Author Topic: C2C Proposed Equipment List  (Read 5214 times)

johnberman

C2C Proposed Equipment List
« on: 10:28:49, 22/04/18 »

So C2C last week of June and first week of July, Mixture of B&B, Campsites and some Wild camping
My proposed kit list is below with the odd question in italics

The list excludes Food and Cash - so am I missing anything essential ?

Main
Sherpa rucksack 60 +10
Whistle
Compass
Map Case
Platypus bottle - half litre
First Aid Kit
Rucksack Liner
Water Bottle - 1 Litre

Is that enough Water to carry ?

Cooking
Jet Boil - two Canisters, can I buy on route if needed ?
Knife \ Fork \ Spoon \ Bottle opener
large packtowl - Cooking cleaning
Cup \ Bowl

Clothes \ Hygiene
Absorbent towel - personal
Hand antibacterial gel
3 pairs socks (wash every other day)
3 pairs undies. (ditto)
three teeshirts
1 pair shorts
lightweight trousers zip off
Waterproof jacket
Soap
Toothpaste\Brush
Gaiters - Do I need them ?
Sun hat
sun cream
waterproof trousers
Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly

Sleeping
Sleeping Mat
Inflatable pillow
Tent
Sleeping Bag

Electronics
Solar Charger
Iphone
Action Cam
Head Torch
Torch - overkill ?

Misc
Sewing Kit
Nylon Cord

Regards
John B

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/TwoFeetLeft

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C Proposed Equipment List
« Reply #1 on: 13:08:49, 22/04/18 »

You might manage with 2 teeshirts.
If you have shorts, do you need zip off trousers if ordinary trousers are lighter?
You will probably need more water some days, so it is worth taking another water bottle, even if you don't fill it up every day

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:26:28, 22/04/18 »
Boots, shoes or something similar for trips to the pub in the evening. Maps, penknife, Compeed, notebook, pen/pencil, handkerchief, walking pole(s)(?), plastic bag for wet clothes, razor (?), nail scissors.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:22:57, 22/04/18 »
I wouldn't ditch gaiters, as for torch and headtorch being overkill I'd say yes, provided you're not planning to walk at night?
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:14:15, 22/04/18 »
Water is always dependant on weather.  You may get away with only 1 and a half litres if weather is poor but if hot I'd be wanting another litre.  As Islandplodder says you needn't carry it every day but at least have the capacity to do so and adjust depending on length of day, weather and whether there are any places on route to top up.
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:22:27, 22/04/18 »
For me, I need a small lightweight torch to find my way back to my tent in the dark after a few beers in the pub. I have one other more powerful torch in the tent with me. I'm not keen on head torches and often, but not always, just leave it at home.

I used to take 3 pairs of socks, underwear, shirts and baselayers but now only take two of everything. I always change my clothes every day, soon after my tent is erected for the night. I find I'm better at getting organised at this time of the day rather than trying to organise myself well in the morning. I have a Sea to Summit folding bowel which I use to wash the 'dirty' items and will often just leave them to soak over night. I prefer synthetic items, easy to clean, easy to dry. The next day the items are wrung out and then pegged to the back of my rucksack to dry. The routine can be broken when its raining but I rarely miss this daily procedure.

For sleeping I wear a synthetic long sleeved tee shirt (from Aldi, £3.99) and synthetic leggings, I wash these every 2nd or 3rd day. Same procedure, on the back of my pack to dry. Actually I'm looking to change my leggings for a new pair right now. My objective is to keep my skin from the sleeping bag material because over a short space of time too much body odour can absorbed into the fabric a feathers. I cant get on with liners, I get would up like a chrysalis in the night.

All I need then is correct items for shaving and personal hygiene and electrical stuff. I use a small container of shaving oil and then shampoo for mostly everything else. The heaviest one item is my phone battery, 12oz, but worth to me its weight in gold.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:52:42, 22/04/18 »
I would echo the comments about perhaps needing more water and also to take your gaiters. Graystone Hills on the last day can be awfully wet, the top of Loft Beck climbing out of Ennerdale can also be very boggy.

In terms of water - a sawyer filter might be a good idea - cheap, weighs next to nothing, and means you can collect water along the way - plenty of sources along the whole route with the possible exception of the North York moors.

Gas canisters should be obtainable in Grasmere, Glenridding/Patterdale, Kirkby Stephen and Richmond. You may struggle beyond Richmond.

Facebook tells me it's 4 years ago today that I finished in Robin Hood's Bay.  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:59:18, 22/04/18 »
Particularly if you are wild camping take some form of water filter/purification as, otherwise, you may have to carry up to 2 days supply. I like Travel Tap  :smitten: but look at Sawyer and Lifestraw too.

I would risk only 1 torch, but I know some people wouldn't.

I would go with 2 sets T-shirt etc. If you wash a set and they don't dry you just keep the old ones on until the new are ready. Always ask at B&Bs if they can dry stuff if you rinse it through and always wash in YHAs where there will be a good drying room.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:33:00, 22/04/18 »

. I have a Sea to Summit folding bowel which I use to wash the 'dirty' items and will often just leave them to soak over night.

Is it irritable, does it have a 'syndrome' or is it just 'folding' ?

Maggot

« Reply #9 on: 18:43:23, 22/04/18 »
I would suggest you lose....

The gaiters, un-necessary throw backs to a bye-gone era.  There only real purpose is to stop your trousers drying out properly.

You don't need a knife, fork and spoon.  A spoon is perfectly sufficient on it's own.

If you have zip-off trousers, you can ditch the shorts.

What is the large pack towel for?  Let things drain dry, or pop them back on the cooker while it's on, that will dry them much quicker.  If you take a towel it will just be a minging festering germ blanket within 24 hours.

The mapcase, another pointless throwback, designed only to strangle you in the wind or make you fold the map so the bit you need you can't see!

I would suggest you add...

A notebook and pencil, then you can keep a little journal, and write a goodbye note if it goes bad.

A tiny radio to keep the madness at bay.

Harveys waterproof maps, see mapcase comment above!

BUT....above all of that, and let's face it, even in these few replies you can see how different a bunch of randoms on the internet are with regard to their approach to walking.  BUT....the one thing we will all agree is simply this

Know how to use whatever you take!  There is absolutely no point in putting anything in that bag if you do not know and understand exactly what it does, when it is useful and why it should be there.  This is especially true of your map and compass.

Have a great walk, and good luck  O0

staggerindragon

« Reply #10 on: 18:58:05, 22/04/18 »
Definitely gaiters.  They make hand-washing trousers so much easier and add a layer of tick protection.  Some C2C walkers thought I was really silly wearing them, but I had the last laugh after Greenup Edge to Rosthwaite and Nine Standards.  :P

For water bottles, I found that carrying the typical bottled water bottles from the store are lighter than my fancy system that can work with my pack.  That said, I'm lucky to have a pack with accessible side pockets for the bottle(s).

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:49:54, 22/04/18 »
I would keep the gaiters

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:58:37, 22/04/18 »
I nearly forgot Maynards wine gums! :D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:04:41, 22/04/18 »
I would keep the gaiters

Definitely  O0
Where there's a will ...

Maggot

« Reply #14 on: 21:44:34, 22/04/18 »
Definitely gaiters.  They make hand-washing trousers so much easier and add a layer of tick protection.  Some C2C walkers thought I was really silly wearing them, but I had the last laugh after Greenup Edge to Rosthwaite and Nine Standards.  :P

For water bottles, I found that carrying the typical bottled water bottles from the store are lighter than my fancy system that can work with my pack.  That said, I'm lucky to have a pack with accessible side pockets for the bottle(s).

Just wear dirty trousers!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy