Author Topic: Coast to coast falling into disrepair  (Read 2612 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Coast to coast falling into disrepair
« on: 22:48:02, 18/03/16 »
There's an article in today's Times about the Coast to Coast path falling into disrepair,and parts of it are unsafe. It particularly mentions Nine Standards. I guess the fact that it's one of our most popular long distance paths but isn't actually a National Trail means it gets less funding.

ron6632

Re: Coast to coast falling into disrepair
« Reply #1 on: 09:03:27, 19/03/16 »
Although it goes against AW original intentions, is not about time that the C2C was put under the custody of the National Trails?  Then at least there would be a guaranteed level of investment in maintenance and infrastructure, including a properly way marked route.  It certainly wouldn't stop those who wanted to walk alternative routes at certain places.  The fact that it is so popular surely makes it inevitable that it becomes part of the National Trail network.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:18:12, 29/03/16 »
I read an article on this subject in one of the tabloids last week. It was, I thought, a bit thin on detail and had the feel of a column filler.
I did the last of my four crossings to date in August 2013 so it is a while ago but I did not notice any massive environmental damage overall and certainly none that, of itself, made the walk more unsafe than it could be ( like any upland walk) in bad weather.
The Nine Standards section may be a slight exception as the peat bog does look rather dog eared for a couple of miles south and east of the stones. The Pennine Way solution would be flag stones. The PW bog is much more extensive than Nine Standards and in a way the C2C would lose a moderately challenging part if flags were laid ( and it has less than the PW to my mind).
I quite like the fact that the C2C has few formal waymarks (although the impromptu Farmers versions are of variable quality). Obviously this would change with NT status.
Has it really deteriorated lately or is it just a bit of hype?

John

sjwato

« Reply #3 on: 18:45:48, 29/03/16 »
There is a crowd-sourcing appeal by the North Pennines AONB, in collaboration with the Friends of the North Pennines. They aim to raise £27,000 to repair and improve part of Alfred Wainwright's Coast to Coast walking route in the area of Nine Standards Rigg.

Details at: http://www.northpennines.org.uk/Pages/raisingthestandard.aspx [nofollow]

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 14:45:04, 05/04/16 »
 I have walked it. I recall the reason it is not accepted as a National Trail (NT) is that the route is not secured as some of it is not public rights of way(PROW). AW's route certainly uses land not PROW, this is acknowledged in the amended guide. I think the NT issue is not pushed as the Coast to Coast route is popular and possible for large numbers without the costly administrative business of negotiating changes, variations and the inclusion of the permissive paths used.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:10:08, 05/04/16 »
I like the fact that it's not a National Trail as people would just walk the designated route and miss out on the fantastic scenery that can be had my going slightly off route now and again, especially in the Lakes.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 16:24:51, 05/04/16 »
Agreed bricam, I think AW makes the point his route is a C to C not the C to C and encourages variants.

Robnolan

« Reply #7 on: 08:23:33, 05/05/16 »
Im making a site visit to Nine Standards on Tuesday with the BMC Access Conservation Trust (aka Mend Our Mountains).

It will be interesting to see how the North Pennines AONB intend to repair the path.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy