Author Topic: Any one not use a sit mat?  (Read 2840 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Any one not use a sit mat?
« Reply #15 on: 13:52:23, 17/03/20 »
Yes - just an Ebay (Chinese) 99p version

High density foam.
Folds up to not much more than a 'fag-packet'
Weight 25 grams
Waterproof & keeps the sharp stones from digging 'in ya bum'

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:54:31, 17/03/20 »
I always carry two sit mats, one to sit on and one to put my bare feet on.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:38:47, 17/03/20 »
Great comments and pretty much what I was expecting.  Take a look across the net at kit lists for a trip to the mountains though and the handy little [censored] either don't get mentioned along side the midge net and sun glasses or even worse a few sites pooh pooh them as a bit of a pointless gimmick.

Perhaps we are all just a bunch of low land softies on here. ;D

Seriously though, as well as being handy day to day, for quick stops, I consider mine part of my emergency kit should I become immobilised. Decent insulation from cold ground can be a life saver.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:41:17, 17/03/20 »
Not to mention one of the better ways to ease aching piles :-\  :D
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:40:38, 17/03/20 »
I don't carry one but I certainly don't deride those that do - each to their own. If I can't find a decent rock or log, I'll just sit on my cagoule or rucksack.

Richard, just to let you know you are not alone, I follow your school of thought  O0

watershed

« Reply #20 on: 18:03:14, 17/03/20 »
I don't bother on a day walk.
But I do take one on a longer Hike where I am camping. I find it useful to place in front of the tent door so I can crawl out without wetting knees. I then stand on it to keep my feet dry as I get my boots on.
Funny enough I can't ever remember using it to sit on.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:07:53, 17/03/20 »
Nice comfy chair for me, with a backrest,
Worth its weight in gold after a good walk and even more so if camping,
April and I use them in the tent without the chair legs, to lean against, no more ""dead arms"
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:42:59, 17/03/20 »
I don't sit down on a walk. Snack breaks are taken standing up so my legs stay fresh.
If camping, and thus sitting down in the evening, I'll have my sleeping mat anyway.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:05:54, 17/03/20 »
A sit mat is the best value bit of kit I ever bought. Makes lumpy rocks comfy, stops you getting a wet bum and insulates from cold ground/rocks in winter. Yes you have to remember it when you get up. It might blow away and it is very annoying to find you have closed up the rucksack and forgotten it, usually whilst still sat on it!

Regarding just sitting in the rucksack, well, mine ain't very comfy.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:07:01, 18/03/20 »
Got given a tiny one years ago and it lives in the rucksack hydration bladder space .  This has the happy side effect of my back heating it up for a heated foam seat for my stops - luxury!  It's also used to insulate my feet in the tent since I usually cut my mats short to save space/weight.

For MRT use it's not going to work as well though because you're usually out in all conditions, and need something heavier which won't be flying around + robust.  Many rescue teams are issued with larger insulating pads which do a similar job but about 4x the size, can sleep on them and protect casualty from hypothermia.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:32:37, 18/03/20 »
it is very annoying to find you have closed up the rucksack and forgotten it, usually whilst still sat on it!

Yes I do that more often than not!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:55:43, 18/03/20 »
I don't have a sit mat. I find that a plastic bag is sufficient to sit on. Alternatively, I might lean against a gate or tree while I have my packed lunch. I never sit on my rucksack.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:57:38, 18/03/20 »
So do I.  I was expressing this problem to a friend, (new to walking) as she was suffering from sit-mat envy, saying she would buy one at the next outdoor shop she came to.  Ten minutes later we rounded a corner, and there sitting on a rock was a sit-mat, no doubt left behind by the previous walker.  A posh one, with some fancy brand name stamped on it.  She now has a much classier sit mat than I have!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:58:57, 18/03/20 »
By so do I, I mean close up the rucksack while still sitting on the mat.  Should have used the quote thing.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:32:33, 18/03/20 »
Ten minutes later we rounded a corner, and there sitting on a rock was a sit-mat, no doubt left behind by the previous walker.  A posh one, with some fancy brand name stamped on it.
Obviously not mine then!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy