Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276029 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #735 on: 23:07:12, 01/05/19 »
Just back from a walk with MrsG through our favourite Bluebell wood up near Burrator on Dartmoor. 

A few quick snap shots from my phone.  Hope you enjoy them.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #736 on: 00:01:38, 02/05/19 »
Nice bluebells BuzyG  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #737 on: 08:18:21, 02/05/19 »
Lovely bluebell photos BuzyG     :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #738 on: 10:23:38, 02/05/19 »
Walking in Malta. The land of forum member Kukudrill.
Today walking from Golden Bay to the high cliffs on the other side of Gnejna bay and back. Passing at least two ancient watch towers  and various reminders of WW2 anti aircraft and radar sites

The wild flowers are a huge joy.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #739 on: 19:28:32, 06/05/19 »
I went a walk in the Kent Weald today, from Tunbridge Wells via Groombridge and Speldhurst.  A scenic walk, with towering sandstone outcrops, and beautiful woodlands carpeted with bluebells and masses of wild garlic.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #740 on: 23:00:35, 06/05/19 »
Short walk today up to Sharp tor on Bodmin moor, where I then sat for 3 hours on a ledge, with a flask of tea and some cheese and crackers, simply relaxing and enjoying the amazing view. 

The visibility this weekend has been so clear. With my binoculars I could clearly see the light house on Lundy Island 72km away.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #741 on: 11:36:10, 07/05/19 »
Did a 7 mile circular, yesterday, just west of Four Crosses, Llandysilio. It must be over 10 years since we had walked in this area and the road improvements had altered things a bit, resulting in a quiet cul de sac to park in beside an underpass to cross the A483. We started walking south along the Montgomery Canal, but this does not link into other footpaths like normal canals, so a hairy barewire encounter was needed to access a bridge. It was some miles before we found a way marker, a farmer setting up a state of the art clay pidgeon thrower, pointed out the direction for Deuddwr correcting my pronunciation to Doowthar, surprisingly we stayed very close to the righteous way, quite unintentionally as the area is well blessed with them. It is that they are not marked or furnished and hedges appear to be allowed to grow over those places not provided with gates(plenty of these).

Altogether a lovely area to explore, got back on the canal near the Llanymynech aqueduct crossing the River Vyrnwy and my back just lasted out the last mile, a quiet sit down by last canal bridge eased of the damaged done by swinging over undulating barbed wire suspended by lively creeking posts.  ;D

Enjoyed a couple of pints of Black Sheep with a weekday Sunday roast in the Bradford Arms, Llanymynech, happily surprised that it was a bank holiday and we had not met another walker, except one lone trekker doing Offa's Dyke Trail on the canal footpath. (+ a few dogs accompanied)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #742 on: 19:36:14, 27/05/19 »
I walked today from Steyning to Bramber via Findon, taking in the hillforts of Cissbury Ring and Chanctonbury Ring and some of the Monarch's Way and some of the South Downs Way.  A 14-mile walk, with masses of wild flowers to see, and it didn't rain    :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #743 on: 15:44:20, 28/05/19 »
Got the train to Hebden Bridge and walked up to Stoodley Pike and then back down along the Pennine Way to Top Withins where I took the Bronte Way into Haworth to spend the night. Just over 19 miles. 

Tomorrow I’ll rejoin the Pennine Way and walk to Gargrave then get the train home.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #744 on: 16:43:25, 28/05/19 »
The weather forecast indicated SE Devon was a good idea today so we planned a route from Tipton St John going out to the commons to the West then back over the Otter to the ridge to the East. On paper the route was a mix of byways, bridleways and footpaths with a smattering of lanes. Quite a disappointing walk really. The second byway we used was flooded across its entire width to more than boot depth so we backtracked and went for plan B. After the crossing of the Otter, the footpath on the map died so we had to backtrack again for Plan C. We met the farmer on the way along Plan C who said that the offending footpath was there but it didn’t “go”. I showed her the rest of the route; her “Good luck with that” wasn’t encouraging and sure enough the penultimate byway was more assault course than right of way but it did seem to be maintained for the entertainment of off road bikers.

The other disappointment was a lot of the walking is a bit like the Chilterns, being only semi rural with posh (and not so posh) houses dotted along the tracks.  A lot of the byways had enough loose rough rock to do credit to an alpine trail which my fasciitis did not appreciate.  A 2 star walk at best.  The pub grub in the Golden Lion was good though. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #745 on: 09:26:50, 30/05/19 »

The weather forecast was right ( I stomping about in wind driven murk and rain on Dartmoor) but seems that was about all that was right.
I know that some of the path along the east side of the R Otter north of Tipton Mill hasn't been walkable/there for some years. It got washed away in floods and, as I understand it, the land owner won't allow any reinstatement - though it didn't really 'go' even before the floods. We've tried all the paths that link down from the Wiggaton road and they just stop near the river.
Where did you find a flooded byway?
I would be very interested to see your route, particularly if it is on Viewranger which I am currently learning to use.[/color]  

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #746 on: 09:51:42, 30/05/19 »
https://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA2ODY4MTQ=
The flooded byway is the dead end trace SW of Venn Ottery. There were 2 sections in succession, we squeezed by the first on the edge on tippy toe in the nettles but the second beat us.  The path that didn’t seem to go is N of the Mill, see dead end trace.  The plan has to go a bit further upstream and then E to the road. The assault course byway is the section from the bend in the lane on up towards the W of Hollow Head Cross (mid point of the NS leg to the E of Tipton). I have looked at circular routes from Tipton based on using both sides of the Otter but nothing seems to work without awkward detours “inland”. Out and back routes are feasible but not as satisfying. A narrower loop out to Aylesbeare Common is a goer but I have done the Commons before.
« Last Edit: 09:54:57, 30/05/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #747 on: 12:13:32, 30/05/19 »

Thank you for the viewranger track. Is there any way I can download onto my phone?
As you found out there is no path on the east side of the river running north and hasn't been for many years - about time the OS took it off the map.
I don't think I've ever walked that flooded byway. There's what looks, on the OS, like a track between fields just to the south of it which has a stream running down it.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #748 on: 12:30:50, 30/05/19 »
In retrospect that flooded byway is even flooded on GoogleEarth if you look very carefully and there is a pond in the field adjacent to it which should have been a clue - I am just used to byways normally being passable.  If you want the track as a route its shortcode is Nthce0357
The track link you have.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #749 on: 20:20:47, 03/06/19 »
I went a walk from Cowfold in Sussex today, in an area where the Low Weald merges with the High Weald.  A walk through beautiful gently rolling countryside, with ghyll woodland and masses of buttercups.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy