Author Topic: A change in the natural order?  (Read 1521 times)

andybr

A change in the natural order?
« on: 15:40:49, 21/07/19 »
Having just returned home from our annual summer trip to the North West Highlands I find myself wondering whether the Tick has now replaced the Midge as the biggest irritant in the outdoors UK. The numbers we needed to remove seem to have exploded out of recognition compared to even just a few years ago. Is this the new norm?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: A change in the natural order?
« Reply #1 on: 16:38:17, 21/07/19 »
I sure  hope not, if there is one thing in the world I hate more that midges, it has to be ticks. :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:37:21, 21/07/19 »
But at least you can still count individual ticks - midges are counted by weight!
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:04:43, 21/07/19 »
I hear this about Ticks, in all the years and places Ive been in the hills, including much Munro baggin many times off path cross country, through long grass and heather etc, wearing shorts, Ive never picked up  a single Tick, although I do regularly check just in case.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:27:51, 21/07/19 »
Several reports online link the increase in range and numbers of ticks with climate change.

I've not had any on me since I started using Smidge, I can't recommend it enough, I feel I'm on a mission to spread the word.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:07:21, 21/07/19 »
Several reports online link the increase in range and numbers of ticks with climate change.

I've not had any on me since I started using Smidge, I can't recommend it enough, I feel I'm on a mission to spread the word.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Smidge had no effect on ticks.  Thought it was purely for midges which are a completely different species to ticks which belong to the spider family.

I do hope I'm wrong as I won't need to carry the  shotgun , dynamite and flamethrower as protection against my pathological,  (and probably illogical) fear of ticks

Too little, too late, too bad......

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:58:34, 21/07/19 »
Permethrin is what you're looking for against ticks on your ankles etc - unfortunately they were all over in Scotland my last few trips, but you're better looking at the season as to whether they're going to be biting or not.  They are quite stubborn little things and frankly I'd rather deal with midges.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:36:28, 21/07/19 »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Smidge had no effect on ticks.  Thought it was purely for midges which are a completely different species to ticks which belong to the spider family.

https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/ticks/

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:59:19, 21/07/19 »
https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/ticks/
Thanks Fernman. I will proceed to purchase Smidge tomorrow a.m. O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

andyapanel

« Reply #9 on: 13:17:03, 22/07/19 »
Last Spring I returned from a walking trip in France with a Tick.
I had read about them and always walked with boots and long trousers; this little blighter was found by my wife in my armpit when I complained of soreness there. Thankfully, no Lymes.
I used insect repellent each night, but of course, Ticks are Arachnids, so I can't blame the spray.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:24:29, 22/07/19 »
Last Spring I returned from a walking trip in France with a Tick.
You didn't declare it?  :o
Solvitur Ambulando

andybr

« Reply #11 on: 17:05:03, 22/07/19 »
Oddly enough I currently use Smidge but the best I can say for it is that it is at least as effective as most of the other sprays. None of them seem to be a total success. The best one I have used is the Lifesystems one with Myrtle oil but I am nervous about Deet based sprays around my photography gear so Smidge seems a reasonable alternative.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:31:37, 22/07/19 »
I take care to keep my ankles well covered up when I'm walking in the heather. Close fitting Ron Hill 'Tracksters' with foot loops work a treat.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:48:37, 23/07/19 »
Good idea to tuck your baselayer in before sitting in long grass or heather too - a friend of mine neglected to do so in Knoydart many years ago, and ended up with several dozen ticks around his waistline, which understandably freaked him out somewhat.

Thinking about the OP - this would have been in the late 1980's so it would appear that there have always been hotspots where deer densities are high - perhaps it is the deer that are on the increase?
« Last Edit: 19:38:19, 23/07/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:04:47, 23/07/19 »
On a recent trip to Snowdonia my wife accrued one tick and the dog two. I have never found tick to be a problem in Snowdonia before. I know that in many places of the UK ticks are becoming resistant to the tick treatments and mild winters will also help them along.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy