Author Topic: Mental Health and Hiking  (Read 3359 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Mental Health and Hiking
« Reply #45 on: 20:08:07, 31/08/20 »
Your comment, to me anyway, reflects what I've found throughout my work life when working with people with mental health problems. Often an individual's place in society, their political stance, their colour, their religion, their sexuality and so on can often mean a lesser service. Whereas if an individual has a physical illness (e.g. cancer, heart disease, etc) most people tend to concentrate on that, other considerations about them (their politics, colour, religion, sexuality and so on) tend to be put aside, the focus generally has the hope of cure and getting better. Mental health often has a negative judgement attached to the individual by other individuals.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 20:08:52, 31/08/20 »
My heart bleeds - He has much to be depressed about. ::)

You have no idea what it's like to be someone else or what might be the cause of his depression it could be trauma you know not or simply how his brain is wired or something else entirely.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 23:13:29, 31/08/20 »
You are right GWM, diseases of the mind are not treated with the same compassion as physical diseases, even though many mental illnesses have underlying physical causes or are caused by severe trauma. Mental illness can disable or kill someone just as easily as cancer or heart disease and strikes people from all walks of life. Unless a person has experienced this themselves or seen loved ones struggle with the consequences, they have no idea what the extent of the suffering can be. Money, possession, position, fame - none of these are a defence against mental illness.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 23:17:04, 31/08/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53757023?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health&link_location=live-reporting-story

This story shows how walking and the great outdoors (and Springer Spaniels) can positively affect a person’s mental wellbeing.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 15:58:12, 02/09/20 »
As a followup to the Alister Cambell newspaper article I saw him and his wife being interviewed this morning on TV. I was impressed with both of them but for different reasons. I'm impressed with her because she has stayed with her husband even though her husband's chronic depression has obviously made huge demands on their relationship. From what I gathered, his children 'stayed' as well. I admire him because even though he continues to suffer from these chronic issues he was still motivated to do his job and has done more besides.

I want to keep any politics about the man out of it, to me its the man himself that I find so interesting.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 17:48:37, 02/09/20 »
You can even get his book that is released tomorrow (wonder why he was on TV) must have had a lot of advanced sales as it is reduced to £12.99 from £16.99 already.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 13:56:52, 03/09/20 »
'I wonder why he was on TV?'

My view is that he's a capitalist and he earns his living from the media. He is an 'influencer' and he has a lot to 'sell,' e.g. about himself, his views on this and that (Brexit for example) his language skills, his political skills, his mental health condition and of course his family. Added together, in the Capitalist sense and in a variety of ways that 'package' is very bankable!

There are loads of other people that have these 'Unigue selling Propositions' to offer the public through the media, Andrew Neil, Piers Morgan, are just two that spring to mind. There are loads of others! Another example is Sky News, they 'buy-in' two ladies in the morning 'news' to comment on the USA, one black, (the Democrat) one white (the Republican) and they get paid to spout off (loudly!) on opposite sides of each question. They both stay in role for what they are paid to do, to 'entertain' the viewers! To me a 'nice little earner!'

To me its just Capitalism in action. I wish I had the skill to sell me to the media!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 14:01:35, 03/09/20 »
I think you might have the skill GWM you're an interesting bloke why not give it a go start with an outdoors enthusiast journalist or presenter.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 17:23:04, 03/09/20 »
Is Speakers Corner at Hyde Park Corner still gathering crowds? GWM perhaps that is a good starting point.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy