Author Topic: Thoughts on Waterproof Socks?  (Read 3230 times)

eddycreative

Thoughts on Waterproof Socks?
« on: 22:52:49, 07/07/19 »
Just wondering if anyone has ever used these? I was browsing Amazon not too long back at Christmas and bought a pair of /product/arcticdry-waterproof-socks-medium/]waterproof socks [nofollow] called ArcticDry, they have worked pretty well so far, albeit i do think am i just masking the problem and should i get a decent pair of hiking boots?  ::) ::)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Thoughts on Waterproof Socks?
« Reply #1 on: 08:42:22, 08/07/19 »
Not I - but I do believe that some forum regulars who wear walking shoes are fans - perhaps they will be able to answer.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:58:15, 08/07/19 »
Wore them whilst walking in Sweden, which was very boggy in places. They worked well and were very comfortable. I'm not sure how robust the gore tex liners are, I believe they wear out quite quickly.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:26:39, 08/07/19 »
I use Inov-8 trail shoes all year round so wear then all through autumn,  winter, and early spring. They tend to only last for a year before losing their waterproofness. The ones I used this year seem to be the best but unfortunately I can't remember where I bought them  :-[
I have found that sealskins are the worst (just like their so called waterproof gloves) >:(

taxino8

« Reply #4 on: 19:13:06, 09/07/19 »
This has got me thinking of buying some as I’d love to walk in trail shoes but was worried about getting my feet wet and the problems that can cause.
I’ve been on Amazon looking but it’s a minefield.
Can anyone recommend a decent pair please.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:07:23, 09/07/19 »
I have found that sealskins are the worst (just like their so called waterproof gloves) >:(
I was always under the impression that Sealskins things were waterproof in that they did not get wet, rather than they stopped you getting wet. Certainly my Sealskin gloves have such a large weave that there was no way it could stop water getting through. However, the gloves themselves do not retain water so after a dunking in a stream the water drains back out and my hands dry.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:31:12, 09/07/19 »
In my experience - limited to their gloves - Sealskinz waterproof just means they are insoluble in water.  I've met more waterproof teabags.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:59:35, 09/07/19 »
In my experience - limited to their gloves - Sealskinz waterproof just means they are insoluble in water.  I've met more waterproof teabags.

;D ;D ;D  that had me propper chuckling. O0

Doddy

« Reply #8 on: 15:37:43, 11/07/19 »
I walk in Trail shoes unless deep snow so over the years I have tried a Goretex inner, Otter, Sealskin and Tefaneso waterproof socks.
It does matter a bit regarding the conditions e.g to avoid an hours dew in a morning to deluges. Sealskins did not do it for me; kept my feet fairly dry but cold with some moisture probably from within. Same with Sealskin gloves you have to start off dry and warm but were cold for me.
For the general chance of rain I use the Otter socks; if it is going to be wet for a days I go with the Tefaneso socks,expensive and thicker. The thin Goretex liners had a seam in the instep which was uncomfortable. People in the US swear by Rocky socks but they are difficult to obtain.
Water proof socks are thicker and shoe size affected so beware of that matter. Otter socks are more like a regular sock and could be used as bed sock.

taxino8

« Reply #9 on: 18:39:17, 11/07/19 »
I walk in Trail shoes unless deep snow so over the years I have tried a Goretex inner, Otter, Sealskin and Tefaneso waterproof socks.
It does matter a bit regarding the conditions e.g to avoid an hours dew in a morning to deluges. Sealskins did not do it for me; kept my feet fairly dry but cold with some moisture probably from within. Same with Sealskin gloves you have to start off dry and warm but were cold for me.
For the general chance of rain I use the Otter socks; if it is going to be wet for a days I go with the Tefaneso socks,expensive and thicker. The thin Goretex liners had a seam in the instep which was uncomfortable. People in the US swear by Rocky socks but they are difficult to obtain.
Water proof socks are thicker and shoe size affected so beware of that matter. Otter socks are more like a regular sock and could be used as bed sock.
Thanks for that information.
I actually ordered some from Alpkit last night, I’ve no idea if they are any good but the reviews were ok and Alpkit tend to sell decent stuff so fingers (or toes) crossed they work for me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy