Author Topic: Starter Camping Kit  (Read 1908 times)

Lee R

Starter Camping Kit
« on: 22:07:30, 20/05/20 »
My situation is..... I do very much like walking/hiking/outdoors but I'm also equally into my photography. If I were to combine the two with overnight stays what items & budget would I be looking at?

I think it would mainly be with my teenage boy hiking & photographing sunset, the night skies (milky way & star trails etc) & obviously sunrise. My other half is 50/50 about it.

Would a 'two man' set up be better with the load split between two people or separate per person kit? This is weight, volume & cost I guess.

Tent, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, something to cook/heat water with, water filter.... Anything else? We have rucksacks, boots/socks, baselayers, waterproofs, etc

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Starter Camping Kit
« Reply #1 on: 22:10:51, 20/05/20 »
Have you though of converting your car into a camper.
I did that with my Renault Scenic and my Ford C-Max.

Then you can spend more on cameras and lenses.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:16:31, 20/05/20 »
You might need a tripod for nighttime photography.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:50:34, 20/05/20 »
With tents the price and weight per person come down the more people share a tent.

Lee R

« Reply #4 on: 08:49:04, 21/05/20 »
Have you though of converting your car into a camper.
I did that with my Renault Scenic and my Ford C-Max.

Then you can spend more on cameras and lenses.

Yes I have, but I don't think a Focus is big enough for two people ..? Plus, it doesn't really help with the being on top a mountain or on the beach with night photos and sunrise . Still better than nothing though and saving early alarms and driving time.

Lee R

« Reply #5 on: 08:50:37, 21/05/20 »
You might need a tripod for nighttime photography.

Two of those. A 10 year old very sturdy sea water corroded one for star trails and a newer lighter one for hiking with.

Lee R

« Reply #6 on: 08:51:15, 21/05/20 »
With tents the price and weight per person come down the more people share a tent.

Two person then. That's a start  ;)  thanks 

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:59:21, 21/05/20 »

Yes I have, but I don't think a Focus is big enough for two people ..? Plus, it doesn't really help with the being on top a mountain or on the beach with night photos and sunrise . Still better than nothing though and saving early alarms and driving time.
The Focus Estate has a larger boot area that the C-Max (2007 model).  If I had known that, I would have got the estate.
You can get quite serviceable tents from ebay.
Here is a random one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlander-Blackthorn-2-Man-Ultralight-Camping-Backpacking-Army-Bike-Tent-Green/193087283685
Does have a mass of 3 kg though.

Lee R

« Reply #8 on: 09:20:17, 21/05/20 »
The Focus Estate has a larger boot area that the C-Max (2007 model).  If I had known that, I would have got the estate.
You can get quite serviceable tents from ebay.
Here is a random one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlander-Blackthorn-2-Man-Ultralight-Camping-Backpacking-Army-Bike-Tent-Green/193087283685
Does have a mass of 3 kg though.

It's not an estate. I'd seriously consider a camper of some sort but I don't have anywhere to keep it and Bristol are bringing in a diesel ban ....

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:23:25, 21/05/20 »

Two person then. That's a start  ;)  thanks
If there's two of you and equipment I'd personally recommend going for a 3 person tent.  You won't see that much difference in weight if split between the two of you and will give you that extra little bit of space.

Basics Needed.
Tent
Sleeping bags
Sleeping mats
Cooking equipment
Something to carry it all in

Your biggest expense will probably be the tent, followed by the sleeping bags, cooking equipment, rucksacks and sleeping mats.  Buy the best tent and sleeping bags you can afford, they'll make all the difference between having a thoroughly miserable time or a tolerable one and they'll at least have some resale value should you decide it's not for you.   

« Last Edit: 10:37:46, 21/05/20 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:49:36, 21/05/20 »
It won't be long till the liked of Millets, Mountain Whorehouse and Trespass are open again.
There may be some bargains to be picked up as I an sure the High Street does not need all 3 of them.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:05:05, 21/05/20 »
I personally would also think in the long term as well, would you and you son ant some later date like to go off and do your own thing. If you want to think that way I would go for two one-man tents. I thought that way with my son, I bought one-man units, I carried on but he as a 31-year-old is now no longer interested. Never mind, I now have tent choices and if he wants to he can always start to hike sometime in the future, his tent will still be in our garage.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:45:17, 21/05/20 »
I would choose a roomy two man tent as some models are a squeeze for two to say the least. Sitting headroom is important. Take a look at some of the Chinese copies on ebay or wherever if your budget is tight.

Other than that - keep things simple.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:12:57, 21/05/20 »
I have an ancient 2 man tent that was perfect for me alone on longer trips. It has managed 2 people, but it doesn’t leave much room. Comfort was more important to me than weight.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:22:42, 21/05/20 »
I was also going to put about some 2 man tents being bigger than others. Also check the porch size as you will need somewhere to stash your gear etc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy