Author Topic: Is it just bad manners?  (Read 2918 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Is it just bad manners?
« Reply #30 on: 00:38:14, 29/06/19 »
If you're worried about the light being reflected back at you from mirrored glasses think about why the person hasn't taken them off.. if the reflection is blinding you they are going to blind themselves by removing them.

I wear my sunglasses anytime it's sunny, mostly for eye health. I have no issue if people don't remove them when talking, there are other ways you can tell a person is interested and paying attention

I didn't say it blinded me, just that I found it uncomfortable, by which I meant disquieting not physically uncomfortable, not to be able see someone's eyes when talking to them.
From the answers to my earlier question it would seem that the mirroring is not necessary for the glasses to be effective in guarding the eyes from the harmful rays of sunlight. I think they are an affectation.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 06:23:35, 29/06/19 »
Mirrored sunglasses are not necessarily  an affectation. They reduce the amount of light and especially uv light hitting the eyes which can alleviate/avoid certain conditions and can be prescribed by opticians.
Wearing glasses of any sort is never bad manners in my book.Live and let live. Times change, fashions change, definition of manners change. I.e. how many men lift their hats to ladies nowadays.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #32 on: 08:23:27, 29/06/19 »
Mine are react to light prescription glasses, in bright conditions they turn almost like welding goggles darkness but i need that due to the brightness affecting my eyes. also if i took my glasses off to say hi and chat with someone i wouldn't be able to see their faces nevermind their facial expressions, unless we were saying hello the eskimo way! For some people its not been ignorant its just the way it is. Whilst out last weekend up grindsbrook clough everyone was polite and saying hello but once up on kinder with the throngs most people even avoided looking, nevermind saying hi. To me it seemed those who wore the right walking gear along with a good rucksack took the time to smile and say hi and have a quick chat but those in adidas trainers and super cool outfits were just plain ignorant!
"if in doubt, flat out"

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:25:27, 29/06/19 »
I.e. how many men lift their hats to ladies nowadays.
I often doff my Tilley when greeting lady walkers.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:30:27, 29/06/19 »

Are you sure that's legal :o

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 10:05:14, 29/06/19 »
Isn’t that sexist behaviour nowadays?  ;D

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:35:09, 29/06/19 »
Is that a euphamism?  ;D ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:15:24, 29/06/19 »

I've heard it called some things in my time...but never that! :o :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:51:37, 29/06/19 »
Some of us are still gentlemen!  :)
I presume the gents in here also stand up when a lady enters the room or joins the group?
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:54:12, 29/06/19 »
Isn’t that sexist behaviour nowadays?  ;D
No it is sexual discrimination, it means I can still tell the difference  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 13:38:53, 29/06/19 »
I went to the pub last night. Surprised? Anyway, I met and chatted to some Portsmouth University students and managed to ask them what they thought of dark and/or mirrored sunglasses. I was surprised to find that out of the 5, three men and two women, it was the two women that claimed they didn't like it, one man said he'd never given it a thought and two were just half and half about it. The best moment came when one of the women, (a psychology student) said, with a twinkle in her eye and a grin, (perfect teeth!)that dark glasses could be interpreted as the equivalent of a western Burka! That bought about one of those, "I must put my thinking cap on' moments for us all. We then all had another drink! One of the men was interesting in that he was a white Zimbabwean, his parent farmers decided to stay, he was born 21 years ago and it all worked out for them.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 15:33:52, 29/06/19 »
I presume the gents in here also stand up when a lady enters the room or joins the group?
Or even might walk on the outside of the pavement to let a lady pass on the inside!  :)

I'm glad that the OP's psychology student mentioned that, which I thought best not to put on a post :D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 16:46:22, 29/06/19 »

and the ladies drop him a demure curtsey (my****)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:49:03, 29/06/19 »

and the ladies drop him a demure curtsey (my****)
Actually most times it is like wetting yourself in dark suit.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 11:30:37, 30/06/19 »
We all wore sunglasses on our walk yesterday and nobody batted an eyelid....

..... at least I don't think they did - couldn't see their eyes  :D

Saw a lot of Posing Pillocks in their mirrored glasses though - glasses perched on the top of their heads rather than protecting their eyes.  Nuff said..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy