Author Topic: Diet, particularly the evening before exercise  (Read 2392 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Diet, particularly the evening before exercise
« Reply #15 on: 16:06:21, 24/09/19 »
Blimey, this is all so complicated!  :)

I almost always walk 5 days a week and my routine is this: one black coffee and a bowl of Frosties (with soya milk) for breakfast. Set off around 9.30. A small Hobnobs flapjack after about 30 minutes. A small banana around 11.30. If I'm walking more than about 15 miles, I'll have a second small flapjack at some point, and for a longer walk I'll sometimes have a second small banana. I have a modest lunch when I get home - usually mid-afternoon.

I don't have a big dinner, but I'll graze on biscuits, fruit, chocolate, sweets, nuts & raisins, doughnuts or whatever else is available during the evening - walk or no walk the next day.

My BMI is 19.5 (the low end of healthy) and my weight hasn't changed by more than a kg either way in 50 years.

Oh, and I drink half-a-small-bottle of cider (sometimes even a whole one!) most evenings. My favourites are Angry Orchard (very apple-y) and Thatchers Rosé (very refreshing).  :)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:30:48, 24/09/19 »
Gosh!  If I ate that amount of sugary stuff in a day I'd have raging acid indigestion/heartburn every night  ;D

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:37:36, 24/09/19 »

I got thinking about this earlier as I'm going on a bike ride with my brother at the weekend and I'll be camping the night before. Athletes are said to load up on carbs the evening before but that's for their purposes. Presumably I don't want anything "heavy" and, to my mind at least, as little carbs and fat as possible. But that leads to "well, I'll need something or I'll be knackered after a few miles"

Its too late for a proper depletion/loading diet as this should be started a week before the event.Seeing that this is a ride and not a race its best to stick to your normal diet and eat something every half hour during the ride.Carbs are the way to go and a lot of them.A high fat diet is used when conditions are cold,such as the Ran Fiennes diet used in polar conditions.This is basically soup with 55% added animal fat.I know there are various studies on the fat vs carb saga but a lot of them are flawed.In one study they had runners doing a half marathon at 90% race pace.This isn't far enough for the gylcogen stores to be depleted and the body to start burning fat/muscle.This ususally happens around the 22 mile mark or more than 2 hours of hard running.It can happen when walking but it usually takes around 8-10 hrs to kick in.It has happened to me a couple of times during fast marathons but only once when walking and I think in that case heat was also a factor.Same symptoms but a different cause.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:18:02, 24/09/19 »
I don't think I'll get anywhere near your level Tony, thankyou though  O0

Maybe I'm not doing too badly and I'm overthinking this; my diet's pretty good apart from the beer - and now that I'm making more of an effort to be active I'm already losing weight  :)  I was just hoping to boost it a bit on my little trips away if I could...... maybe being away from the biscuit tin will do that  ;D

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:34:31, 24/09/19 »
Swap the beer for a decent cider.  Part of your 5 a day, not only will it put a shine on your filings, it will keep you going through the night and into the next day.

That would keep me going all night - too the loo that is. Beer has the same effect these days.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:39:40, 24/09/19 »

That would keep me going all night - too the loo that is. Beer has the same effect these days.
  I'm the same too these days but at least you can blame the beer/cider.
If you drink scrumpy you can kid yourself that you are upping your fibre intake as well as having your 5 a day in every glass.
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:37:11, 24/09/19 »
I don't think I'll get anywhere near your level Tony, thankyou though  O0

My level? Provided you can put one foot in front of the other you are already at my level. ;D I used to be a club runner in the eighties and did a couple of years of races around 20 years ago but had to stop due to injury.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:41:37, 25/09/19 »
I do wonder whether you are overthinking things, Sleepy. Eat well if you are burning a lot of calories. Eat less on a day to day basis if you are not.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:23:45, 25/09/19 »
Provided you can put one foot in front of the other ...

I've always used that phrase to motivate folks ... If you continue to do that you'll get where you're going  ;)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:43:17, 25/09/19 »

I've always used that phrase to motivate folks ... If you continue to do that you'll get where you're going  ;)
  But you will only get where you want to be if you are pointed in the right direction.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:32:47, 25/09/19 »
Well yes, as my daughter would say ... obvs  ;D
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:45:59, 25/09/19 »
Well yes, as my daughter would say ... obvs  ;D
As we used to tell the students in the Staff College - if you don't know where you are going how, will you know when you get there?  Getting deep now - back to eating!
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:33:20, 25/09/19 »
Ha ... Were you a DS too?
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:45:04, 25/09/19 »
Guilty m'lud.  Bracknell and Shrivenham.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:30:10, 25/09/19 »
And where does one find a decent cider? ;D
Devon. Plenty on Dartmoor.   O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy