Author Topic: Snowdonia  (Read 2115 times)

Miles Prower

Snowdonia
« on: 22:24:24, 03/08/19 »
What are everyone's top 3 locations for a Snowdonia trip?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: 22:38:45, 03/08/19 »
Glyderau
Carneddau
Moelwyns
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Miles Prower

« Reply #2 on: 23:24:10, 03/08/19 »
Excellent,  is it usual to drive to the start of each walk and park there etc? 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:38:05, 04/08/19 »
Interesting question, Miles.

Tryfan and the Glyders would certainly be up there for me. Parking is obvious.

And I do love the Eastern approaches to the Carneddau - truly big country. Parking at the head of the public road going up towards Llyn Eigiau.

But for number three I would go for the northern half of the Rhinogs, some really wild 'badlands' within striking distance of beautiful Cwm Bychan. Magical.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:54:50, 04/08/19 »
Excellent,  is it usual to drive to the start of each walk and park there etc?
That really depends. If staying at Idwal Cottage you can do a lot from the doorstep, for instance. Or you might use public transport for some places - the Sherpa bus is great. Or you might be doing a big trek across the whole range tying in with trains at each end.
But yes, mostly drive to a spot then do a circular walk from there.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:03:06, 04/08/19 »
For me it's the Moelwyns, a complete mix of summits, rockinesss, plenty of lakes, industrial archaeology (slate) and from the NW side beautiful views of the Snowdon Horseshoe. It's nothing like as frequented as Snowdon, the Glyders and the southern Carneddau, you'll often not see another person at all. There is parking at many points around it, free if you search for a spot on the outskirts of a village.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:16:38, 04/08/19 »
Tryfan for sure, you can simply park at the bottom.

Miles Prower

« Reply #7 on: 00:22:17, 06/08/19 »
Great stuff everyone

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:55:31, 06/08/19 »
1- Carneddau from the Gerlan side, either an ascent of Carnedd Llewelyn using the Caseg Valley, or climbing the shoulder of Bera Mawr and Yr Aryg, to reach the Central Ridge.

2- A circuit of the Southern Rhinogs, but heading in a anticlockwise direction from Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr, Diffwys, and onto Yr Lether and ending up on the summit of Moelfre.
That one is pretty magical, and your virtually guaranteed peace and solitude.

Also visiting Bryn Cader Fanner stone circle above Talysarnau, also part of the Rhinogs.

3- An ascent of Cader Idris, using either the Minnfordd path or Foxes route, either way is a classic.
« Last Edit: 13:00:14, 06/08/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:42:30, 06/08/19 »
Well, seeing as no-one's mentioned it yet, I'm going to recommend the lonely outpost of Creigiau Gleision. I've been avoiding it for years in favour of the honeypots it's surrounded by. Back at spring bank I decided I was finally going to walk it From Capel Curig via Crimpiau.
To be honest I was expecting a rough and difficult fairly dull trudge. Far from it - a splendid walk that's now a nailed-on favourite. O0

It's certainly lonely, after Crimpiau I didn't see anyone for the rest of the day. I continued on over the top to emerge at the dam end of Llyn Colwyd then walked back to Capel alongside the Llyn then down over the moor with splendid views down the Ogwen valley.

Pick a nice day and I'm sure you'll love it! In retrospect it was so nice, I'm amazed it wasn't far busier.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:32:58, 07/08/19 »

+1 for Creigiau Gleision, but my favourite approach is from Trefriw, following the stream to Llyn Geirionydd to take a look at the lead mines that line it's banks, cutting across a hillside past a slate cavern to beautiful Llyn Crafnant, along either shore of Llyn Crafnant, then taking the Capel Curig track to the top of the bwlch, climbing Crimpiau and craggy Creigiau Gleision, along the ridge before dropping down into the lower Crafnant valley and returning to Trefriw.

A grand way to spend half a day if the clouds are down on the higher tops.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Miles Prower

« Reply #11 on: 09:52:01, 07/08/19 »
Some nice suggestions,  this is a first time trip for us so I'm sure it'll all be great.  We're going to stay in a few places dotted around, Betws-y-coed, Llanberis and Barmouth being three, so with the car hopefully can get about even more. 
Are most of the trails obvious or need map and compass?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:19:58, 07/08/19 »
There are plenty of well-trodden paths, but I would not go up without map and compass (and ability to use them). It would be very easy to pick the wrong path and end up completely wrong.
« Last Edit: 19:37:05, 07/08/19 by archaeoroutes »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:26:32, 07/08/19 »
It's clear he meant NOT go up without map and compass!

And regarding the ability to use them, last summer I lent one of my adult sons my 1:25k Snowdon map, he got himself a compass, and I additionally showed him how to use an app on his phone.
Off he went up to Dulyn Reservoir and then to Cwm Eigiau to look at aeroplane crash sites.
For the first site he only had to follow the track from where you park up to Melynllyn Reservoir and then a path up to Dulyn, while there's a clear track and path as far as the old mine workings in the cwm, but he got less than halfway to either of them.
I'm ashamed to admit that he didn't have a clue how to use any of the aids.
I've had sleepless nights over this, where did I go wrong as a father?
« Last Edit: 19:41:38, 07/08/19 by fernman »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:38:35, 07/08/19 »
It's clear he meant NOT go up without map and compass.
Thanks, post amended. I hate typing on my 'phone!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy