Author Topic: Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018  (Read 7150 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018
« Reply #30 on: 22:06:34, 30/03/18 »
A bit late to let everyone know but the film "The Way" is on BBC2 at 23.25 tonight.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:10:38, 31/03/18 »
I enjoyed this last episode, it was an interesting snap shot of the Camino.
For 15 days walking they didn’t seem to encounter too many problems physically, although nice blisters on Debbie McGee’s foot :D     
I think it would’ve been more interesting to see how they all got on if they had experienced the complete ‘way of St James’ Raphael Rowe made me smile, “this isn’t water on my face, its sweat, this is hard work” well carrying a full 65L rucksack on your back won’t be helping  ::)  what did he carry in there?

Overall it was okay,  ;)

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:52:26, 31/03/18 »
One thing that caught my eye in all episodes was the large percentage of people using walking poles.

I'd like to watch a non-religious version with some celebs walking a LDP, something like the West Highland Way, to see how it affects their spirituality and inner selves. But I expect the chances of such a programme are about nil.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:30:13, 31/03/18 »
For 15 days walking they didn’t seem to encounter too many problems physically, although nice blisters on Debbie McGee’s foot :D 
At least they had some Compeed to sort it out!  On balance I thought that it was better than other "walking" programmes that have been on lately.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 10:41:22, 31/03/18 »
I can't say personally that I've ever seen a hiking film or documentary that truly picks up what actually happens to us and how we feel or what we experience in our thoughts when walking. Some people might have spiratuil thought but me, cant say I ever have. I've experienced 'wow', pleasure, elation, depression, a lack of enthusiasm, anxiety, physical weakness, pain, aches and so on, but have never had that kind of special moment.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 11:04:06, 31/03/18 »
A bit late to let everyone know but the film "The Way" is on BBC2 at 23.25 tonight.

I spotted that earlier in the week so I recorded it.  Got last night's programme to watch too.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:19:22, 31/03/18 »
I've only seen the first two episodes but I think it is interesting and well done. It doesn't feel, as many celeb programmes do, as if it is just about their self promotion.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 12:05:15, 31/03/18 »
Some people might have spiratuil thought but me, cant say I ever have. I've experienced 'wow', pleasure, elation, depression, a lack of enthusiasm, anxiety, physical weakness, pain, aches and so on, but have never had that kind of special moment.

Have you never sat on a rock gazing at an empty landscape and pondered how it was shaped by geology and climate, and then by man hundreds and even thousands of years before you? Consider the toil that was involved in building all the stone walls up the hillsides. The rocks have been there so long they are encrusted with lichens, you want to place your hand on them with reverence. How many people before you might have sat on the same handy stone, and how many more will come long after you are just dust? For a person with no religious beliefs, it brings home to me what tiny specks in the universe we are.

It doesn't feel, as many celeb programmes do, as if it is just about their self promotion.

It made a difference that the partcipants were all reasonably intelligent people, and not the all-too-familiar shallow chavs that somehow or other pass as celebrities.   

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:48:06, 31/03/18 »
Have you never sat on a rock gazing at an empty landscape and pondered how it was shaped by geology and climate?

Oh yes, even to the point of taking an OU degree in Geosciences but I can't say spirituality ever entered my head.

Consider the toil that was involved in building all the stone walls up the hillsides. The rocks have been there so long they are encrusted with lichens, you want to place your hand on them with reverence.

I can appreciate their age and the amount of work that went into them but "placing my hands on them with reverence"? I don't think so.   

As for the original programme I watched the first and some of the second but I got bored with all the introspection and turned it off. Should say that's not unusual for me, I've a very short attention span when it comes to television.   
« Last Edit: 14:55:12, 31/03/18 by Owen »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 23:30:39, 31/03/18 »
I'd like to watch a non-religious version with some celebs walking a LDP, something like the West Highland Way...

Could be a new wave of "reality TV"!  After all, we've got that Celebrity Survival Island thing with Bear Whatsisface  :D

I've caught up now and, on the whole, enjoyed the series.  Also watched the film that was on last night (that harland mentioned) - enjoyed that.  Nearly blubbed when the Dutch guy realised what the American guy was carrying in the tin box.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 08:28:32, 01/04/18 »
Not wishing to knock what I thoroughly enjoy doing i.e. walking quietly, normally alone and looking at the scenery, I do wonder whether a programme without the "side shows" of religion, penny farthing bikes, canoeing, jumping off cliffs would be any better.  It would be for me but I guess not for the majority of the rest of the couch TV watchers.  As a programme, perhaps as I am hoping to walk the Camino next year, I thought that it wasn't too bad.

"The Way" was pretty good at showing the scenery but again it needed a story to be told along the way.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy