Author Topic: Trip Reports, a North Dartmoor trio  (Read 1312 times)

thomasdevon

Trip Reports, a North Dartmoor trio
« on: 18:25:11, 12/05/13 »
Had a bit of leisure time lately so have managed another three healthy treks in the north moor - Hangingstone Hill from Belstone (twice), and Dinger Tor from Belstone last Friday.

Ground conditions generally pretty firm. Hangingstone is a wonderful destination but I wish there was a tor up there, it might at least mask the Army's OP. The trackway up from the north gives a direct approach and not too steep until the last 1/2 mile but the roadstone used in places is sharp on the feet. Saw many groups of cheery young people out practicing for the Ten Tors: a couple of them even called me 'Sir' as we exchanged 'good morning'.

Dinger was a bit of a trial - fiercely windy all day, Yes Tor and High Willhays cloaked in cloud the whole time I was up on the tops - couldn't see a damn thing. If this is the roof of Devon, I must have been trying to look down the chimneys!

Route out was straightforward, trackways all the way from Belstone, past Watchet Hill - across Cullever Steps - past Row Tor, W Mill Tor, to Yes Tor, then S along the ridgeline to Dinger. Back again along military roads over New Bridge to Cullever again. I am now very much disliking these military tracks, they are hard as the knobs of hell - though they would make good 'escape' routes if cutting a trek short.

I have a plan to reach Fur Tor from Belstone and back in a day, now that we have more daylight hours and hopefully dry underfoot. Should be weekend after next barring accidents. Hope I can make it.

Tassimo

Re: Trip Reports, a North Dartmoor trio
« Reply #1 on: 18:34:46, 12/05/13 »
I love Dinger Tor - one of my favourites. I also take the route (roughly) that you take. Good walk for a windy day  O0 

Kiss my coochy woochy derriere - for all you crazies out there!

mark pb

Re: Trip Reports, a North Dartmoor trio
« Reply #2 on: 01:06:25, 13/05/13 »
Sounds like you had a good couple of days Thomas.
Good luck with your walk to Fur Tor - I think that it is one of my favourite places on Dartmoor. I'm sure you'll think it's worth the walk!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy