Author Topic: The Monarch's Way  (Read 1794 times)

Stube

The Monarch's Way
« on: 10:55:16, 15/04/18 »
Lee (not a forum member as far as I'm aware) has just completed the first thru run of the Monarch's Way unsupported and wild-camping as necessary.

He compiled the first complete GPS track for the route and it's not 615 miles more like 650+ making it comfortably the longest single inland route in the UK and the longest English LDP of all (until the coast path is complete).

He started Maundy Thursday and was hoping to break 16 days, but in the end his right foot "blew up" yesterday so he was a few hours over! This is the fastest known transit. By contrast Charles II took 6 weeks mainly on horse back - but he did spend some time hidden in priest holes along the way.

As we are all aware, the weather has been awful the last couple of weeks and there was extensive flooding in Worcestershire and Warwickshire - thigh deep in parts! At one point he was "walking" down a road and swans were swimming up it towards him. When I caught up with him with "only" 70 miles to go his feet were being to suffer because they were dry for the first time in two weeks. I warned him of the heavy mud on parts of the section I'm responsible for - his reply was "By now, if it's not calf deep - then it's dry!"

The third running of the Monarch's Way Ultra is due to start in three weeks - I hope Lee will have recovered enough to take part. On the two previous runs, all competitors had dropped out before Charmouth - I think the mental strain of the precision navigation needed through the maze that is Somerset after 400 miles proves too much!

« Last Edit: 11:10:56, 15/04/18 by Stube »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: The Monarch's Way
« Reply #1 on: 17:17:09, 15/04/18 »
Hi Stube, you are not the organiser of the Monarch Way Ultra, by any chance? I know at least one guy who took part last year, and got the further than anyone else.

Stube

« Reply #2 on: 18:45:00, 15/04/18 »
No Slogger I'm not - I'm just a humble minder for a small section of the route.

I don't know who is - it's not the Monarch's Way  Association which organises the minders and publishes the guidebooks.

It was started by some Ultra runners who got interested in seeing if it was possible to run the route.

Lee's blog is here:

www.airlandandsea.blogspot.co.uk

no doubt he can put you in touch with the organisers.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:34:28, 17/04/18 »
I know the guy that organises the Monarch Way Ultra, he is one of the safety coordinators for the Spine Race. I just wondered if he was using your avatar on this forum. Lee was the first to drop out last year, so has done very well to get it all together, it's a long way. His blog doesn't as yet contain any details but no doubt will do at a later date. Cheers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy