Author Topic: Your favourite colourful Autumn walk locations?  (Read 2645 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
It's that time of year again, when the leaves start to change colour and you can get some spectacular Autumn walks.

I would like some suggestions of peoples favourite scenic Autumn walks in the UK and Ireland. Not only will it give me possible walks but also give other members some ideas, not only this year but in coming years too if this thread is updated  O0
« Last Edit: 11:46:03, 24/09/17 by bricam2096 »
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Your favourite colourful Autumn walk locations?
« Reply #1 on: 09:47:30, 24/09/17 »
The High Weald Trail in Kent and Sussex, especially the section from Tunbridge Wells to Rye. Scrumping bliss!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:09:13, 24/09/17 »
Strid woods near Bolton Abbey in Wharfedale.  I was brought up near there and still try to get back for an autumn fix.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:38:52, 24/09/17 »
Photos would be great too, preferably not Photoshopped as this isn't what your eyes see  :D

Good idea to share these locations, but I question the antipathy against photo editing. Does the camera see that which our eye sees?
Prior to digital cameras many photographers would carry a collection of filters to persuade the emulsion to give them the results that portrayed the image as a true likeness.

Many menu driven modern digital cameras may be duped by the intensity of colour that autumn brings. A tightening of levels or adjustment of the curves in the histogram can bring the image taken more in line with the landscape that was seen.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:09:19, 24/09/17 »

Good idea to share these locations, but I question the antipathy against photo editing. Does the camera see that which our eye sees?
Prior to digital cameras many photographers would carry a collection of filters to persuade the emulsion to give them the results that portrayed the image as a true likeness.

Many menu driven modern digital cameras may be duped by the intensity of colour that autumn brings. A tightening of levels or adjustment of the curves in the histogram can bring the image taken more in line with the landscape that was seen.

there's a difference between subtle editing and overdoing it, which a few are guilty of doing....sadly.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:38:47, 24/09/17 »
Do the few outnumber the many, who may be intimidated by an overused generality, and are hesitant to improve their images. Experimentation is the driving force of creativity, I can suffer a few cack handed examples to see the one piece of original work that breaks the mould.
BWW

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:51:32, 24/09/17 »
I despair  :-\

I have removed the requests (not photoshopped) comment from the original post....to please "the few"

anyway, moving on...anyone got any ideas????

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:49:28, 24/09/17 »
Along the Derwent in Borrowdale.  Exe Valley and Exmoor.
Solvitur Ambulando

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:50:23, 24/09/17 »
A couple in the Yorkshire Dales:

Billy Banks Wood, which runs alongside the River Swale in Richmond, and also Grass Wood in Grassington.

The end of October & early November is the best time to go there.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:37:44, 24/09/17 »
Westonbirt Arboretum. It's forestry commision with an admission charge so not a free walk - though there is a PROW bridlepath that runs through one part. The maples are just gorgeous.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:19:35, 24/09/17 »
You can see some fabulous Autumn colours in Milton Keynes  8)  and get giddy on the roundabouts  ::)

Regards Keith

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:25:47, 24/09/17 »
The High Weald Trail in Kent and Sussex

+1

And not just the Trail itself.  Ashdown Forest, which is traversed by the Wealdway and the Vanguard Way, has masses of russet-coloured bracken in autumn.  Buxted Park, on the Wealdway, is good for autumn colours too.

stuartpb

« Reply #12 on: 07:50:25, 25/09/17 »
For a gentle autumn stroll I enjoy walking alongside the river Don, from Hexthorpe Flatts Park to Sprotbrough or Conisbrough. You pick up the Trans Penine Trail when you cross the disused railway bridge (now a footbridge) from the Hexthorpe side of the Don over to the Sprotbrough side. At the other side of the bridge you can walk in one direction towards Cusworth Hall or take the steps down to the path that leads either towards Doncaster or the other way to Sprotbrough. Once heading in that direction you come to Sprotbrough locks and if you keep going a little further you come to Sprotbrough Flash, a great nature reserve. I’ve walked there for over 30 years now and never get bored of it. Autumn is the best time to walk it too, most of the walk up to the Locks is under cover of trees. I’ll take some photos when I walk there this weekend with my family.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:16:48, 25/09/17 »
I despair  :-\

Despair ye not, I remember well the gaudy array of colours that prompted that part of your post.

Were it not for the pecuniary depredations of the iniquitous Photobucket I would have had a link of an image of a wondrous array of autumn colours. A mile or more of Permissive way, though I think it is now in Open Access along the top edge of the Eglwysegs near Llangollen will give a grandstand view from the tips of your toes toes to the far horizon, if caught right. Such a narrow time frame, but well worth it if timing and light are caught right.
BWW

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:35:45, 25/09/17 »
Strid woods near Bolton Abbey in Wharfedale.  I was brought up near there and still try to get back for an autumn fix.
x2, you took the words right out of my gob. Lovely along there. O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy