Author Topic: Wlaking advice for weekend 26th January  (Read 1820 times)

inthebagbud

Wlaking advice for weekend 26th January
« on: 19:29:02, 23/01/19 »

Hi

Short term lurker on the boards looking for some advice; first though a little about me .

Middle aged and come back to walking as a lot do after kids etc and decided it was cheaper ( well I thought) than a fast car and I have no need to trade the missus in as she is a treasure, so a bit of fresh air and fitness ticks the boxes.

For walking I like going up and walk on the tops and open moorland rather than walking on the flat and look for an average distance between 20/25K in the session with summer walks around 30K.

I like to walk a circular route - no back down the route I have walked unless really necessary

I am ok with map and compass not orienteering style or night time (yet) and have made sure I have proper kit for the different seasons and have no issue walking in rain - as they say no such thing as being wet just inappropriate clothing

Any way to my question

I am determined to carry on with winter walking but have no knowledge or experience of the Dales and have come up with 2 alternative walks for this weekend being

1. Buckden - up Buckden Beck and then down to Starbottom, back up Starbottom Fell then across to Tor Mere Top across to Buckden Pike and down back to Buckden via Cow Close - my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjE3NDM2MQ==

2. From Ribblehead upto Whernside Tarn across to Rigg end then following the Dales Way back to Gayle Moor and back to Ribblehead - my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjE1ODUyMQ==

So my questions are based around the conditions

1. what are access roads like around the area when it has snowed as it has been doing - I have to travel and hour and half so don't know the conditions of roads for driving and don't want to waste my time
2. do people have experience of the Buckden route in winter?
3. The Dales Way route has a lot of road walking (which I'm not  a great fan off  but needs must) are these likely to be icey as there is a gradient around the viaduct

Any advice greatly received

Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Wlaking advice for weekend 26th January
« Reply #1 on: 07:08:14, 25/01/19 »
Welcome to the forum inthebagbud

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjE3NDM2MQ==
Your Buckden route looks as if you will be all but climbing the same hill three times! I'm all for the exercise but personally would go for another hill to extend the route. Why not Starbotton - Buckden Pike - Tor Mere Top - Great Whernside - Kettlewell - Starbotton.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjE1ODUyMQ==
I've climbed Whernside from a similar direction (although I started a bit further away). A bit of a boring plod from the East, but I descended SE from the summit to Chapel le Dale (or, more specifically, the Hill Inn), before climbing Ingleborough (steep!). You could then return to your starting point at Ribblehead over Park Fell.

As for the roads - who knows? The road to Ribblehead does go pretty high. Check the forecast before you go.
« Last Edit: 07:21:35, 25/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

inthebagbud

Re: Wlaking advice for weekend 26th January
« Reply #2 on: 16:04:30, 25/01/19 »

Richard

Many thanks

My thought process was to have a longish walk Whernside with a backup shorter walk Buckden depending on the weather and I specifically wanted to put in the waterfalls at Buckden and didn't want to overstretch the day, although I would have included middle tongue but unsure of the terrain at this time of year .

Great Whernside is planned in a for a full summer walk to try and do a circular route starting at Grassington or similar

I have already done Whernside, Ingleborough https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjA1MDM5MA== [nofollow]and I try to stay clear again as there is so much variety to look at and that steep down and up just doesn't do anything for me

Going to depend on forecast which isn't great for visibility which is leaning me to Whernside which is slightly lower and don't want bad visibility going up Buckden waterfalls

But it all might be mute as sat at home with backache at moment which feels like a pull of something - missus not going to be happy if I'm sat at home tomorrow like a bear  with a sore head  :-\ ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy