Author Topic: Miniature Lake District Route maps  (Read 4687 times)

blrovers

Miniature Lake District Route maps
« on: 17:37:38, 15/09/08 »
I'm a newbie to the site and I'm impressed with what I've seen so far and the amount of information that there is here.

I've recently started walking in The Lake District and always take a OS 1:50 000 Landranger Map with me which can be a little awkward in high winds or rain!!

I've seen people out and about on the fells with miniature route maps contained in what look like document holders around the walkers neck. Obviously these seem both waterproof and much easier to glance at quickly for reference. Are these available to buy anywhere does anyone know? Thanks.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Miniature Lake District Route maps
« Reply #1 on: 17:46:18, 15/09/08 »
They're probably just standard 1:25000 maps folded in a map case - eg something like an Ortleib case....

These are grand for keeping your maps dry but there are some disadvantages:

e.g. - They can wrap around your neck or slap ypu in the face in high winds
You can't always see the grid reference numbers (if you're using GPS, this can be quite important)
and....
If your walk is a long one, sometimes you might have to refold your map a few times, which is a faff in a wind....

But I use a waterproof map case most of the time..

Or (!) they could be using dowloads from websites....  If they are, they really should be using an OS map as well.

1;50 k maps are ok, but there's much more detail on the 1:25 k, including things like field boundaries, which aren't on 1:50k.  Sometimes there can be too much detail, though and this can be confusing...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

blrovers

« Reply #2 on: 17:51:58, 15/09/08 »
They're probably just standard 1:25000 maps folded in a map case - eg something like an Ortleib case....

These are grand for keeping your maps dry but there are some disadvantages:

e.g. - They can wrap around your neck or slap you in the face in high winds
You can't always see the grid reference numbers (if you're using GPS, this can be quite important)
and....
If your walk is a long one, sometimes you might have to refold your map a few times, which is a faff in a wind....

But I use a waterproof map case most of the time..

Or (!) they could be using dowloads from websites....  If they are, they really should be using an OS map as well.

1;50 k maps are ok, but there's much more detail on the 1:25 k, including things like field boundaries, which aren't on 1:50k.  Sometimes there can be too much detail, though and this can be confusing...

All very useful info mike. Thanks.

I'd image that downloaded route guides would have minimal detail and I think I'll stick with my trusty OS (will have a look at the 1:25 k too) and invest in a waterproof map case.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:37:57, 16/09/08 »
I would recommend treating yourself to the 1:25,000 they make life so much easier.

- They can wrap around your neck or slap ypu in the face in high winds
I always have the string quite long and wear it round my neck and over one shoulder. If you want to study it in detail you have to slip your arm out bit just for a quick check you can still use it and it does stop annoying map-swing.

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:52:49, 16/09/08 »
:angel:
May I be so bold as to suggest a range of books that contain not only routes on laminated A5 cards using OS maps but also that important weatherproof map case.

Choose your walk, put the card in the mapcase, string round you neck and off you go.

http://www.walking-books.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=70&strPageHistory=cat

Discount offered for walkingforum members - contact me via the site.
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

blrovers

« Reply #5 on: 18:07:05, 16/09/08 »
I would recommend treating yourself to the 1:25,000 they make life so much easier.
I always have the string quite long and wear it round my neck and over one shoulder. If you want to study it in detail you have to slip your arm out bit just for a quick check you can still use it and it does stop annoying map-swing.

Yes I was looking at the 1:25 k maps today and they are a lot more detailed. Would be a wise investment I think.

Good tip about the map holder too...might come in handy on a wild day crossing Windy Gap!

blrovers

« Reply #6 on: 18:08:50, 16/09/08 »
:angel:
May I be so bold as to suggest a range of books that contain not only routes on laminated A5 cards using OS maps but also that important weatherproof map case.

Choose your walk, put the card in the mapcase, string round you neck and off you go.

http://www.walking-books.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=70&strPageHistory=cat

Discount offered for walkingforum members - contact me via the site.

You may indeed and I'll certainly take a look at what sounds like something I'd find very useful.

Thanks.

stevieboy378

« Reply #7 on: 18:31:56, 16/09/08 »
Ortleib Cases are great ! !
They're versatile too - Several times I've used mine as a makeshift bladder -  to ferry water from a stream to my wild camping spot . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Skinny Walker

« Reply #8 on: 08:44:41, 17/09/08 »
I use one that folds in half (and has little velcro bits to hold it closed).

I attach it to a blt loop and it fits nicely in my cargo pocket, secure, doesn't flap about and you have both hands free...

http://www.blacks.co.uk/Waterproof-Mapcase/product/094541.aspx?searchbreadcrumbs=map-case

I usually don't use Blacks out of principle but needs must....
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

blrovers

« Reply #9 on: 14:25:21, 03/10/08 »
Ortleib Cases are great ! !
They're versatile too - Several times I've used mine as a makeshift bladder -  to ferry water from a stream to my wild camping spot . . .

All useful information stevie. Thanks.

blrovers

« Reply #10 on: 14:26:19, 03/10/08 »

I attach it to a blt loop and it fits nicely in my cargo pocket, secure, doesn't flap about and you have both hands free...

http://www.blacks.co.uk/Waterproof-Mapcase/product/094541.aspx?searchbreadcrumbs=map-case

Thanks for the info Chubby. Looks like this is the way to go!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:17:51, 04/10/08 »
Myself, as I use memory map, I have a print out A4 25k map of the area I'm walking (sometimes 2 as it depends) stuffed in a A4 plastic ring binder jobby. My mate has the same. A full blown map lives in my ruck, the blow up in a leg pocket.

Works for me. The area I'm in is quickly accessible and not big enough to blow away or flap in the wind. If I need it I still have access to the full blown map as well.

The 50k memory map is available for about £30 so may be worth a look.

For a full 25K viewof the lakes you need to buy 4 paper / electronic maps. Lucklily for me I got  memory map at 25k before the split.
« Last Edit: 23:21:41, 04/10/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Steelystan

« Reply #12 on: 17:15:07, 05/10/08 »

I've got one of them too Chubby - nicely designed overall, but don't you find they are about 1/8 inch too narrow at the mouth for putting a standard OS map in completely flat?  I have considered ripping the covers off my maps to solve this and also to make folding against the creases easier.  I had an idea that maps could be made so much easier to handle if (minus the cover) they were screwed up in to a ball half a dozen times so they are not so stiff.  They would still fold along their original creases, but also any way you wished them to to better display the area you are walking in.  New maps remind me of trying to read a broadsheet paper in a gale. 

Does anyopne use those laminated OS maps?  they seem very unwieldy to me and weigh about a kilo per sq foot it seems.

SS
178/214.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #13 on: 19:44:34, 05/10/08 »
SS, I did find that so I ever so carefully peeled the covers off the maps. Then (because I am somewhat of a map geek  ::)) I fold them so they fit perfectly into the map case, then when I am finished I band them back together.
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

NotMandatory

« Reply #14 on: 17:17:21, 01/02/09 »
Does anyone scan and enlarge OS 1:25,000 maps? I was thinking about doing that next time - just printing out the areas I need to reduce bulk and map damage. I'm actually geeky and OCD enough to print sections out at a5/a6 size, laminate them, and punch holes in them to keep on a carabiner.

Obviously I'd pack the original maps too, just in case...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy