Author Topic: TR: Oh No! I’ve been T*******ing Again!  (Read 1960 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
TR: Oh No! I’ve been T*******ing Again!
« on: 19:59:04, 28/02/21 »
Final walk of the month.  It's a beautiful day.  So I decided to do my Kelsey Gardens walk - a walk I usually drive a few miles to in order to avoid the 2 miles there, 2 miles back of disused rail track and just do the "interesting" bit. 

I knew it would be about 8 miles in total and that I would be out for 3 or 4 hours so I took a snack and a drink.

My original plan was to plodge up the rail track to Kelsey Gardens, stop and have a break then plodge back along Burstwick Drain.  Buuut, with it being such a glorious day, the world and his wife was also plodging up the rail track, cyclists, families, dog walkers, joggers.  Although it was lovely to see everyone out enjoying the sunshine, it really was very busy and I was lucky to get this shot of the track with nobody on it:

After a while though, it became tiresome doing the apologetic skirting round the edge of the path whilst whoever you was passing did the same in the opposite direction whilst saying cheery hellos, thank yous and commenting on the madness that is the new normal of late. 

Last time I walked up this way I spotted a tractor tyre track leading off the RoW and made a mental note to explore it when it wasn't flooded.  As I walked past it today, I decided now was that time:

This turned out to be an excellent choice.  Not only because I managed to avoid at least 20 people on the main rail track whilst I walked in blissful solitude but because I was very sheltered from the breeze which, despite the warmth of the sun, was a bit nippy.  There was also lots of birds flitting in and out of the bushes and scrubland and I heard my first skylark of the year.

Eventually I reached a set of sturdy gates.  Locked.  Oh no!  I couldn't complain seeing as I was currently t*******ing.  Luckily, the patch of scrubland to my left was familiar from my last walk here and I soon realised I could blaze a trail across it to get onto Pinfold Lane in Burstwick:

Apologies for the finger - I'm still getting used to my new phone/camera  :-[

A short walk through the village in the sunshine had me thinking, if I was in an unfamiliar area, this would be one of those sleepy hollows - cute but you just pass through as you head to to hills. 

I eventually got onto Newbridge Road which peters out into a single track lane at the bottom, but I turn off before then:

I turned off the lane and onto the drain bank:

Considering all the rain/snow we've had recently, I'm surprised the water level is so low.

A right turn, and up the gentle slope of Kelsey Hill.  This is technically a t******* if you're a map/RoW purist although locally, Ian the manager of Kelsey Gardens, has cut some paths across it to follow. 

Long views towards Keyingham from the top:

Dropping down off the hill and I avoided "Brian's Walk" - the pedestrian route to Kelsey Gardens as there was a group of yoofs coming down it and it's only about 5ft wide (plus, it was really muddy).  Instead, I followed the rough road to the small car park which most folks use if they're coming here to kayak or wild swim (or just walk their dogs the 200 metres to the butty van).

The butty van was open!  Sod the snack and drink I'd brought with me.  I was having me a bacon sarnie and coffee!  I accidentally paid for a slice of lemon drizzle cake too (shame that).  The seating area outside the butty van is cordoned off at the moment and there was a one way system in place for ordering your food.  I thought it only right that I tested out the procedure and took my feast to a conveniently placed log on the edge of the woodland near the van.  What a lovely view:

After my feast I headed off down the rail track - this is the part of the track I usually walk when I'm doing this circuit and normally my car is parked at the end of it.  Not today though.  It was still incredibly rutted and muddy and I did ponder for too long on the lone pebble in the middle of this semi-permanent pond on the track - was it supposed to be a stepping stone?  Not a very useful stepping stone if so!:

As I navigated my way round the rutted muddiness I heard hooves behind me.  I also heard them slow right down to allow me to navigate my way round the ruts, rather than them just splishing through and no doubt coating me in a layer of said mud!  We had a bit of a natter (yep you guessed it... how being on the back of an 'oss is an excellent way to maintain social distancing!).  They tarried on their way:

I reached the road where my car is usually parked, but this time, I crossed the road for, oh, more railtrack.  To be fair, I've not walked this particular bit for years, and years and years:

I did have to chuckle as I neared the end where the old station has been turned into little cottages:

Sorry, couldn't help myself there - I've not mentioned yoga for a while  :D

Across the next road and all that remained was the 2 mile plodge down.... wait for it.... yep, you guessed it.....the rail track!  Once again, this bit of it was chokka full of people so I decided to t******* around the field edges instead:

...AAaaaaand back on the track again:

As I got near to Hedon again I decided to t******* around another field edge as I was pretty sure it would bring me out "round the back of" the water storage pond thing.  Glad I did as I spotted these on the side of the field drain:

Anyone know what they are?  Daisy of some sort perhaps?

I also discovered a little path through some woodland with a very dodgy looking tree branch bridge crossing another field drain.  I didn't cross it as the mud down the bank was too slippery - but it's earmarked for a very VERY dry day.

All in all, seeing as I wasn't relishing the thought of the dull plodge along the rail track, I really enjoyed this walk and wouldn't object to doing it again now I've found a way of reducing the monotony of said rail track.

My legs ache pleasantly too, which is always a sign of a good walk.

Thanks for reading  :)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: Oh No! I’ve been T*******ing Again!
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:07, 28/02/21 »
Nice pics Mel  O0 And an amusing write up as usual  :)

Bad luck about accidentally paying for the cake  ;D

Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:22:43, 28/02/21 »
Great write up Mel.
So brave of you supporting local businesses by selflessly stuffing your face with bacon butty and cake.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:33:21, 28/02/21 »
Great report again, a nice countryside outing and many people well avoided.  O0

That rail track is much like the Bridgewater Way canal path here, considerably busier in the past year since lockdowns than ever before. With the cyclists it's like the Tour de France at times.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:10:29, 28/02/21 »
A lovely descriptive report . I could taste that bacon sandwich..You will be Mr Bww`s hero with all that t********** .. O0

Some lovely photos , especially of the open land toward Keyingham , my favourite sort of walking ..  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:36:11, 01/03/21 »
Great TR. From your pics it looks positively deserted.

Pretty sure the yellow flower is Coltsfoot.
Coincidentally I found some yesterday along an old railway track, now a cycle/foot path. They're unusual round here and seem to like places where hardcore inhibits more lush undergrowth and makes the soil more alkaline than the local soil
« Last Edit: 09:52:38, 01/03/21 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:21:40, 01/03/21 »
Nice one, Mel, an enjoyable read!  O0

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:55:37, 01/03/21 »
Love your sense of fun Mel! O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:06:22, 01/03/21 »
Cracking TR Mel - You do seem to have a recurring problem around accidentally ordering Lemon Drizzle Cake. O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:46:18, 01/03/21 »
Enjoyable TR and lovely photos Mel   :)  Spring is in the air

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:34:08, 01/03/21 »
Great fun report Mel. The unexpected lemon drizzle cake sounds good, though I would have gone for coffee and walnut  O0  We heard and saw a skylark here about ten days ago. Well we thought we saw two several days apart but then realised it may have been the same one as it was almost the same area! Its lovely to see all these signs of spring.  The daffodils have recovered after getting squashed by the snow.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:18:49, 01/03/21 »
Aye coltsfoot, not seen any out round here yet.
OMG YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING TO STRANGERS
weirdo  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:03:43, 01/03/21 »
Nice selection of photos there, Mel, great to have some decent weather at last.

And good to see the Coltsfoot in flower, reminds me of Orkney.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:27:37, 01/03/21 »
Nice pics Mel  O0 And an amusing write up as usual  :)

Bad luck about accidentally paying for the cake  ;D

Cheers April.  Have to confess, I'm still traumatised by the experience  :D

Great write up Mel.
So brave of you supporting local businesses by selflessly stuffing your face with bacon butty and cake.

Thanks Ridge. I like to do my bit for the local community  ;D

Great report again, a nice countryside outing and many people well avoided.  O0

That rail track is much like the Bridgewater Way canal path here, considerably busier in the past year since lockdowns than ever before. With the cyclists it's like the Tour de France at times.

Thanks VGH. Yes, everywhere seems to have got a lot busier of late, selfishly I'm hoping this will change once pubs and gyms open again  :D

A lovely descriptive report . I could taste that bacon sandwich..You will be Mr Bww`s hero with all that t********** .. O0

Some lovely photos , especially of the open land toward Keyingham , my favourite sort of walking ..  :)

Ta G&P.  I think BWW knows I have a fondness for trespass, sorry, exploring uncharted territory  ;)  I do like rolling countryside too but I just wish it rolled a bit more round here!

Great TR. From your pics it looks positively deserted.

Pretty sure the yellow flower is Coltsfoot.
Coincidentally I found some yesterday along an old railway track, now a cycle/foot path. They're unusual round here and seem to like places where hardcore inhibits more lush undergrowth and makes the soil more alkaline than the local soil

Oh trust me Jac, the desertedness was just carefully timed photography!  Cheers for the plant ID - I'm going to update my blog and claim that I knew this all along  >:D

Ta fernman and Dodgylegs  :)

Cracking TR Mel - You do seem to have a recurring problem around accidentally ordering Lemon Drizzle Cake. O0

Cheers Paul.  You've got it all wrong this time I'm afraid - it was the jacket tatie that I accidentally ordered  ;D

Thanks Dovegirl and rural roamer. Spring is definitely in the air - my pussy willow is pussying/willowing/growing fluffy things  :)

Aye coltsfoot, not seen any out round here yet.
OMG YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING TO STRANGERS
weirdo  :)

Ta pleb.  Weirdo?  Hurrrraaaay, you've finally realised  :D

Nice selection of photos there, Mel, great to have some decent weather at last.

And good to see the Coltsfoot in flower, reminds me of Orkney.

Thanks Richard.  Yes, the weather this last weekend was fantastic.  I think that was summer  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:16:42, 02/03/21 »
Thanks Dovegirl and rural roamer. Spring is definitely in the air - my pussy willow is pussying/willowing/growing fluffy things  :)

Censor on holiday ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy