Author Topic: Just back from the lakes  (Read 2032 times)

suzynick

Just back from the lakes
« on: 00:18:53, 28/03/09 »
Hi everyone

Just got back from the lakes today.  Our 'cheap' caravan was awful  :o  I know we only paid £60 for 4 nights but they could have least cleaned the place!  Apart from it being dirty, one window had came away slightly from the van so we had to thump it back in again, the toilet seat wasn't on properly, gas appliances didn't really work that well and it was flaming freezing! Ho hum.

Anyway, we arrived on Monday a/noon and set off on our first walk on Tuesday.  Went up to Coniston Old Man and then over to dow crag.  Looked a bit scary from a distance but was ok.  Then set off over some more crags and ended up back in Coniston.

On Wednesday we went back in the same area and went up to swirl how and then weatherlam.

And finally on Thursday we attempted Helvellyn for the 3rd time going up via Swirral edge.  We have been up the easy route once before but failed to get up this way.  Once again we came back as the wind was a bit too scary for us! Not experienced walkers really so decided to come back down.  Got further than we have before so that was good (partner not good on heights) but still a bit disappointed.

Saw a red squirrel though so that cheered o/h up, first one we have ever seen!

Week was quite good really,despite the weather.  We were quite lucky whilst we were walking though did experience some snow, heavy rain and icy rain!

grahama

Re: Just back from the lakes
« Reply #1 on: 08:24:09, 28/03/09 »
Hi Suzynick,

Sounds good, any photos of the trip.  Always good to look through a pictures with a description.

Regards,

Graham
Record of my walks with my lad, and other walks ongoing!!

www.dinneratthetop.blogspot.com

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:43:15, 28/03/09 »
yes pictures please !   helvellyn ! oh well its not going anywhere is it eh LOL.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:49:29, 28/03/09 »
Just for you darksky!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:50:20, 28/03/09 »

Simplezi

« Reply #5 on: 17:11:43, 28/03/09 »
Hi there me and my partner aslo walked the Old Man on Tuesday maybe we passed at some point, what time did you reach the top?

Simon

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:26:15, 28/03/09 »
Just for you darksky!

Ian

LOL - Darksy - i hear they are going to start charging you council tax for being on Hellvelyn for such extended periods of time.

Anytime you fancy another day out let me know. That camoing bairn we stayed in was class !!!

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:06:55, 28/03/09 »
Nice 1 Ian...,great photo mate i must say, going back in a week or so , gotta right good route planned, starting from glenridding mountain which will take me over about 6 different tops leading onto helvellyn eventually, but im wild camping whilst doing it for a few days..cant wait..........UKMASE..very funny mate LoL...
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

suzynick

« Reply #8 on: 23:02:37, 28/03/09 »
Hi Suzynick,

Sounds good, any photos of the trip.  Always good to look through a pictures with a description.

Regards,

Graham

Unfortunately not my partners naff camera told me to change the battery pack as soon as I turned the damn thing on  >:(  Real shame as well as we could not believe how good the view was very clear across all the mountains  :)

suzynick

« Reply #9 on: 23:03:39, 28/03/09 »
yes pictures please !   helvellyn ! oh well its not going anywhere is it eh LOL.

We're not giving up! Think we'll have to try and go when the weather is just perfect.  No snow and no wind!

suzynick

« Reply #10 on: 23:05:07, 28/03/09 »

Was you here?

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/ [nofollow]

Everyone looks like little stick insects!

suzynick

« Reply #11 on: 23:06:30, 28/03/09 »
Hi there me and my partner aslo walked the Old Man on Tuesday maybe we passed at some point, what time did you reach the top?

Simon

Hi Simon

Apparently we got to the top around mid day.  Just before the weather changed and the dark clouds moved across and we got the snow and icy rain!

morty

« Reply #12 on: 10:17:57, 29/03/09 »
I was up there on Tues and Wednesday, walking the 2 days of the cumbria way with my mate who was doing it all..

See photo's forum

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2897.0.html

We were really lucky with the weather.  Blustery and some rain late on Tuesday but generally good.

Simplezi

« Reply #13 on: 14:52:35, 29/03/09 »
Sounds like we were up there around the same time got to the top between 12.00 n 12.30 I would say wasnt really looking at the time just the views then like you said the in come the clouds, wind and yep even snow and then the rain lol small world really heres a little pic of me and my partner maybe you saw us (could tell we were new at it lol)

Simon

suzynick

« Reply #14 on: 08:17:38, 30/03/09 »
Sounds like we were up there around the same time got to the top between 12.00 n 12.30 I would say wasnt really looking at the time just the views then like you said the in come the clouds, wind and yep even snow and then the rain lol small world really heres a little pic of me and my partner maybe you saw us (could tell we were new at it lol)

Simon

Hi Simon!

Yes we saw you both! You were sitting down at the summit the same time as us, there was an older couple in the middle!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy