Author Topic: Pillar to Red Pike via Ennerdale Forest  (Read 572 times)

sirgeoffrey

Pillar to Red Pike via Ennerdale Forest
« on: 19:41:38, 12/03/09 »
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone here can help with some local knowledge of Ennerdale Forest?

The OS map I have 1:25,000 OL4 show a footbridge at 176 132 and possibly another at 165 135.

Are these the only two places where it is possible to cross the River Liza, or is it possible to get across closer to High Gilerthwaite (around 150 138)?

Thanks for your help

Carl

kirbstones

Re: Pillar to Red Pike via Ennerdale Forest
« Reply #1 on: 11:01:20, 16/03/09 »
I can give you a part answer.  I was in Ennerdale in October, we descended from Pillar via the NW ridge and there was no crossing between 152138 and Gillerthwaite.

I can't find anything on the Wild Ennerdale site either. http://www.wildennerdale.co.uk/walking.html  although this might be of interest, from that site.

Please note that following the November 2008 storms a number of routes have suffered erosion. This is especially visible along the Liza Path between the bottom of Lingmell Sheep Walk and Moss Dub. The river has significantly changed its course along this section and the walked path is no longer visible. The forest road provides the best alternative route. The Wild Ennerdale partners and Lake District National Park Authority are working on a solution to this problem.

I may be up there over Easter if it's any use and you're planning to go later than that.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

sirgeoffrey

Re: Pillar to Red Pike via Ennerdale Forest
« Reply #2 on: 20:29:47, 17/03/09 »
Thanks for that Phil.

We are planning to go up there at Easter as well. I have 3 days in which to complete a circular walk from Nether Wasdale (wild camping on the 2 nights).

I was planning on descending Pillar by the NW ridge and ascending High Stile but now I dont know whether to:

a) From Pillar descend to Black Sail Pass, past the YHA and up Haystacks before going on to Green Gable and Great Gable
or
b) From Pillar head to Kirk Fell, then Great Gable and then Green Gable.

I would like to do as much of the Scafell Ridge as possible.

Regards

Carl

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy