Author Topic: Stanton & Harthill Moor - Trip Report  (Read 10481 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Stanton & Harthill Moor - Trip Report
« on: 22:10:17, 29/04/07 »
From the walk a friend and I took yesterday.

Weather was absolutely gorgeous, nice and warm with a gentle to stiff breeze for those cooling off moments. 7.1 miles according to the GPS. Took us around 3 hours. A bit of a dawdle really and there's plenty to see.

Stanton Moor wasn't as busy I expected, Harthill Moor was however, as it was full of organised schools walk, so crammed with teenagers who were all carrying so much kit (80L+ packs) I thought they'd brought the school with them. Stanton Moor was a little easy as it's a level plateau, Harthill moor and the surroundings was more challenging as the terrain is more varied. A good walk though and not a bad one for anyone wanting some long views and quite a few interesting things to see.

We start at Birchover Village (SK 23793 62165) which is a bit painful to park in, but has a shop and two pubs (which is always welcome). As this walk was in two halves we decided to do the Eastern part first, which takes us to Stanton Moor.

After walking along a road we entered the moor at SK24545 62528 next to an active quarry. Stanton Moor has many many un-marked paths so it's a bit of a challenge navigating. We took the obvious route up and then headed west towards the Cork Stone. Obviously this been used for climbing up for years, we didn't attempt it, but plenty have!

From here we took the Northern path where you can see a cairn and trig point (323) to the right. Partway up this path is the worlds most laid back tree (tm) and a dis-used quarry to the left. Eventually you come to the edge of the moor and head East to the Nine Ladies stone circle. There's plenty of active quarrying but thankfully not near the stone circle itself. After tutting about using an ancient monument as a back rest and sun trap we headed south past the watch tower, which was sadly bricked up we couldn't go inside. A quick pit stop later on a bluff overlooking Darley Dale and Rowsley we headed back to the car for a proper refuelling.

We then headed West towards Harthill Moor and the less well known and unnamed stone circle. For this you head west out of Birchover and eventually join the Lime Stone Way at SK 22848 61840. The route is fairly obvious and you head north/nor west passing Robins Hood Stride and the Hermit Cave (a nice place for a snack, which we made use of the return).

You then approach the stone circle which does require straying from the path but is worth the diversion as these stones are much bigger than the Nine Ladies (even if most of them are now sadly missing).

Rejoing the Limestone way we followed a route around the back of Harthill Moor Farm to see the Castle Ring. This is mainly out of bounds (with many helpful signs from the farmer letting you know this), the only things to see are the defensive ditch and a dry stone wall where the original pallisade would have stood.

Then it's a gentle amble through a nice bluebell wood (lots out as well) to re-trace the route back to Birchover.

A nice and not overly challenging walk. We even got called speeders by some of the other groups out, but as we sat back at the car drinking tea (to many envious glancers and comments from the other walkers) it was worth it.

Oh and yes... I'm sure in a few weeks my neck won't resemble a red ferrari and give off less heat than a fire. Next time SPF 15 will not be far away.

Enjoy the pictures.
© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:32:08, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: Stanton & Harthill Moor - Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: 23:56:58, 29/04/07 »
Nice pic we just come back from Edale done about 14 mile or so (dog just crashed out.) weather was great warm but windy.  We went up Harden clough and over to Rush up hill than to Kinder scout and back down to Edale.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:36:51, 30/04/07 »
We're doing Castleton a week on Friday. Up Lose Hill and around Mam Tor. Edale not long after that, should keep us busy for a while.

10-15 is what we normally do, but been doing more "oh that looks interesting" kind of walks / dawdles lately.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:45:24, 01/05/07 »
Route Map, with thanks to the OS ofcourse.

Reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, © Crown copyright.
« Last Edit: 21:57:31, 05/06/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

titaniumdude

« Reply #4 on: 23:43:07, 01/05/07 »
Cheers for this.  Looks like an interesting route.  Will probably give this a go in a couple of weekends time.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:25:53, 02/05/07 »
Fantastic report, Dazza, I've had to read it several times to digest it all ...

There seems to have been so much to stop and admire, obviously I like the stone circles, though I must confess to thinking you were the one using the stone as a back rest! I should've known better  :o

I'm wondering if I can get the Missus to drive me up to the Peaks sometime, drop the kids at their Nanas, but she still sceptical about hiking and is unsure about at what part she's supposed to start enjoying it  ::)

How did you copy the map and get the doody graphic on it, looks longer than 7.1 miles??

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:36:13, 05/05/07 »
Thanks, it was an interesting and pretty easy route. No real climbs (although the walk upto  Robin Hoods Stride gets the blood pumping a bit). Plus a Pub that welcomes walkers and a small shop in the center of town for when you've finished.

The route was done using Memory Map (expensive but worth it, unless you want all the maps in which case it's incredibly expensive). The route itself is a tidied up version of the route from the Pocket PC version of memory map. Basically I imported the route into the PC version of MM and pressed print screen, the a bit of cropping an resizing in Photoshop to get it to fit on the forum and voila.
Dazza
--------

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:52:21, 05/05/07 »
Cheers

Really good route report and great pics

hope the neck gets better ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 01:01:16, 06/05/07 »
Cheers

Really good route report and great pics

hope the neck gets better ;)

Thanks. Hopefully the first of many.

Yeah it's fine now. Sun block needed for the next one.
Dazza
--------

twiglegs

« Reply #9 on: 20:20:27, 20/07/08 »
Just for your info the un-named circle by robinhoods stride is known as 'nine stones close' and also the 'grey ladies' one of the stones was removed and is now in the dry stone wall nearby as you look towards the stride.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:42:16, 21/07/08 »
Thanks for letting me know.
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy