Author Topic: STONEHENGE TO WOODHENGE - SATURDAY 23 APRIL 2011  (Read 4533 times)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
On  Saturday 23rd April during a long weekend in Salisbury, we decided to visit Stonehenge but I didn’t want to do it in the normal touristy way.  So after searching the net I found a great little walk which started from the village of Amesbury. However, as it turned out the bus route had changed as this was an old map and we had to get off at Amesbury bus station and try to get our bearings. By the map I knew we needed to find Countess Road and so we asked someone and apparently we were right next to it. We headed up the road until we came to a busy new roundabout and from here I couldn’t fathom where we were in relation to the map. We crossed under the subway (newly opened) and then crossed the road to head west as Lynne noticed Countess Farm so that became our reference point. However, as we started walking on rough terrain beside the main A303 road it just didn’t feel right. After consulting the map again I realised we had taken the wrong direction and suddenly the map became clear! So we did a quick double-back and headed along Countess Road until we came to the track with the sign for Old King Barrows:  

From here we found ourselves walking along a pleasant country lane in absolutely glorious weather!  

Then we came upon a sign for THE NILE CLUMPS. These are believed to have been planted in the early 19th century to commemorate Admiral Nelson.  

And these are THE NILE CLUMPS.  

After awhile we came to a grass track which was directing us along KING BARROWS RIDGE.  

Eventually we came to an information board.  

Here we are looking across THE AVENUE towards STONEHENGE in the distance. This was the processional route taken to Stonehenge.  

And here are some of the Barrows.  

Here’s part of The Avenue.  

And now as we walked down across The Avenue the imposing sight of STONEHENGE became visible.  

Of course we couldn’t walk this far and not join the tourist trap and pay to go in along with our mobile phone like information assistant wrapped around our necks! Very informative they were too and these, at least, were free!  

So here are a few snaps of the iconic STONEHENGE itself, along with the less than iconic me and Lynne!  

Now, after finishing our butties and partaking of an ice cream we headed onto the next leg of our walk, past the visitor centre and along the track to cross the fields towards THE CURSUS BARROWS. Here they are!  

Next we left the CURSUS BARROWS and headed along THE CURSUS itself.  

Here we lay down for awhile and soaked in the peace and solitude and found some shade under some trees, the only sound birdsong.  

And a final look back at STONEHENGE as we made our way to our next destination, the enigma that is WOODHENGE. I had never even heard of this until I found this walk.  

And here’s an information board at the entrance to WOODHENGE (free to get in by the way). Here’s some photos.  

And so ended a lovely walk in fantastic weather and we learned a lot we didn’t know beforehand. It was a fascinating and informative walk with some great views and STONEHENGE was of course superb!  

Hope you enjoyed my Trip Report.  

Steve

Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
Re: STONEHENGE TO WOODHENGE - SATURDAY 23 APRIL 2011
« Reply #1 on: 20:51:59, 26/04/11 »
Nice one Steve, looks like you had a great day  O0

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:59:15, 26/04/11 »
lovely pics steve! Brings back loads of memories for me, thanks for sharing O0
In it for the socials

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:25:55, 26/04/11 »
Great photo's and report,look's a cracking walk.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:44:37, 26/04/11 »
Here's the link to this walk folks. Just ignore the first page about the buses because we found out the hard way they no longer run to Countess Road from Salisbury! You have to get off at Amesbury bus station and then walk about a mile along Countess Road before you reach the start of the walk.

http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/xsdbimgs/Stonehenge%20walk%20and%20instructions(1).pdf

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

flowerpot

« Reply #5 on: 23:10:55, 26/04/11 »
They are great photos, I love that area for walking.  If you ever get the chance go to the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge when you get the chance to be right  in the middle of the stones.... amazing if slightly bizarre  :o   :o  experience - strange scent in the air ???  not sure what it could have been!

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:02:28, 27/04/11 »
Lovely day and lovely pics Steve  :)
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:38:47, 27/04/11 »
Good stuff, GMHS!

Not been down that way in years. But it's always good to get a good walk in, and if you learn a bit on the way, so much the better!  O0

bootson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:09:24, 27/04/11 »
Glad you enjoyed your day. That is a nice walk with lots to see, done it quite a few times now  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy