Author Topic: Versatile boots  (Read 2718 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Versatile boots
« Reply #15 on: 15:06:33, 16/01/18 »
Look again!  They're currently over a thousand quid!  LOL

My own guess is that there's just an error in quoted price. I've just looked at price same site quotes for same boot in a different size...126 quid, which is about right price for that boot.

Anybody willing to pay 1000 quid for that boot shouldn't be allowed out without their mum. Indeed 200 would be daft money.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:24:28, 16/01/18 »
I think mine and Steve922's responses were tongue in cheek  :)  - the price changed twice as I was looking at the link this morning.

On the subject of boots - I suffer with tendinitis in my right achilles and this is now a chronic problem (21 months).  It doesn't stop me walking but can be quite painful and occassionally I have an acute flare up.  My physio recommended that I wear boots as much as possible to support the heel - so I bought a pair of Scarpa Mistral boots which are fine for work and around town and not too clunky.  Not sure I'd be happy to go dancing in them though.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:38:38, 16/01/18 »
I think mine and Steve922's responses were tongue in cheek  :)  - the price changed twice as I was looking at the link this morning.

I was hoping that was the case!

Strangely enough I almost never look at internet price for walking kit, so I don't know if this sort of ridiculous price is often quoted on Amazon for boots, etc. But you do often see similarly daft prices for books.

I assume it's something to do with an automatic algorithm that increases price as stock goes down, and no human actually checks the resulting price is reasonable.

But what happens if somebody orders at that price? Do Amazon just pocket the loot, or do the decent thing, say "system error" and substitute a price a sane individual would pay?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:26:20, 16/01/18 »
Yes it's an algorithm. I've got a book that's supposedly worth hundreds according to Amazon. It isn't.

One got to nearly $24 million once: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Kukkudrill

« Reply #19 on: 20:46:12, 16/01/18 »
In case anyone is wondering, I didn't pay silly money for my Ecco boots ... I got them for £110. Prices on Amazon change suddenly, but they can go down as well as up. If you're interested in an item on Amazon, just follow the price for a while and you might get yourself a bargain  8) 
Make the most of the available light

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 06:43:31, 17/01/18 »
In case anyone is wondering, I didn't pay silly money for my Ecco boots ... I got them for £110. Prices on Amazon change suddenly, but they can go down as well as up. If you're interested in an item on Amazon, just follow the price for a while and you might get yourself a bargain  8)

That article Neil quoted was interesting (thanks Neil), and suggested that some of the algorithms used tended to put up prices as more views took place...so in some cases following price might put it up!

But regardless, 110 quid was a good price.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:08:16, 17/01/18 »
Is this yet another one-post-wonder?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:04:22, 17/01/18 »
Is this yet another one-post-wonder?

If it is, the OP succeeded in bringing a particular product to our attention, if that was their aim.

Like many similar instances, though, it has resulted in some interesting posts and I'm sure we're all the wiser for them. (Not that I want to encourage more one-posters, mind.)

Ralph

« Reply #23 on: 17:18:26, 17/01/18 »
Can someone please explain  a 'one  post wonder'.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:06:04, 17/01/18 »
A person who becomes a member of the forum, makes one post, and is never seen or heard of again.

Some ask for advice while others are would-be spammers. I wouldn't condemn the originator of this thread just yet, but dropping in the name of a product does make one wary. Another recent one, whose written English was similar to that of someone from south-east Asia, joined at 03:30 GMT; there's no harm in that if they want to discuss their walking experiences, but more likely there's a different motive.

I am guessing the term is derived from "one hit wonder" which is used to describe a pop star who only ever makes one successful recording.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy