Author Topic: Best Hiking Apps?  (Read 1226 times)

eddycreative

Best Hiking Apps?
« on: 17:26:25, 27/11/20 »
Hi guys,

I've been trying to research the best hiking apps available, and thought i'd reach out here to enquire and see what everyone else uses? I've always used OS Maps, but I was reading this article: /best-hiking-apps-uk/]https://www.[spam link removed]/best-hiking-apps-uk/ [nofollow] and it mentions the following other good ones:

Komoot
AllTrails
Viewranger
Maps.me

What do you personally use?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Best Hiking Apps?
« Reply #1 on: 17:52:16, 27/11/20 »
Viewranger for me  O0

Not tried any of the others, to be honest.

..if you've had to "reach out" then move your keyboard closer  :D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:36:43, 28/11/20 »
There are so many apps to choose from in all of the categories, it can be a bit mind-boggling sorting the good ones from the rest sometimes. I will always go for the free ones first and the ones which open up instantly without asking for my username and password every time. I've tried most of the ones mentioned but over time I have gradually settled on the ones that I like best.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:32:34, 29/11/20 »
It's not an app, but I'd recommend the software for plagiarism that someone mentioned using earlier in the week.

Bourneendboy

« Reply #4 on: 22:25:48, 01/12/20 »
I use 'Map My Walk'. It's the only one I've used, but good enough for me not to look for alternatives.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:57:03, 02/12/20 »
I use 'Map My Walk'. It's the only one I've used, but good enough for me not to look for alternatives.

One of my sons recommended that to me, he uses the biking equivalent Map My Ride.
When I first looked at it I wasn't too happy with them wanting your date of birth, making you accept cookies and personalised advertising, but as it's free I'll install it and try it on my next walk. My adblocker Blokada should take care of any ads and tracking cookies, and I can always say I was born in 2002  ;) .

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:06:33, 02/12/20 »
I use to use Map my walk but for the last few months the app won't save the walk on completion.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Bourneendboy

« Reply #7 on: 22:14:02, 02/12/20 »
I use to use Map my walk but for the last few months the app won't save the walk on completion.

I'm finding the saving is taking a long time, by that I mean you press to save and then it appears in your workouts a few hours later rather than instantly.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:48:23, 03/12/20 »

I'm finding the saving is taking a long time, by that I mean you press to save and then it appears in your workouts a few hours later rather than instantly.

They never appear in my workout and don't show as waiting to be loaded. Just vanish into the ether
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:46:09, 03/12/20 »
I think I've tried out most apps of this type, I've personally settled on Wikiloc.

Lee R

« Reply #10 on: 21:32:30, 05/12/20 »
I only really use OS Maps aside from some weather ones to check clouds/fog/etc but that's more for planning the photography than the actual walking.

I do have Map my Run but don't use it much now. It was good for keeping a track of mileage etc but I found on longer walks it would eat the battery quite a lot!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy