Author Topic: OS online maps becoming unusable  (Read 3166 times)

Roburite

OS online maps becoming unusable
« on: 12:38:58, 03/12/20 »
When I moved to North Devon I quickly did most of the obvious walks then started using OS maps online to discover new, less obvious, walks. It was very useful and led me to explore more of the inland region. However as time has gone on "Discover a Route" has become much less usable. I have two gripes about it.First. It is possible to plot and record your own route and make it public. Years ago, when the mapping was new a few would pop up when you searched for non-premium routes but now everyone is at it. I have even done it myself. Look at a honeypot area and you will find a whole gamut of markers showing the same route put there by different people. Usually there is a slight difference in the starting point; like the other side of a carpark! The whole lot need editing or curating.Second. This is related but I'd like your help to find out whether this is widespread.
I'm going to try to insert a screenshot here to illustrate the issue.
I chose a random area in Devon and in "Discover a Route" I unticked Premier Routes. The numbers on the red circles show how many published routes there. Those with 4 or more are mostly iterations of the same straight line of less than one mile. The thumbnails on the left of the picture show some of them. This is very frustrating. If you see a cluster you imagine there must be walks there but there aren't. Just these darn lines.
Now, are you finding the same things in your own parts of the country and does anyone know what they are?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: OS online maps becoming unusable
« Reply #1 on: 12:52:33, 03/12/20 »
There is so much choice online for OS maps.. Not sure which one you use.  I would suggest you move to a different site if you have issues with the current one.  I use Walking Highlands mostly. The interface is wonderfully primitive and free of such clutter.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:01:50, 03/12/20 »
I signed up to the OS map premium service a few months ago and an completely underwhelmed by it. It is clunky to use, exports gpx files as routes not tracks, printing a route map is a horrible experience.
I will not renew.
I generally use Tracklogs ( no longer available) which is  really user friendly and  intuitive.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:17:11, 03/12/20 »
I use Wikiloc, it just shows 'satellite view' and the route is colour highlighted.

Roburite

« Reply #4 on: 13:20:18, 03/12/20 »
I'm talking about Ordnance Survey's own online maps. I wouldn't expect these issues to occur with other platforms. https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:49:11, 03/12/20 »

I agree with you , in that there are way too many routes marked up , especially at popular places. I tried to narrow things down by filtering routes down to mileages I prefered and only walking routes but at times it was hard to see clearly where the routes start and where they  go to unless you keep zooming in and then back out...it is a pain.

I stopped paying for OS mapping because I didn`t think it worth £25 per year any more... .and now use the walklakes app to plot routes in conjunction with basecamp and my etrex gps.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:05:35, 03/12/20 »
Since acquiring my Satmap gps I have subscribed to xpedition2 - find it great for plotting routes.  I rarely use other people's plotted walks - I quite enjoy planning myself.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #7 on: 16:36:56, 03/12/20 »
Use OS maps to plot my own routes, calculate the distance, and to check my location when I'm in unfamiliar places and unsure of my navigation. I make a lot of use of it and think it's well worth the money. Dave

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:10:00, 03/12/20 »
Use OS maps to plot my own routes, calculate the distance, and to check my location when I'm in unfamiliar places and unsure of my navigation. I make a lot of use of it and think it's well worth the money. Dave
I also make a lot of use of OS Maps and think it money well spent. I plot my routes and copy them to my SatMap 20. I've never been interested in trying someone else's routes.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

rambling oldie

« Reply #9 on: 09:40:56, 04/12/20 »
I started with Anquet a few years ago but now use OS Maps.  I find it excellent for plotting my own routes, printing them out and have recently gone over to the dark side of the force and while walking check my position and measure the route by gps on my phone.  I'm sure that every route I plot has already been done similarly by someone else as there is a certain obviousness when joining up rights of way.  But I don't claim mine are any better, it's just a very satisfying exercise/hobby.
The one problem I have is that routes recorded live then saved on my phone are supposed to automatically sync with the main web subscription and appear when I log on to my home pc.  This hasn't happened for many months and repeated queries with OS have got me nowhere.
Still, I'm otherwise very satisfied with OS maps and consider it money well spent. Indeed, hours of fun!  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:00:13, 04/12/20 »

The main reason I used to look at routes already plotted on OS mapping , was to read any notes made , by the originator of them and to see how many stars were given by others.

If popular then I would start looking closer at the area and plot my own. I absolutely agree plotting the routes is half the fun and still do that now albeit on the Walklakes app , which is free to use and shows Ordnance Survey mapping in fine detail . A lot is learned about what to expect by plotting them . The satisfaction it gives is great , and sets me up for the walk itself .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:30:31, 04/12/20 »

The main reason I used to look at routes already plotted on OS mapping , was to read any notes made , by the originator of them and to see how many stars were given by others.

Yes..I agree with others that there are only so many ways footpaths in an area can be joined up...but there are things that local knowledge can impart that’s difficult or impossible to discern from map.

For example, on “my” side of town you almost need a death wish to walk most of the “yellow” (minor) roads, on other side of the town, far less motor traffic on them.

Eyelet

« Reply #12 on: 16:00:35, 23/12/20 »
Now, are you finding the same things in your own parts of the country and does anyone know what they are?

The problem with uncurated route sharing sites like OS, there are no quality controls on what people can and do upload. If some one plots a route that takes you straight over an 80m cliff such as Malham Cove or Cheddar Gorge, the website will show that route, however implausible or suicidal.

The routes in OS you have highlighted such as "191-012" are simply two waypoints connected by a straight line. Presumably someone (possibly a 4x4 off-roader?) was doing some route planning which involved flagging likely sections of PROWs to link up and made these Public rather than Private. Not only that, they managed to upload them multiple times!

While there are plenty of uploaded routes containing unedited multipath and masking errors, spurs and point clouds, I haven't come across these two-waypoint routes in my areas of interest on the OS site. However any uncurated GPX routes you download from any site should be treated with caution and carefully checked, just as if someone you don't know drew a line on a map and told you to follow it!
« Last Edit: 17:29:02, 23/12/20 by Eyelet »

Roburite

« Reply #13 on: 17:34:06, 23/12/20 »
Thanks for all your replies.I'm afraid that I'm no nearer understanding those short straight lines. I wish Eyelet was correct but many of the lines don't connect to any road or right of way. I wrote to customer services at OS and had this reply."I have passed these issues on to the technical team. Both the app and online versions are getting version 3 sometime in January and a lot of this sort of thing should be fixed then. If you can wait until the new releases and get back to me if the problem persists."I agree with several of you that OS mapping is money well spent but I have been considering moving to a different platform which also offers OS and is curated. ViewRanger looked like the best option but the question is; will it change now it has merged with Outdooractive? Will I be able to print out sections of OS maps using VR?I think I will wait until January to see what OSv3 is like(What's the bet that the new version arrives late?)

Pyramut

« Reply #14 on: 18:34:49, 23/12/20 »
I like using os maps, especially the “snap to fit” paths in nationals parks, although frustratingly you can’t do this in the app. There’s lots of irritating things about the app (especially on iPhones) but it’s just easy to have access to all the maps in one go, paying the subscription. I’ve tried to use free open source topological maps but the quality generally isn’t there.

So interested to hear what you think of ViewFinder when you use it, as I would like to use os maps in a better app!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy