my list for six years, i hope to tick that box in the next 24months.
« Last Edit: 17:10:26, 02/01/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:49:29, 02/01/18 »
Doing the three national peaks like that sounds like 3 really nice holidays, Rural Roamer.  Hope you manage to get the good weather windows!

[Rgmw]largie

« Reply #21 on: 19:59:57, 02/01/18 »
Continue and hopefully complete the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.

<snip>

You and me both :-) I'd be pushed to finish it this year but hoping to get Trefin->St Dogmaels and Martins Haven->Broadhaven which gives me everything from Milford Haven onwards :-) !
Cheers
Dave

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:19:40, 02/01/18 »
Back to the thread.

Two  objectives for 2018.  first and foremost is to get my right hip working properly again, before March ready to lead our ramblers group around all the 600m Tors on Dartmoor.

Then assuming the darn hip does recover.  I would like to do the Scottish 4000ft peaks.  Fingers crossed.

photonut

« Reply #23 on: 09:49:59, 03/01/18 »
In a desperate bid to get back to the original thread .......   8)

I'm hoping to make a start on getting a few Wainwrights done.  It's time to venture forth from Yorkshire (but not too far)  ;D

Cheers
Lee

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:27:35, 03/01/18 »
It's time to venture forth from Yorkshire (but not too far)  ;D

Cheers
Lee
You’ll know when you’re leaving Yorkshire - the cobbles stop.
Solvitur Ambulando

photonut

« Reply #25 on: 10:39:12, 03/01/18 »
You’ll know when you’re leaving Yorkshire - the cobbles stop.

::)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:51:30, 03/01/18 »
I'm hoping to make a start on getting a few Wainwrights done.  It's time to venture forth from Yorkshire (but not too far)  ;D
If you've not walked in the Lakes before then there is a whole world of pleasure just waiting for you.
I may finish the Wainwrights this year, or I may not. I'm not too bothered so long as I have done them all before my knees give up.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:06:46, 03/01/18 »
Plans have gone a bit astray lately as I've just had six weeks off work, but still hoping to ski the Kungsleden in Sweden 450km from hemavan to Abisko. I know it's not walking but I don't differentiate between my outdoor activities. Also a couple of backpacking trips to Knoydart and Glen Affric, hopefully.     
« Last Edit: 18:50:22, 03/01/18 by Owen »

Murphy

« Reply #28 on: 17:49:33, 03/01/18 »
Tonyk

I'm with you really.  Understand other sentiments, but quite honestly, if people don't like what he says then don't read.  I don't read everything....
Just not comfortable with some of the comments/tone but maybe that's out of frustration.

Anyway back to the topic, i'm planning a 1000 mile backpacking trip linking a number of long distance paths later in the year but route yet to be finally decided.  Hopefully a camping/walking week in the Lakes in March plus every free weekend in The Peak District which is my home stomping ground.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:02:53, 03/01/18 »
I echo what Mel says, plus some of the information/advice he posts on here is sometimes completely  inaccurate.

Back to topic  :)
Our plans are to get up into the Moffat Hills and do some if not all of the Annandale Way, maybe in May. We hope to be doing "proper" walks in the next few weeks now I am recovered from the surgery. Although I did struggle a bit today, I was at work for the first time, I'm doing half days to start, neck was hurty  :(
We will be out wild camping again as soon as there is more daylight and the temperature rises.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy