Author Topic: New boots in Sales this year  (Read 2300 times)

GracieLiz

New boots in Sales this year
« on: 21:03:50, 01/01/19 »
Hi all,

I walk with a cheap pair of Karrimor boots which are ok but not waterproof and not massively comfortable on a long hike. I tens to get a bit of numbness in my big toe or at the end of my middle toe.

I'm looking for a good all-weather boot for hiking the SWCP this year for less than £100. Any suggestions or advicemany thanks!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: New boots in Sales this year
« Reply #1 on: 00:55:37, 02/01/19 »
That feeling in your toes  sounds like the boots you have just do not fit properly.  Usually get your boots fitted by a qualified fitter. Do so in the afternoon after a good walk wear two pairs of socks when trying your new boots. The reason is that your feet swell when walkng a long way. ( That Isaac Newton has a lot to answer for, inventing gravity😀) I wear Karrimor in the allotment and clean them then spray them with waterproofer weekly, they don't ever leak.Look out you tube videos on how to lace boots so your toes don't bang against the toe box.
Then search for articles in this forum on boot recomendations.   After complaints about spam postings that subject is probably the next highest in frequency. The member Kinky Boots is a huge fount of knowledge on all things boot wise as well as notifying us on bargains.
Have fun on the forum  it is a very interesting place to spend your interweb time.

Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:18:41, 02/01/19 »

I'm looking for a good all-weather boot for hiking the SWCP this year for less than £100. Any suggestions or advicemany thanks!

Hi GracieLiz

I'm very pleased with my all leather Grisport Peaklander boots that I bought in October for £80.

https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78/peaklander-brown-p927

They do Ladies versions too.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 12:52:00, 02/01/19 »
If you could stretch your budget you could look at these https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-r-evo-gtx-walking-boots-p304782&gclid=Cj0KCQiA37HhBRC8ARIsAPWoO0yL4COGsNhIMS-5gHdjg_T9WArk7oNOmLMgThzW-ckUYVzGrFj-wR8aAnKrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

But always try boots on first cotswolds are great for fittings too

Johncharl

« Reply #4 on: 17:51:22, 02/01/19 »
Hi.

Try Salomon X All Mid Ltr GTX in a sale somewhere they are amazing for around your budget.

dave_p

« Reply #5 on: 09:24:16, 03/01/19 »
Recommendations for boots is largely pointless as everyone's feet suit different boots.  Personally I prefer shoes anyway.  Better to recommend a good shop than a good boot.  Of the big chains, IMO Cotswold Outdoor is the best.  Helpful patient knowledgable staff.  Try and go mid week when they're quiet and have more time to give you. Or go to a good independent.  I live in Birmingham and will happily go down to Trekkit in Hereford because their stuff is good and so are their staff.

I'd also concur that your toe problem isn't necessarily because of the boots per se, it's because you have the wrong size.

When I buy boots, breathability and keeping my feet cool is paramount because I run hot.  Hot sweaty feet lead to blisters.  So I go for very lightweight approach/trail shoes and very thin socks.  This clearly doesn't work for many people so I would never recommend my choices to others.

GracieLiz

« Reply #6 on: 10:52:41, 03/01/19 »
Thank you to everyone who has commented so far! What I know now, is of course, that I knew very little indeed! Boots are not just boots and my mind is blown!

I began reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed on the plane back from Guatemala last month and by the time I was on home turf I was googling how and whether I could walk the SWCP this year. Having made the decision to do it, and on reading about the importance of good footwear (not wanting to end up like Cheryl and lose most of my toenails or skin) I have realised a little more time needs to be spent!

I did go to Go Outdoors yesterday afternoon: I walked 2 miles to get there in order to warm up my feet (Thank you jimbob) and although I had some assistance, I quickly realised the knowledge base was basic, but that my boots are probably the wrong fit. I am also very aware of the difference in personal preference, and the importance of a good fitting and advice, so the rush is called off as I need to spend a little more time trying on and researching. I also tried on some Scarpas, a brand I had never heard of (thanks Dank86) but they are a little over budget as there are other provisions I need too.

I have scrubbed my old Karrimors and will rewaterproof them, thanks again Jimbob and to the other suggestions. Very grateful - this is much more helpful than the questions I asked various "ramblers" in the area on Twitter.

GracieLiz

« Reply #7 on: 10:56:54, 03/01/19 »

Hi GracieLiz

I'm very pleased with my all leather Grisport Peaklander boots that I bought in October for £80.

https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78/peaklander-brown-p927 [nofollow]

They do Ladies versions too.

Thanks these look good I may buy some as the delivery is free and return refund is cheap... Perhaps I will order two sizes. Apparently I am between sizes... adding to the problem!

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 10:59:54, 03/01/19 »
I hope you get round to finding the boots the fit just right 😊

As long as returns are no quibble I can't see an issue ordering and wearing around the house to check the fit

dave_p

« Reply #9 on: 11:02:46, 03/01/19 »

Thanks these look good I may buy some as the delivery is free and return refund is cheap... Perhaps I will order two sizes. Apparently I am between sizes... adding to the problem!

The better brands usually offer half-sizes.

dave_p

« Reply #10 on: 11:06:04, 03/01/19 »

Another point about Cotswold is that if you sign up with an account you get a standard 2 year, no quibble guarantee.  I took my last pair of trail shoes back after 15 months of hard use and the seams were splitting slightly.  I felt a bit cheeky even trying but they exchanged them with no issues at all.  You don't even need a receipt as the original sale is recorded on their system.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:50:39, 03/01/19 »
Berghaus have a decent range of boots, very good value for money with many sellers giving decent discounts. You should be sble to easily find someting to suit well within your budget.
It's all uphill from here.

dave_p

« Reply #12 on: 15:01:55, 03/01/19 »
Some general 'boot thoughts':

Whilst many walker are still seen in heavy leather boots with thick wool socks, even in summer, over the last 10-20 years there has been a gradual move away from this thinking.  It's part of a general move towards lighter kit in general, not just boots.  However, keeping things light is especially beneficial with footwear as the pendulum motion when walking makes those grams weigh a lot more on your feet than when carried on your back.  I still have a pair of Scarpa leather boots, and although they're pretty light for what they are, I still hardly ever wear them.  An ideal boot or shoe for any person is one which is comfortable over long distances.  Many things contribute to that, including; fit, cushioning, weight, breathability, warmth, support and waterproofness.  It's often tricky to get all of those things into one boot/shoe.  For example, a shoe will usually sacrifice warmth and support for breathability and lightness.  Many walkers are even sacrificing waterproofing after watching fell runners skipping past them on the mountains, and there is an argument that extremely light and thin shoes are fine to walk in when it's wet because they're so breathable and they dry so quickly.  If you're prone to turning an ankle, then you might not want to go down that route though.

On the South-west coast path you'll be basically going up and down, then up and down for over 600 miles.  But the path is generally in good conditions and you're unlikely to encounter any serious deep mud.  I'd want very light shoes for that type of walk.  Goretex is helpful if waterproofing is important to have (beware cheap alternative membranes though, they often don't breathe well at all).  Salomon make some decent light shoes, as do Scarpa with their Oxygen and Zodiac ranges.  Meindl are good for those with wider feet, as are Merrell.  But don't completely rule out some very lightweight trail-runners like the ones made by Innov8 - they're not waterproof but they'll dry really quick and you can always take a couple of pairs of spare socks to change into.

I remember sitting and chatting with a guy in Scotland last May.  The weather was baking and his feet had gotten into a right state.  I wasn't surprised since he was wearing heavy leather boots with a pair of thick wool walking socks and liners inside them.  His feet had swollen because they were so hot and were rubbing inside his boots.  I noticed he kept glancing down at my footwear - basically a rugged version of a pair of trainers and a pair of very thin merino socks.

Sorry for rambling...but that's what we do, isn't it?

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 17:56:59, 03/01/19 »
To add my tuppence...

Pay particular attention to the toe box. Boots may be wide, but still have a narrow toe box or may start angling inwards too soon, squeezing your toes together. The rest of a boot will loosen up, but unless you've got the most powerful toe splay ever, you won't stretch out a toe box.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:06:13, 03/01/19 »
My experience is very different.  I usually walk all the year round in boots (Tetheras) with one pair of socks and don't have a hot foot problem.  I find the the support boots provide enable me to go further and faster than I can in trainers.  In fact, I tried my favourite trainers again for my first New Year walk this year as I was confined to lanes.  I found I was much slower and less comfortable round the ankles and, although my trainers are well fitting, the lack of a decent toe box allowed one toe to draw blood on its neighbour.  The day after I did twice the distance on hillier lanes in boots with no problem at a steady rhythmic 5kph.
There is no one size fits all solution.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy