Author Topic: Tyndrum/Crianlarich lower level walks  (Read 4189 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Tyndrum/Crianlarich lower level walks
« on: 19:41:42, 29/10/18 »
I'm thinking of walking SW highlands next year. I only climb mountains on sunny days. On cloudy days I walk valleys. So, if I get lucky, Ben More/Stob Binnein/ben lui/beinn dorain would be my target. Plan B would be part of the WHW. Sometimes if weather is changeable I would target a mountain of a lower level height which can be gained in an afternoon or morning. When I'm in the lakes, Walla crag, Helm crag, Wansfell, loughrigg fell, carron crag would fall into this category. I'm slightly worried that such a walk doesn't exist in SW Scotland. Am I wrong? Alternatively, does anyone know of a mountain which could be summitted in part of a day? I could stay in Arrochar, Glencoe or Fortwilliam if needs be. Thanks, Henry

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Tyndrum/Crianlarich lower level walks
« Reply #1 on: 21:38:14, 29/10/18 »

You could look at the Walk Highlands website which should give you some ideas for the kind of thing you are looking for.  There is a very good walks section which you can search by area.
Thinking of low level walks, there's a nice round starting in Glencoe, walking the Lairig Gartain and Lairig Eilde (not sure if I've spelt those right)
Or, as you say, you could do bits of the WHW or the Great Glen Way using the bus to get back to your accommodation.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:51:49, 29/10/18 »
There is loads of options, I'm a bit pushed for time tonight I'll post again later in the week.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:56:40, 30/10/18 »
Thanks for the feedback folks O0

Oldtramp

« Reply #4 on: 08:44:19, 31/10/18 »
Walk sections of the West Highland Way, using the bus to train to return to your starting point at e.g Tyndrum.  You can easily carve the stretch from the top of Loch Lomond to Fort William into 4-5 good day walks, and only the Devil's Staircase, from Glencoe to Kinlochleven goes high.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:25:01, 02/11/18 »
If you're staying at Crianlarich, as well as Ben More and Stob Binnein there's Cruach Ardrain (1046m) and Beinn Tulaichean (946m) these two are separated from Ben More and Stob Binnein by the steep sided Inverlochlarig Glen which links glen Benmore with Inverlocharig (site of Rob Roy's house). To the west of Beinn Tulaichean is Beinn a Chroin (940m) well worth a visit.
To the north of the River Dochart is a huge area of quite wild land with several munro's, some can be done from the Crianlarich side other are best approached from Glen Lochay or Glen Lyon on the north-east side.
East of Crianlarich is the village of Killin, which would also make a good base. This give access to the Ben Lawers and Tarmachan group of hills with loads of hills to walk.
For low level walks there's a disused railway line from callander to the head of Glen Ogle with a branch line to Killin this can be used to link into various forest walks all along this route to make up circular walks. Between the villages of Balquidder and Brig o Turk is an old drover's road which is a lovely route with patches of very ancient forest. You can either walk right through or use Glen Finglas to make a round trip. The forest to the west of Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy also has some lovely walks.     

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:59:55, 04/11/18 »
Thanks guys O0
Owen - I've decided to stay in Crianlarich and I love a walk from the doorstep without transport. Out of Ben More/Stob Binnein (1), Cruach Ardain (2) and An Caisteal/Beinn a Chroin (3) can I ask what your favourite walk would be? I don't have a head for heights so rock climbing and narrow ridges I would have to avoid. Are these summits accessible for walkers? Thanks, Henry

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:38:39, 04/11/18 »
I did your option 3 a few years ago and didn’t find anything that a walker would find difficult. I haven’t climbed the other two. If I recall correctly, we drove down from Aberdeen, climbed the 2 Munros and then drove back, having some truly horrible fish and chips in Laurencekirk on the return journey. The walk itself was enjoyable. I remember lying down on the sunny mountainside next to a large snow patch. I doubt the snow patch is there in the summer these days.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:39:46, 04/11/18 »
If you're staying in Crianlarich and looking for a low level walk I would think about getting the bus/train to Bridge of Orchy and follow the West Highland Way path back through Tyndrum and towards Inverarnan. After you drop down through the forest after Tyndrum you'll see the signs pointing down to Crianlarich.

The walk between Bridge of Orchy and Tyndrum is reasonably flat and scenic and one of my favourite bits of the WHW (if it's a good day)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:11:58, 04/11/18 »
HenryB  -  The big mountains, Ben More, etc, mentioned that you might do during your holiday are
quite long day outs and are serious hills. The weather can change quite dramatically in the Scottish mountains so it might not be sunny and fine weather on the tops or on the way back.
Assume your navigation skills are good. Have a great time among some fantastic hills.
I can second the walks mentioned by Bricam...........great scenery!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:24:59, 04/11/18 »
Thanks guys O0
Owen - I've decided to stay in Crianlarich and I love a walk from the doorstep without transport. Out of Ben More/Stob Binnein (1), Cruach Ardain (2) and An Caisteal/Beinn a Chroin (3) can I ask what your favourite walk would be? I don't have a head for heights so rock climbing and narrow ridges I would have to avoid. Are these summits accessible for walkers? Thanks, Henry

My favorite would probably be Cruach Ardrain, you can walk it without using your hands. Go through the forest to the south of the village head for "Grey Heights 686m" Grid NN 394227, from there is a good path which skirts around all the rocky bits. The ridge between Stob Garbh Grid NN 413222 and Cruach Ardain does have a scrambling section. 
Going from Ben More to Stob Binnein there is a rock steep a few hundred meters south the summit of Ben More it's a couple of metres high. You can get around it either side by going right over to the edge of the ridge. The rest of the walk is straight forward. 

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:05:21, 06/11/18 »
Thanks for the feedback guys O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy