Author Topic: Buying gear from Amazon  (Read 2197 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Buying gear from Amazon
« on: 10:12:33, 26/05/18 »
I do buy items from Amazon now and again. The last time I bought something was on April 25th. Today, whilst looking at our bank statement Amazon has taken £7.99 out of my account because it claims that I have signed up for Prime. I do not remember doing so, how has this happened? Did I at some point sign up for Prime? I am normally very, very, careful with this company because I think they are a very crafty operator. I do not want Prime so how has this happened? If its not me they must have done it without my permission? If it is them, how have they done it, does this mean they can do what they like with my finances (and yours?) and we may never know a thing about it until I check my statement? I find it all very spooky and potentially dangerous.

I went on line, scrolled down to the Prime section and lo and behold, the screen details told me that I had 'signed up' to Prime? I immediately cancelled it, carefully going through the obstacles put on screen to deter me and to change my mind about it. I fully cancelled!

The within 2 mins I received an email saying that Amazon will reimburse me £7.99 within 7 working days. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? It all seems very dodgy practice. Amazon I'm sure will have their answer but dare I trust them again?

Something like this happened to me before when I bought tyres and a 'tyre insurance' cost was added to my bill without me being told about it. I phoned the company and they immeadiatly refunded me, no questions asked. My brother in law experienced the same problem when he purchased a virus checker from PC world. He queried it and he too was immeadiatly refunded. I suspect a lot of customers wouldn't bother so these companies would have made a packet anyway! Is Amazon trying the same trick? I'm going to be refunded but I suspect a lot of people will not bother and just pay up.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Buying gear from Amazon
« Reply #1 on: 10:17:38, 26/05/18 »
Amazon are very crafty operators but probably no more so than most. You just need to be careful what delivery you choose as they use this of a way of signing you up to Prime.

zuludog

« Reply #2 on: 12:54:30, 26/05/18 »
several months ago I bought a couple of (non-outdoor) items off Amazon; and yes, when I got my credit card statement I found I had inadvertently signed up for Prime
I worked through their website and cancelled it, but I couldn't be bothered to reclaim the £7-99.
It has, however, taught me to be aware of such things in future

they might not be illegal, but they are definitely sharp practice
Perhaps the recent shake up of online purchasing will improve things - but then, they will always find a way

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:24:54, 26/05/18 »
I think Ridge has the answer. They do trick you into signing up in the delivery section as well as the more obvious ways to deliberately sign up.

I signed up to prime for the films as we no longer connect to TV channels except through the Internet.  I have had the benefit of next day delivery as a result which to be honest is of no big deal to me.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:27:02, 26/05/18 »
Never had a problem with Amazon, quite the reverse.  In the past I took advantage of their offer to trial Prime membership for a month to do my Christmas shopping and then cancelled it within the month and got my £7.99 back.

Last month I ordered a mower from them, the grass box was damaged so I called them and they sent me a new mower the same day before I had even returned the defective one.  They also credited my card £30 to pay for the return ahead of me sending it back and an additional £4.74 later to cover the actual cost of sending it even though I hadn't got round to chasing them for it. Given that I could have done it for less then £30 but elected to go for a superior service that was a bit dearer I reckon that is good service

I also like having a standing order with them for regular delivery of items.  I have one for a brand of coffee beans that a like.

If you use Amazon Smile,  Amazon will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) of eligible purchases to the charitable organisation of your choice. OK it's not a lot but if everybody did it.............
« Last Edit: 15:37:52, 26/05/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:21:57, 26/05/18 »
Yeah, same thing happened to me. I never signed up tp Prime, but noticed a couple of months debits, cancelled straight away. However i have recently signed up to Amazon Prime after purchasing an Amazon Firestick for the tv. Fed up of ever increasing Virgin prices, so looking to go Freeview, with the added programmes that comes with Prime etc.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:51:03, 27/05/18 »
A teeny weeny bit related? I listened to the Money Programme on Radio 4 yesterday primarily about TSB but the bit about how villains can take over our SIM cards interested me. I have to listen to it again (on Iplayer) to get a proper grasp of what the programme is highlighting. Also I was fascinated to read this morning that because less of us carry cash around, buskers might soon be able to get us to use our contactless cards to give them money. Not me though, I have cut up all of my contactless cards (in my view, dangerous and idiotic to have one) and have now received new ones where I have to punch in my normal 4 digits. OK, not at all perfect, but at least to get at my money the villain I hope needs to work out my 4 numbers first. A car salesman in the pub last night loudly stated that if people lose money because of a contactless cards then they deserve to lose their money and the banks should refuse to reimburse them. He wasn't a happy bunny at all, he'd already had about 6-8 pints by then and was a bit peeved that Liverpool lost their football match. The young barman was almost in tears about the result and one of the regulars said that could be one of the reasons why you are still a barman? He didn't get it but most of us oldies did.

As regards Amazon, until I think it through and how best to proceed with this company, I've closed my account down.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:52:03, 27/05/18 »
I inadvertently signed up for Prime too but immediately cancelled without any problem. I have used Amazon since and you just have to be careful working through your order not to sign up for it. It is not difficult but you have to go slow and steady. If you rush, you might miss the opt out. I think Amazon is great. It is so convenient and efficient and the ability to order stuff and get it delivered to another address is great for presents or for stuff my aged father cannot get out to buy directly. However, I think Amazon are damaging their reputation by almost tricking people into signing for Prime. They should make the opt in or out clearer.

Prime is actually incredibly fast on delivery - I used the free trial period once - but you need to be buying a lot of stuff regularly for it to be worthwhile and I suspect few of us buy enough.

Colliewobbles

« Reply #8 on: 20:20:02, 27/05/18 »
Have a read of
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/amazon-prime-refund [nofollow]

I’m sure you’ll get your money back if Prime is not for you!

Good luck  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:00:57, 27/05/18 »
Amazon Prime has been a regular subject on Rip Off Britain telly programme.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:23:22, 28/05/18 »
My 13 year old accidentally signed up for Prime as part of some inertia-marketing "free deal" on a games network called Twitch. I didn't notice for 3 months until I checked his bank account. I was quite annoyed they'd do this to kids who are not capable of handling such things IMO. They did however refund the lot with no problem, once I'd managed to work out a phone call to them.

The other downside of Amazon is their frankly dodgy returns policy. Whilst Amazon fulfilled good returns are great on short term basis, they tend to remove the returns button from old orders after a few months, where UK consumer law protects you for up to 6 years depending on the type of item.

[Rgmw]largie

« Reply #11 on: 14:42:43, 28/05/18 »
it's the delivery options screen that catches you out. You get used to the fact it's free delivery within 3/4 days and the checkout screen has " Free" next day delivery as the default option.  You're in a hurry and the total is correct on the bill so you don't read the details as carefully you should so it signs you up to Prime.

Happened to my dad but no problem cancelling and refunding the money.

Cheers

Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy