Author Topic: Better hiking, what needs to be invented or re-invented?  (Read 3591 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
As I've strolled along I've often thought what still needs to be invented or re-invented to make hiking even better?

For me, a lightweight folding washing line that will fit on the back of my rucksack.
An elasticated belt that fixes with an S shaped metal snake, do they still sell them anywhere?
A mobile flip smartphone, with a good sized screen on one side and a proper keyboard on the other.
A rucksack bladder that will, at a glance, show me how much water is left in it.
A one man lightweight tent with see through windows, who or what is out there!
A self inflating Neo-Air mattress.
The same shaped handles on my Pacerpoles but much more lightweight ones.

MichaelUK

Re: Better hiking, what needs to be invented or re-invented?
« Reply #1 on: 14:43:43, 04/10/18 »
Try amazon/ebay for the elasticated belt. I remember them well from when I was a kid. I have a good "slider" buckle belt, North Ridge, although not elasticated. Not too sure about windows in a tent! Yes you can see out, but animals and people can see in!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:13:07, 04/10/18 »
My Craghoppers trouser belt and my Osprey waist belt have identical releases.  I have only tried to drop my trousers once instead of releasing my pack but as I get older, who knows? Clearly a market opportunity here.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 23:23:38, 04/10/18 »
Boots made without the big toe part tapering inwards towards the end, ie more natural foot shaped. Also 'zero drop'(no heel to forefoot height difference) as im pretty sure our natural stance/posture is flat on the ground.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:57:11, 05/10/18 »
An elasticated belt that fixes with an S shaped metal snake, do they still sell them anywhere?
Adult size snake belt here
https://thecostumestore.co.uk/collections/braces-and-belts/products/snake-belt-adult

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:50:28, 05/10/18 »
Thanks for the snake belt site, I keep pinching my fingers with the plastic release system that on my present belt so I have tended to look for other secure designs, but they all all seem to be the same these days.

My suggestion for tent 'windows' comes about because of my 2015 run in with 5 assertive pigs that tried to get in my tent with me. My present tent has four 9" x 5" clear windows, (I had them specially done two years ago), two at the front, two at the rear, they are only three inches from the ground, I don't have to sit up to look out and they have served me well, especially when I'm wild camping.  If a cow or sheep, etc decides to wander by I can make out their shape without having to open my tent and no longer just have to rely on sound to guide me. They also act as prompters about daylight which I personally find useful, at dawn I just like to get up, pack and go.

Another little idea that I would find useful, a small hard piece of plastic designed to fit comfortably in the palm of my hand, just to push tent pins into the soil, especially for when the ground is hard and dry. I'm sure it exists already but I've never seen one.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:04:35, 05/10/18 »

I think we might be able to do a lot better than £7.00 plus VAT plus delivery!

There's plenty available on eBay from £2.74 upwards just make sure that you pick one that's definitely elasticted if that's what you want as non-elasticated are also available. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=adult+elastic+snake+belt&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=adult+elastic+snake+belt&_sacat=0

Another little idea that I would find useful, a small hard piece of plastic designed to fit comfortably in the palm of my hand, just to push tent pins into the soil, especially for when the ground is hard and dry. I'm sure it exists already but I've never seen one.

It's amazing what a PVC T-Section/Joint of plumbing pipe can be used for. I'd bet you've probably already got one somewhere in your shed or garage if not try eBay or B&Q and get your hacksaw out. ;)
http://blog.gossamergear.com/homemade-peg-pusher

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:56:30, 05/10/18 »

Something I have a little experience of.
A pvc T-Section of plumbing pipe, as suggested by Kinkyboots, and readily available in B&Q etc, is too large a diameter I've found, and also weighs more.
The black plastic barbed T-pieces you can buy in aquatic centres etc for joining flexible pipes together are not strong enough. The one I tried broke on the second peg I pushed with it.
What is perfect is a nylon barbed T-piece, which you'll find on eBay, they are much stronger than the plastic ones. Mine is 19mm (3/4") diameter and weighs 5g after modification (see below).
You need to trim the side pipe of the T to at least half its original length, or you won't be able to push the pegs in far enough.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:04:33, 05/10/18 »
I just use a stone, any old stone will do, or a bit of wood if I can't find a stone. Failing that the toe of by boot will work although you have to be careful not to bend the peg.   

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:27:25, 05/10/18 »
Bend the peg! I often do and I've been know to fall over as well!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:28:24, 05/10/18 »
You can get elasticated "snake belts" in Boyes, market stalls and ladies fashion accessories shops. 

Or you can buy the interlocking clasps and inch or two inch wide black elastic from haberdashery shops to make your own.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:39:51, 05/10/18 »
Self cleaning walking boots and a waterproof jacket that is breathable in all weather conditions no matter what activity you are doing.

I can dream can't I.  :D
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Ronin83

« Reply #12 on: 00:09:21, 06/10/18 »
Self cleaning walking boots and a waterproof jacket that is breathable in all weather conditions no matter what activity you are doing.

I can dream can't I.  :D

Lol, the term breathable seems to be used very loosely nowdays with outdoor clothing in general.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:44:17, 06/10/18 »
A very lightweight but strong thingy to put over barbed wire on top of a fence to make it easier to get over without either tearing your breeks or falling off while doing wild contortions to avoid doing so.  Particularly important for those of us with shorter legs!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:37:08, 06/10/18 »
Para cord works fine for the light weight washing line.

Better lighter batteries  or tech that needs less power. 

Lighter than air water.  Ok maybe hoping for a miracle there.

A really quick way to purify water, on the move.  That tastes like nice clean fresh water.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy