Author Topic: Ribble Way  (Read 3157 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Ribble Way
« on: 20:24:23, 10/04/18 »
As I reached 72 years of age last week, I decided to re-visit the 72 mile Ribble Way, a walk i had done several times before, once back packing over 5 days and the others as a non-stopper, over an average 27 hours.
Along with my pal Malc we went for a non-stopper again, or should I say attempt as neither us are very fit at the moment due to not having done as much in the way of walking etc in the last year or so. That is apart from a couple of Ultra failures on my part, that is.
We held good pace for the first 40 miles from Longton near Preston to Gisburn, despite the continual rain during the first 5 hours and the slithering muddy fields which told on the legs.
After a two hour bivvy in Gisburn church porch, we continued, however the progress over Paythorne moor was slow and haphazard as several divertions were so badly signed, we added several miles, trying to figure it all out.
Early on we figured we would be done in 24 hours, however that time was coming up as we approached Settle after 54.5 miles, 18 miles short of our target. We could have carried on to make the rivers source and the end of the Ribble Way, some few miles beyond Ribblehead, but the weather, ground conditions and bad diversions spoiled the experience, so we decided to call it, in Settle. Still 54+ miles is a good starter for the season, and two days later the legs are fine and no problems with the feet.
If ever I do the route again I would not rely on the 1:50,000 mapping in the Ciccerone guidebook the I used, it just lacked so much detail. Diversions through many long fields and no fence marking made it very confusing.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: Ribble Way
« Reply #1 on: 12:58:13, 11/04/18 »
That's a seriously impressive walk, even more so given the weather and the conditions underfoot!  O0 

And you describe yourself as "[not] very fit at the moment" - the only thing I was after doing my longest single walk of circa 24 miles recently was fit to drop.  ;D  Well done to you and your mate.  O0 O0

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:03:31, 11/04/18 »
Thanks for your kind comments Adalard. I'm afraid my mate and myself are from the Ultra distance community and past fell and mountain runners. It is something we evolved into over many years.
As far as walking is concerned, of course the running made a big difference with fitness, but getting older and injuries/degeneration not mending as fast or as good when younger, the running became less and the injuries lasting longer, has led to the running almost entirely ceasing.
Fortuately walking has always been my saviour and although once satisfied with a steady 16 miler, gradually it built up to 100+ miles non stop, then multi days of an average 45 miles and so on.
The result being that when you could once comfortably walk 100 miles non stop (no sleep, no resting stops) continueously, you feel your comparitively loss of fitness when you can only manage 54.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:17:45, 11/04/18 »
Belated Happy 72nd Birthday :D

What does it matter how far or how long(it takes)? The important thing is you're out there doing it - at your age just enjoy it (or be grateful he he) ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:05:19, 12/04/18 »
 Sounds like a bit of a failure.Perhaps you need to show more tenacity and dig a bit deeper.It looks like you might be getting a bit soft as you approach old age. ;)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:02:29, 12/04/18 »
Sounds like a bit of a failure.Perhaps you need to show more tenacity and dig a bit deeper.It looks like you might be getting a bit soft as you approach old age. ;)

Ha,ha, from you Tony, I'll take that. Tenacity, digging deeper , oh yeah! If only my body would listen to that. Seriously though, once upon a time i could get away with not doing much trough work or injury and bounce back in no time. The bouncing back is now the problem, more of a rolling back. I need to get out on the fells more but to do so you have to want to do it. I guess I don't want it as much as I used to. Don't get me wrong I am still enthusiastic re long distance stuff, simply distracted with other things. I will be doing at least one multi day route this year after some 30 - 50 miler build ups.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:13:40, 12/04/18 »
Belated Happy 72nd Birthday :D

What does it matter how far or how long(it takes)? The important thing is you're out there doing it - at your age just enjoy it (or be grateful he he) ;D

Thing is Jac, it does matter to me and the guys that I do stuff with. All being present and past fell runners the competative edge never leaves you.
I have tried reverting back to the 16 or so miles per day on a multi day trip and it doesn't work. My natural pace get me from A to B too quickly and i di enjoy leaving before sunrise and will often have completed 16 miles by 9.30am, another 8 hours and it's 36 miles and so on. I am however planning a tough route and aim to limit it to around 30 miles per day, like I used to, but still leaving early and finishing late.
Being grateful, certainly, can't take these thing for granted, I am awaiting two appointments with consultants over matters which I never imagined I would have problems with, one of which could significantly be life changing, just keeping fingers crossed.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:57:43, 13/04/18 »

Being grateful, certainly, can't take these thing for granted, I am awaiting two appointments with consultants over matters which I never imagined I would have problems with, one of which could significantly be life changing, just keeping fingers crossed.

Good luck with that Dave.I hope it works out for you.

As you get older motivation is a real problem.Due to family matters I haven't been able to do any long distance paths over the last three years and getting motivated to do a local 10-15 mile walk each Sunday is hard as there is nothing to train for.I suppose it comes back to the running/competitive mindset where every training session was geared toward a goal.ie,a better time in the next race.Its hard to break out of that mindset.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:07:02, 13/04/18 »
Good luck with that Dave.I hope it works out for you.

Seconded - best wishes for good outcomes there.  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:47:48, 14/04/18 »
Thing is Jac, it does matter to me and the guys that I do stuff with. All being present and past fell runners the competative edge never leaves you.
I have tried reverting back to the 16 or so miles per day on a multi day trip and it doesn't work. My natural pace get me from A to B too quickly and i di enjoy leaving before sunrise and will often have completed 16 miles by 9.30am, another 8 hours and it's 36 miles and so on. I am however planning a tough route and aim to limit it to around 30 miles per day, like I used to, but still leaving early and finishing late.

Sorry, Slogger, my post wasn't really so flippant as it reads. Having to reduce our activities due to health or age - though they don't necessarily go han din hand - takes some adjusting to and, wonderful though the NHS is, the long waiting times can really start to pray on one's mind. A year taken up with waiting for 3 appointments feels like a year totally lost. I know.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:12:21, 15/04/18 »
Sorry, Slogger, my post wasn't really so flippant as it reads. Having to reduce our activities due to health or age - though they don't necessarily go han din hand - takes some adjusting to and, wonderful though the NHS is, the long waiting times can really start to pray on one's mind. A year taken up with waiting for 3 appointments feels like a year totally lost. I know.

No Jac, it's ok, I know what you meant. Ive noticed, it's been hard not to, that I get tired much more after a days work and for someone who used to get away with only around 4 hours sleep a night and up ready in the morning, I am now sleeping most of the night and struggling to get up when the alarm goes off. Oh, to be young again!....... not too young mind! :)

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #11 on: 21:08:01, 18/04/18 »
Your an inspiration slogger, what you consider a failure is for me at least 3days maybe 2 at a push. Im 41 and a bit, relatively healthy but not a patch on you, you would run rings round most people my age so i wouldn't beat youself up too much. your still in my elite out of reach league!! O0  P.S i love reading your reports!

"if in doubt, flat out"

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:37:29, 18/04/18 »
Yorshiremarv is right, Slogger. You are indeed an inspiration, 54.5 miles would take me about 4 days!
I hope all goes well with the hospital appointments.
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:30:33, 19/04/18 »
Yorshiremarv is right, Slogger. You are indeed an inspiration, 54.5 miles would take me about 4 days!
I hope all goes well with the hospital appointments.
................and again from me. O0

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:26:54, 23/04/18 »
You are all too kind. Some would think I boast about what I do, but I'm not that type of person and have never been self impressed, always thinking that I could have done better, I'm simply very enthusiastic about getting out there in the outdoors. The people that I associatte with are mainly fell and ultra distance runners, and believe me what I do is nothing compared to many of them, apart from the fact that I am somewhat older and they call me 'unusual'. Alas I can no longer keep up with them but continue best I can and keep trying to push the bounderies. If I can do what I do there's no reason why others (discounting health issues) can't build up to doing the same (if they feel so inclined) and if I inspire others to give it a go, as others have inspired me, that's reward enough.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy