Author Topic: Recomendations needed for birthday weekend!  (Read 2507 times)

suzy

Recomendations needed for birthday weekend!
« on: 13:09:04, 03/03/08 »
Hi there, I was wondering if any of you kind people might be able to help? As part of my rapidly approaching 30th birthday celebrations I have booked a weekend in a youth hostel bunkhouse in the village of Sheen (close to Hartington and Hulme End) in the White Peaks. I have recently relocated to Manchester from Aberdeenshire so am not all that familiar with this part of the world. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could recommend a few good circular walks in that area, something in the region of perhaps say 10 miles? Also any good pub recommendation are always welcome...it is my birthday of course!  ::)Thank you!

wellerchap

Re: Recomendations needed for birthday weekend!
« Reply #1 on: 21:05:31, 03/03/08 »
Hi Suzy,
welcome to the site, and good luck for your birthday....a mere spring chicken still, eh?!!
I typed Harting Walks into Google & instantly came up with this http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/hartingtonwalk.htm ...why not drop the other place names into Google & see what it comes up with?
Happy birthday, when it comes!  :)

SimonF

« Reply #2 on: 13:48:04, 10/03/08 »
Hi Suzy

Only just joined the forum myself and noticed your post
as this is "my " area of the peak , as I m only 15 or so miles away.

In short, the path which follows the Dove from Hartington is
excellent but very popular. Hartington itself is quite touristy
but where your going is much more off the beaten track

I would recommend the hills known as the Reef Knolls which
were opened up when "right to roam" arrived. You can do these from Sheen
or the larger village of Longnor nearby ( this is where the Medical Drama Peak Practice
was filmed by the way ! )

Some good pubs round here, dont know the one at sheen but the Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale is good if you like trad ,as its basically part of a farm

hope this starts to give you some ideas. I will have a think and post again when Ive got more time if it helps. How long have I got til " D-Day " ?

suzy

« Reply #3 on: 16:38:08, 10/03/08 »
Aww, that's really helpful, thanks guys! We will be staying there over the Easter weekend, so it's still a couple of weeks away yet, keeping fingers crossed for some good weather. Thanks,will check out  Reef Knolls on the map, it sounds good!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy