Author Topic: TR - High Street etc. in cloud 13/07/18  (Read 1044 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - High Street etc. in cloud 13/07/18
« on: 18:14:46, 23/07/18 »
We set off from Hartsop in the sunshine and followed the path by Haweswater Gill up towards, well, Haweswater.

Looking back down the valley, the only view of the day.

At the bottom of Haweswater we started to ascend up towards The Knott and disappeared in to the cloud. As we joined the C2C path we met a man and his 2 young sons who were walking it. They were still in shorts and Tshirts where as we had already succumbed to full waterproofs. We met many C2Cers on this section.

We summited The Knott before also bagging Rampsgill Head, High Raise and contouring round for Kidsty Pike.

The camera stayed safely in the dry bag apart from the obligatory summit shots, this one is Kidsty Pike but the all look very similar.

We were now heading back down the C2C path and as soon as we had said hi to one lot of walkers the next group would loom out of the mist.
One bloke did ask us if it was far to Shap, I hope he was joking.

We then turned south to follow the wall along the top of High Street and then took the edge path to lead us to Thornthwaite Crag.
Me by the beacon

Slithering down the worst path ever to Threshthwaite Mouth we then continued up the even worse one on to Cauldale Moor.
We were now on less popular ground than before and route finding became even more problematic. bearings, pacing and my ancient GPS were all pressed in to service.
It was with some relief but also not inconsiderable pride when the Atkinson Monument appeared to show us that we were exactly where we had hoped to be.

We then took the path along the top of Cauldale Moor, dropping down through the mine workings and out in to the sunshine before the final descent to the Brotherswater Inn.
« Last Edit: 18:19:43, 23/07/18 by Ridge »

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - High Street etc. in cloud 13/07/18
« Reply #1 on: 21:24:03, 23/07/18 »
That's a great round which deserved better weather than you got >:(
I should imagine those  paths down to and away from Threshthwaite mouth were really tricky in the clag and wet

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:40:36, 23/07/18 »
I should imagine those  paths down to and away from Threshthwaite mouth were really tricky in the clag and wet
Even in good weather they are not my favorite paths.
We talked briefly about heading down to Pasture Beck and not climbing up to Cauldale Moor but it would have meant more road walking later and also we were having too much fun to cut the day short.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:31:35, 23/07/18 »
What a shame about the weather, I am with you on the awful path on the loose stones down from Thornthwaite Crag, torture in descent. I quite like the route up Caudale Moor but perhaps not as much fun in the damp and clag.

There is a Karl route that goes directly down to Brotherswater from Caudale Moor. You are wise to have descended the more usual way   ;)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:55:17, 23/07/18 »
What a shame about the weather, I am with you on the awful path on the loose stones down from Thornthwaite Crag, torture in descent. I quite like the route up Caudale Moor but perhaps not as much fun in the damp and clag.
I've walked the path up to Cauldale Moor years ago and enjoyed it, perhaps it was just the weather.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:02:59, 23/07/18 »
There is a Karl route that goes directly down to Brotherswater from Caudale Moor.

No, I've got mixed up here, it is Hartsop Dodd, not Caudale Moor, where Karl led us down this horrendously steep path to Brotherswater  ;)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:21:37, 23/07/18 »
No, I've got mixed up here, it is Hartsop Dodd, not Caudale Moor, where Karl led us down this horrendously steep path to Brotherswater  ;)

Wasn't that the first time we ever walked together April?  (  http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2013/caudale-18-08-13.html  )  You should have realised then ;D  It's nice of you to remember our first time though :smitten:   ;D
Sorry for the thread HJ Ridge :)
 Here are some pics from the descent down the north west  ridge of Caudale Moor, It's a cracking way down  - http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2017/caudale-02-04-17.html
« Last Edit: 23:27:09, 23/07/18 by karl h »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:28:53, 23/07/18 »
Wasn't that the first time we ever walked together April?

Crikey, so it was  :o

It is a wonder why I ever went walking with you again  ;D

Sorry Ridge, more highjacking :-[
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:00:26, 24/07/18 »
Back on topic - great pics of grey, Ridge.  I've got some of those too!!
Paul

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:14:47, 24/07/18 »
Sorry Ridge, more highjacking :-[
Not highjacking just wandering a bit.

Back on topic - great pics of grey, Ridge.  I've got some of those too!!
Paul
Thanks Paul, yes I bet we all have an extensive collection of photos from inside a cloud.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy