Author Topic: Two day walk in the western lakes. advice on winter wild camping.  (Read 757 times)

Mr Sam

On Friday I'm plan to go from Ennerdale Bridge to Keswick via HayStacks and Long moss.
What sort of conditions can I expect and precautions would you advise me in taking. I have done a bit of winter camping before but not this low a temperature.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
I'd expect the ground to be well frozen, which might pose a challenge to getting tent pegs in.  Current conditions, which may well still be around on Friday are icy patches but little snow. Temperatures on the summits are currently higher than those in the valleys, though this would even up somewhat at nightime.  You might be very lucky and get some temperature inversion/cloud sea conditions which could be quite fab.
The Lake Distrcit weatherline is not recommending full winter equipment, but is rather talking about wearing warm clothing!
As there's a lot more darkness than daylight just now, you might consider addtional lighting and some form of in-tent entertainment for the long night. And, possibly a hot water bottle. (Well, it works for me!)
I'm off to the Lakes in the morning to catch some of the superb conditions there at the moment....  If this lasts - and I think it will, you'll have a really memorable trip, Sam. Take the camera!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy