Author Topic: A good route for Pen Y Ghent ?  (Read 7536 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: A good route for Pen Y Ghent ?
« Reply #15 on: 23:08:39, 09/05/17 »
The fells are dangerously dry. If this weather keeps up we may well have a major fire soon.
Given that it is also quite windy, give some thought to what to do to avoid getting hurt in a fire. It isn't something we think of too often.
I'll pack my asbestos suit.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #16 on: 21:35:06, 10/05/17 »
Went up there today. Went from Horton station up Ingleborough today. Was a scorcher all the way up and down.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:32:11, 10/05/17 »
Went up there today. Went from Horton station up Ingleborough today. Was a scorcher all the way up and down.

Bet it was quieter today than it'll be for us on Sunday  >:(
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:25:07, 24/05/17 »
We had a great walk the other Sunday, parking in the pull-in just beyond the bend at Helwith Bridge.
Approached Pen Y Ghent from the South and then continued along to Plover Hill, sheltering behind the walls for a snack before dropping off the back and following the track anti-clockwise.
Luckily all the boggy bits had all but dried up across the top path between the summits. The path between the two tops was a lot quieter than Pen Y Ghent summit  >:( - which was heaving.

The wind was pretty gusty which I don't mind physically but I struggle to hear when there is a continuous roar like a jet engine. It also lulled us into thinking it was cooler than it really was. I didn't realise until in the car on the way home when I became aware that my face was tingling !  By the time I reached home I was a nice shade of red. Not to worry because it all peeled off a few days later.

We stopped off at Hull pot and enjoyed the chasm for a while as well as the remnants of our lunch and then headed back to Horton.
After partaking of the loos at the car park we went down to the river and followed that back to Helwith.
With a few detours the Viewranger said it was about 12 miles. It was a leisurely pace with lots of stops for photos and a lot of catching up to be done as two of our party have moved on to pastures new and we see less of each other than we used to. It took just short of 6 hours in total, but actual walking time was probably closer to 4 than 5 hours.

I'll dig the photos out and post a couple.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

photonut

« Reply #19 on: 08:46:40, 21/06/17 »
Couple of things to bear in mind.
When you get to Plover going clockwise will require more awareness and navigation, (you need a plan) anti clockwise is fairly simple path following.
To get to Plover from Peny just follow the wall, watch out for the boggy bits. (Engage brain)
Oh, and the descent from Plover is at times a bit mountain goat country..

Hi Peter,

This was one very helpful pointer last weekend.  I left Horton via the path/ track up the side of the Crown Hotel and worked my way up to Hull Pot (took a few piccies) then continued along the path to Foxup Moor to the base of Plover.  Ascending Plover was indeed mountain goat country and about half way up I entered into cloud... couldn't see my hand in front of my face at times.  After finding Plover summit I ventured onto Pen-y-Ghent... as you had indicated by following the wall and watching out for the 'frequent' boggy bits.  I needed the map and compass to find the steps over the wall mind you!!

Sadly, as I neared Pen-y-Ghent summit I didn't need anything except my ears.  There were so many people at the top... all sat in the cloud (how strange).  I passed by quickly and decided to have tea and biscuits somewhere on the descent in the sun, watching people 'huff and puff' up the southern path  :)

A very nice walk all the same despite the crowds of noisy walkers, I had managed to stay away from most of the Y3P route throughout my walk.  This was my first time up Pen-y-Ghent, but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Oh... and I also followed your guidance on car parking too  O0

Cheers
Lee

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:57:47, 21/06/17 »
If this was Saturday, then I abandoned a walk up Whernside because of the crowds.
I've seen lots of 3 peak events, but never as many as on Saturday. My usual sedate amble resulted in my standing to one side for groups of 50 at a time.
I eventually turned around and crossed over no man's land to descend. Lots of puzzled faces..
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

photonut

« Reply #21 on: 17:26:52, 21/06/17 »
If this was Saturday, then I abandoned a walk up Whernside because of the crowds.
I've seen lots of 3 peak events, but never as many as on Saturday. My usual sedate amble resulted in my standing to one side for groups of 50 at a time.
I eventually turned around and crossed over no man's land to descend. Lots of puzzled faces..

Yes it was last Saturday (17th).  I was expecting a few people but there were a lot more than I had ever imagined.  Sadly, many of them would not even make room on the path for others to pass, expecting others to move to one side off the pathway, despite them being two or three abreast.  So I understand your desire to go off-piste!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy