Author Topic: Walking boots/shoes  (Read 775 times)

Shelley.lockyer

Walking boots/shoes
« on: 11:53:33, 04/10/18 »
Hi I’m quite new to hiking and purchased a pair of walking boots last year and every time I wear them I get blisters so on the look out for the best footwear which doesn’t give blister.
I do have sensitive feet my running trainers.
(3 different pairs) also give me blisters
I don’t mind the cost long as there worth it
Any recommendations please would be appreciated

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking boots/shoes
« Reply #1 on: 13:35:37, 04/10/18 »
A couple of ideas to try out. For example, wear one thin pair of socks and a thicker pair at the same time, or tape up your tender areas before you even start to walk. I always tape my little toes before I start, I've learned by experience that if I'm going to have a problem my little toes will be damaged first. No blisters, but on my last long hike my little toe nails fell off when I got home.

My most 'difficult' day is usually day three, that's when I usually become aware if my feet are going to cause me problems or not. Not blisters but various, aches, pains and strains which can sometimes start, often in my case with no apparent reason. These days I often get a few hours when my toes seem to lock, most uncomfortable. By day 4 or 5, with a bit of TLC and just just walking through the problems I usually have no further difficulties, hopefully!

When I'm hiking I always take particular care of my feet, when I stop, I take my boots off to 'air, clean and dry' them, I give them a massage and I change my socks twice a day or at least turn them inside out, at least until the next stop. When I get to a site I find it refreshing to walk around with bare feet for a while, if the grass is nice of course, not keen on stinging nettles or any prickly leaves. I think what I do all helps a bit, I no longer suffer as I used to.

I'm male and used to get blisters until I started buying women's boots, the smaller ankle area really helped me.

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:52:14, 04/10/18 »
Hi Shelley

Welcome to the forum.

The best advice I can offer is to get a proper boot fitting done at a reputable retailer. I used Cotswold Outdoor for my last 2 pairs of boots. The best boots will depend on your feet size and shape.

If you want something straight out the box without going for a fitting, Salomon boots are quite good. I bought a pair of Cosmic 4d boots and managed to do a 30 mile walk with just a few hotspots.

Gunwharfman is right though, foot care on trek can make a huge difference. I regularly change socks on long walks, usually after 10 miles, as my feet overheat and sweat profusely. It often requires a 30 minute boot of break and some talc. Always good to have some Compeed on standby too.

Hope this helps
You have one life, make the most of it.

SimoinEaston

« Reply #3 on: 19:46:57, 19/10/18 »
I have a modest collection of Brasher boots & shoes. Once I'd worked out which of their lasts fit me, I've made a happy hunting ground of eBay, to get hold of barely worn examples of their super, comfy boots. Never once had a blister wearing Brasher boots, although in fairness that might be 'cos their 41 size last is exactly right for me...
The ground-breaking (hohoho, what a jolly pun) SupaLite is a boot that most people describe as comfy from the get go, & still pops up on eBay at modest prices, which could mean you can afford to buy them 'on spec'.
Feedback after the brand's aquisition by Berghaus and production in China isn't so positive - I can't comment, as all mine were made in the UK or EEC.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy